Would you still be as engaged in Dragonball fandom if Super did not exist?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FubukiFoxx
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Would you still be as engaged in Dragonball fandom if Super did not exist?

Post by FubukiFoxx » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:06 am

I probably wouldn't have, I think.
I first started watching the series a few years ago when I was 13-14, but while I may not have the childhood nostalgia, it definitely holds a place in my heart, because I so enjoyed watching the original Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z (though I got a little bored during the Buu Saga) during my first two years of highschool (in Australia, we just have primary and highschool; no middle school). Even so, I don't think I would have stuck around if the series was well and truly finished; I did watch a little bit of Kai, but that was basically only the Saiyan and Frieza sagas (I quite enjoyed the latter; this was back when I still watched dubs, and I quite liked the acting), but asides from that, looking at the occasional discussion or having the odd daydream about Goku and his friends, I was basically done with the series.

Then Super started up, and I find myself back involved with the series. c:
For all its flaws, I'm glad we have it, because I could never be desperate enough to watch GT (except maybe for SSJ4; I will admit, that's cool). Its had rocky spots (we all remember episode 5), but I wouldn't be here talking about it if I didn't enjoy it.

Edit: I forgot to mention, it was actually DBZA that got me into the series! I know it sounds crazy, but I'd never actually heard of the show before that (no one really talked about it in my town, and I didn't have the internet much to use when I was a kid, either). I think the first episode I saw was that one where Vegeta comes back to Earth and he's wearing a pink shirt, and robot Frieza is fittingly talking like a robot.

[spoiler]Plus, it's also really fun to join a community to talk about all of this stuff; I never used to be one for forums, but it's quite enjoyable.[/spoiler]
"I think we're gonna play with the cosmic space dragon. He's funny, but he needs better manners."

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:02 am

The only reason I joined this forum was due to SSB getting announced and I wanted to get opinions. After RoF which I hated I wanted to know what others felt. Super has just been a continuation of the Dragonball franchise. Prior to this there was nothing that evoked a strong enough reaction to talk about it often. I watched Z and GT whenever i wanted due to my Funimation sub and never felt a need to engage regularly.

So RoF brought me here but Super has kept me here for better or for worse.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:24 am

I agree that a lot of topics has been discussed to death, but I would still be here if super didn't exist. I miss the ye olden days of dragonball sites and the crappy gifs and pictures etc but Kanzenshuu will always be my home for Dragonball conversations.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:29 pm

Yes since I have been on the DB online fandom for nearly 17 years. The DB online fandom is still active after the series ended in both Japan and America.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Given I don't care about Super, yes.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:11 pm

I mean, Dragon Ball has always played a huge part in my life. I couldn't imagine living my life without it to some degree. I've always loved being able to watch the show or read the manga or talking to people I meet socially and online when I felt nostalgiac.

Of course there have been times I consumed it more than others, but even with the old content I never tired of watching or reading it, especially when Kai came along and the new music and improved English voice acting made me feel like I was experiencing the series for the first time all over again (and hopefully it will be the same with the Ocean dub).

Super has helped by providing new material, but in all honesty it was more a case of adding to the new lore Battle of Gods gave us to talk about. That was the point I really felt the urge to be involved in the fandom on a more than casual level.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:29 pm

I'd be more engaged if Super didn't exist.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:32 pm

BoG the movie is what got me into it and I would've been fine with getting one movie every 1-2 years or something along those lines. It's not like DB doesn't have a bunch of other stuff released already that can't hold you over for the wait.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:45 pm

I was active in the Dragon Ball community in a 13-year drought (2000-2013), and already had been here for six years before BoG dropped. Other interests come and go (anime as a whole apart from Dragon Ball hasn’t been on my radar in over a decade), but Dragon Ball has timeless, perpetual purchase in my consciousness and in a weird way is part of my identity. I may not be quite as active here, but I’m sure I’d still continue my tradition of snagging the yearly Dragon Ball video game releases and rewatching the series every few years.

So yeah.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:26 am

precita wrote:I used to be heavily active in Dragonball fandom back in 1998-2005, basically when Dragonball Z was huge in the U.S. and the dub was at the height of it's popularity airing wise. I was on all the major forums at the time, anime or videogame sites, etc. However after around 2005 I generally finished watching the entire series and took a 10 year break from Dragonball fandom. I occasionally checked out the new videogames and the few specials we got, but I didn't even watch Kai. I of course watched the Beerus movie in 2013 and just assumed it was a one off thing.

Around 2015 when both Return of F and Super was confirmed I thought it was the obvious time to return to the fandom and have been here since. Had Super never existed and we just gotten movies or specials or whatever, I probably would not have gotten back into the series full-time.

Would you still be as engaged in Dragonball fandom if there wasn't a new series airing currently? I feel like all the older material has been discussed to death, which is why you could look through the archives of this site and see the same posts or debates about stuff that happened in Dragonball/Z/GT/movies or the manga that are exactly the same as the stuff people say today. After 20 years nothing has changed, besides the new stuff like Super that didn't exist back then.

Thoughts?
I would be engaged but at one point you run out of topics if there's nothing new. So no, I wouldn't be as engaged.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:26 am

Not so engaged, admittedly, but I would still have signed on here and discuss a lot of stuff.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:50 am

I would have been more engaged had Super not existed

Seriously. I've been active DBZF & Kanzenshuu member. May not popped new topics or post overly analytical/thought-provoking posts, but I enjoy posting/talkin just abt anythin abt DragonBall

Till dat abomination came, like flops arriving at the month of January & gradually decreased postin as it inflicted such a psychological & emotional transformation on me it'll take 2 pages for me to explain.

Many shows come & go. Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurourin Kenshin, HXH, Saint Seiya etc

Only few has the dormant staying power. DragonBall franchise had conquered/charmed a generation (90's) of legion of fanbase & they best they could come-up with is.......super.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:10 am

Dragon Ball was my first anime ever going back 20 years. It's been with me longer than not. I will still be into dragon ball regardless of super. It's such a special show to me I honestly don't think I could get tired of it.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:23 pm

I actually joined a bit after super started, but super was never really the reason I joined this forum. But yea I would be as engaged in DB without Super, lol. Just don't care for it.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:44 pm

Vijay wrote:I would have been more engaged had Super not existed

Seriously. I've been active DBZF & Kanzenshuu member. May not popped new topics or post overly analytical/thought-provoking posts, but I enjoy posting/talkin just abt anythin abt DragonBall

Till dat abomination came, like flops arriving at the month of January & gradually decreased postin as it inflicted such a psychological & emotional transformation on me it'll take 2 pages for me to explain.

Only few has the dormant staying power. DragonBall franchise had conquered/charmed a generation (90's) of legion of fanbase & they best they could come-up with is.......super.
Please do. Because this statement otherwise is awful, there's hyperbole and then there's taking it too far, it's just a cartoon from Japan, it's bloody fiction people have had genuine shit happen to them that's psychologically and emotionally affected them and you're sat here telling us that a fictional cartoon aimed at children from Japan has basically traumatized you? I'm at a sheer loss for words here.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm right there with you. Except my involvement in the community has increased, because I am one of those people that just cannot understand how the fanbase is letting Toei and co. get away with this garbage.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:23 pm

Oh I would absolutely still be here. In fact, I've gotten more involved recently not because of Dragon Ball Super, but because I've grown more confident and mature as a person. I feel like I can actually contribute in a meaningful way now (as far as contributing to a fandom can be meaningful), as opposed to before when I often felt too insecure about putting my own thoughts and opinions out there, afraid of backlash and whatnot.

It helps that Dragon Ball is my number one favorite franchise in the world; Super's existence hasn't changed that in any way. I also cannot put into words how much I appreciate Kanzenshuu's professional approach to the franchise and the fandom. That, more than anything else, is probably what has kept me around all this time.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been blatantly inspired by Akira Toriyama's manga.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:53 pm

I was in before Super since 2001 (I dropped out from 2004-2007 but came back with the Orange Bricks. If Super was never a thing I would be perfectly content just rewatching what we had.

Prolly wouldn't discuss as much though.

Ariesx222

Post by Ariesx222 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:40 pm

Yes. While I love DB Super, I been a fan since 1998.
I watched DBZ clips/listened to at least one piece of the soundtrack everyday since I got my first computer which was ~2005-2006

Continues to inspire me well into adulthood

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:44 pm

Seriously. I've been an active DBZF & Kanzenshuu member. May not popped new topics or post overly analytical/thought-provoking posts, but I enjoy posting/talking just about anything about DragonBall.

Until that abomination came, like flops arriving at the month of January & gradually decreased posting as it inflicted such a psychological & emotional transformation on me it'll take 2 pages to explain.

Many shows come & go. Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurourin Kenshin, HXH, Saint Seiya etc.

Only few has the dormant staying power. DragonBall franchise had conquered/charmed a generation (90's) of legion of fanbase & the best they could come-up with is.......Super.
You sir, have my utmost respect because you've managed to describe my feelings about DB Super so spooky well! :clap:
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People