Has Dragon Ball been remastered to HD or not?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Re: Has Dragon Ball been remastered to HD or not?

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:23 am

Robo4900 wrote:First up, this footage is exactly the Dragon Box footage, no doubt about that... And yet it looks too good to be an upscale;
The masters that are used for DVD releases are never at SD resolution (save some exceptions where the source material is limited to that). This is probably footage from the same master, only released at an higher resolution.

Clayton

Post by Clayton » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:46 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Maakuo didn’t sell audio, no. And most things you see are photoshopped by Enigmo (banned member). Maakuo was pissed off at Kei for lying about a promise he made (which dragged on for years), and after acquiring better audio, Maakuo traded it because he didn’t have anything to lose.

But just for the sake of argument, let’s just say he did. What are you gonna do, spank him for selling crappy VHS recordings from a 30 year old show? The whole thing is childish, if you ask me. Kei is the one being selfish. He used Derek to connect Maakuo with Sabat to get approval, which Kei was able to snag the tapes off of this other guy to keep them for himself. I wouldn’t be surprised if Kei tells the owner that he “isn’t finished yet” with digitizing them.

This entire situation is laughable.
Funimation wasn’t going to use it anyway. Kei conned everyone and probably doesn’t care about it because he’s got better audio than the stuff that got leaked by Arian. The whole thing was screwed from the get go. There are members here trying to become Kei’s friend.. lets see how far they get :P
Last edited by Clayton on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:53 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:Sure it s à waste but i think you are wrong about him.

Kei hardly work to gather hi8 vhs etc (dragon ball 8 to 153) exist in hi8 i have seen àn old seller that sold them

Kei surely want to take crédit of his work and hé wanted to do it legally by working with Toei but those décline audios and when there was s'abat interested by them hé start to work with membres hère before beeing betray by one of them who sold audios (maakuo) ...it is logical that hé remain close to his audios as for exemple now thé à broadcast audio release didn t mention kei ... kit s à great error thinking kei is thé only one having them ...in japan some have them it s juste that they don t talk about it

Yeah. AnimeMaakou (who has disappeared) PMed me a few times about selling me the Broadcast Audio. He/She wanted $US500 and offered the Audio rips, along with some other stuff. I declined because I would never pay for a bootleg of Dragon Ball. I'd pay shitloads for legit stuff, but never bootleg.

But anyway, this thread has gone way off topic.
Maakuo didn’t sell audio, no. And most things you see are photoshopped by Enigmo (banned member). Maakuo was pissed off at Kei for lying about a promise he made (which dragged on for years), and after acquiring better audio, he traded it because he didn’t have anything to lose.

But just for the sake of argument, let’s just say he did. What are you gonna do, spank him for selling crappy VHS recordings from a 30 year old show? The whole thing is childish, if you ask me. Kei is the one being selfish. He used Derek to connect Maakuo with Sabat to get approval, which Kei was able to snag the tapes off of this other guy to keep them for himself. I wouldn’t be surprised if Kei tells the owner that he “isn’t finished yet” with digitizing them.

maybe but i think that maakuo should defend himself if he is innocent (by pm of course) i didn't want to spread lie i just say what was shown to me by some people here)
Clayton wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Maakuo didn’t sell audio, no. And most things you see are photoshopped by Enigmo (banned member). Maakuo was pissed off at Kei for lying about a promise he made (which dragged on for years), and after acquiring better audio, Maakuo traded it because he didn’t have anything to lose.

Funimation wasn’t going to use it anyway. Kei conned everyone and probably doesn’t care about it because he’s got better audio and the stuff that got leaked by Arian. The whole thing was screwed from the get go. There are members here trying to become Kei’s friend.. lets see how far they get :P
it's impossible to get near someone like kei without having something he want or that interest him as he ignore all pm talking about audios

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:44 am

Please keep the petty accusations that have nothing to do with anything of relevance here to yourselves. These posts are not welcome, will be removed going forward, and account strikes may be issued.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Someone just told me this:

Code: Select all

Hiya. btw, that DB episode was not from Netflix Japan.
They only have DB in SD, same with DBZ.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:00 pm

sangofe wrote:Someone just told me this:

Code: Select all

Hiya. btw, that DB episode was not from Netflix Japan.
They only have DB in SD, same with DBZ.
Hmmmm, so where could it have come from??

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:05 pm

from nowhere there isn't any HD stream of Dragon Ball anywhere in the world but no one seems to trust me

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:13 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:from nowhere there isn't any HD stream of Dragon Ball anywhere in the world but no one seems to trust me
I meant as in just a base question. If it isn't anything official, who made it? How, and why?

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:25 pm

that's better question but like the upload and the uploader already dissapear noone will have an answer... if i was so bad about "hd stream" is that the uploader lie about his "source" (it was written amazon in the filename) but there isn't any HD stream of db in any amazon video on demand so he lie about that.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:18 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

That's not what the HD encode looks like.

These are real screenshots from it:
[spoiler]Image

Backup links in case the images break:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1loP_k2 ... hKYzb/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wpjD5R ... br__x/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18S-C0O ... 36pw5/view[/spoiler]

I have trouble understanding what you're saying, so maybe your screenshots weren't supposed to be from this HD encode, but take a look at this comparisons...

[spoiler]ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage[/spoiler]

I think it's pretty clear there's more detail in this HD version than there is in the raw DBoxes.
Luso Saiyan wrote:The masters that are used for DVD releases are never at SD resolution (save some exceptions where the source material is limited to that). This is probably footage from the same master, only released at an higher resolution.
Yeah, I know. That's kind of what I was trying to say; I think this is that.
It very well may not be 1080p, but could be 720p or even 900p.
HakkaiBills93 wrote:from nowhere there isn't any HD stream of Dragon Ball anywhere in the world but no one seems to trust me
It is impossible to prove for sure that something does not exist.
All you can do is dissuede evidence that something does exist. And I haven't really seen anything that illustrates clearly that this encode could be an upscale.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:27 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image

I have trouble understanding what you're saying, so maybe your screenshots weren't supposed to be from this HD encode, but take a look at this comparisons...

[spoiler]ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage[/spoiler]

I think it's pretty clear there's more detail in this HD version than there is in the raw DBoxes.
Luso Saiyan wrote:The masters that are used for DVD releases are never at SD resolution (save some exceptions where the source material is limited to that). This is probably footage from the same master, only released at an higher resolution.
All you can do is dissuede evidence that something does exist. And I haven't really seen anything that illustrates clearly that this encode could be an upscale.
here with an avisynth filter it is really similar.............no?

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:29 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Image[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image

[spoiler]ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage[/spoiler]

here with an avisynth filter it is really similar.............no? ahh and i forgot that the ep1 from this file have the exact same frame count as the ep1 dragon box vob with the same black screen after the next episode preview

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:25 am

The one on the right has a slightly taller and slightly thinner crop than the Dragon Box; look at the distance between Goku's hair and the right edge of the frame, or how much you can see of the line detailing on Goku's arm. So it cannot just be a rip-n-filter of the DVD footage.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:28 am

the one on the right is the dbox in virtual dub using an avisynth script...the one on vlc IS the so called HD remaster

it was even said on a piracy website that the web dl version is more crop (slightly on top and bottom) than the dbox so like you see you can get this things by filtering
and with the two files having the same frame count it smell "fake"

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:57 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:the one on the right is the dbox in virtual dub using an avisynth script...the one on vlc IS the so called HD remaster
Would have been helpful if they were labeled...
HakkaiBills93 wrote:it was even said on a piracy website that the web dl version is more crop (slightly on top and bottom) than the dbox so like you see you can get this things by filtering
But I pointed out that both versions have differing vertical and horizontal dimensions. The one on the left is slightly wider (see Goku's hair) while the one on the right is slightly taller (see Goku's arm lines). Ergo, unless one is a cropped version of the other (which I find unlikely) they cannot be from the same source.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:09 am

KBABZ wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:the one on the right is the dbox in virtual dub using an avisynth script...the one on vlc IS the so called HD remaster
Would have been helpful if they were labeled...
HakkaiBills93 wrote:it was even said on a piracy website that the web dl version is more crop (slightly on top and bottom) than the dbox so like you see you can get this things by filtering
But I pointed out that both versions have differing vertical and horizontal dimensions. The one on the left is slightly wider (see Goku's hair) while the one on the right is slightly taller (see Goku's arm lines). Ergo, unless one is a cropped version of the other (which I find unlikely) they cannot be from the same source.
here another example with episode 2 left is dbox just upscale uncompressed no filtering and the right is the filter version of the same footage with a "tricked" filter

lot of people used "autocrop" when they encode dragon box BUT there is a pb
here a random shot of "part a" of dbz ep 1
here a random of "part b" of the same ep dragon box footage

as you can see part b is more cropped so some people using the autocrop version did the same
but anyway for those which have read the torrent topics here before it was deleted , the uploader says himself that he cropped it deliberately

i can guarantee you that true HD footage result can't be reproduce by any way by filtering.
it's merely impossible having true HD details by filtering so if i can do similar things with a merely basic avisynth filter then it's a fake for sure
it's artificial sharpening your eyes are tricked

here another example i took a straight vlc screenshot of the webrip the guy did

didn't you notice something wrong here?

i won't deny that this 720p encode is a beautiful encode it look good but even if you see more things by a tricked filter, it's artificial nothing more it's not true details as we can see by any real things.
What make the dragon box footage blurier than it should is that Toei transfer the film "uncropped" BUT the dbox footage have been slightly zoom in to hide some film scratch (that's why animax version have more footage than the dragon box) and when you zoom in all are blurier than it should be

taiwanese saint seiya dvd are an example of what i talk about (the zoom isn't present on the taiwanese saint seiya dvd so we can see scratch on the film but there is more footage and is from the same transfer as the remastered saint seiya japanese dvd box (same color, same tint that aren't on any old master release)

you all so much want HD things that you don't want to realize the truth

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:06 am

here what i already shown before

and if i want to go further like him in the lie i can say "ohhhh i have found 720p remaster color corrected " XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it's not 100% accurate color at all it's just a random things just for the exemple)
left is dbox that's why it's small
Last edited by HakkaiBills93 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:13 am

My counter-point is that much of Kai, which was done in 1080, is quite blurry and looks like SD footage.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:26 am

KBABZ wrote:My counter-point is that much of Kai, which was done in 1080, is quite blurry and looks like SD footage.
Dragon Ball Kai 1-98 has been Noise reducted when remastered in HD that's why it's blurier than levels... if kai didn't use DNR it should also have grain.. the best looking episodes only are like that caused they used 35mm film as source instead of usual material. kai isn't redrawn for most of the series, only few parts was redrawn (easy to see), kai have been DNR and recolored completely (that's why you can't copy kai colors for z episodes)
don't use kai as example please
Ajay wrote:
goku83 wrote:In the kai topic it was said that japanese blu-ray was aggressive sharpness causing halo and i show that it already was in the international version at a small rate (the more it is sharp, the more you see it) so the japanese sharpen version is just more sharpen than international one but exactly the same in details terms and curiously after showing this no one answer after that.
I didn't respond because your argument wasn't making much sense to me. You kept poking at flaws in the remaster as though to say, "Well this flaw here means that this flaw in this version is fine, too". That's not a conversation worth having. All I was saying was that throwing a gross white halo around something isn't adding more detail.

On the topic of DNR: the tool in itself is fine, but how you apply it is what matters most. Kai's use of it, although quite soft, is fine, but that opens up the entire argument of whether removing it goes against the aesthetic of the show. The cels are not the final product, film stocks all have different aesthetics, and they're carefully chosen in many cases. Did Toei pick the cheapest thing possible to shoot their cels? Was grain an essential part of the show? Is the cel the be all and end all? Personally, I'm not going complaint as long as both takes are done well.

I take issue with fans trying to DNR lossy standard definition footage. That's a terrible idea and almost never looks any good. You can see the issues in the images posted earlier in the thread. The lines have lost their rigidity due to the smoothing, so everything takes on that watery look. That's not what you want.

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:58 pm

whats the Z footage Look like ?