Things you used to hate but now you love.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Re: Things you used to hate but now you love.

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:15 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:4kids, I used to hate them for what they did to One Piece but I loved how they handled Dragon Ball and showed it to pintsized America again!
Yeah they even got Sonic the hedgehog to promote it how cool!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OTZ8Yt_15k&t=93s
I dont know if this is sarcasm but...

-If it is...
I dont really mind. OKAY OKAY, I did cringe but Dragon Ball Z Kai did gangbusters on the block and I'm happy of how it turned out overall. Also I love how much death and destruction was allowed for Saturday Morning Standards in that preview. Especially since the TheCW was so strict.

-If It isnt
I KNOW RIGHT. I dont really like Sonic but its really cool that 4kids used such brand synergy to promote Dragon Ball. It ensured its sucess.
It was sarcasm, "Now Piccolo is saiyan just like Raditz, but he doesn't like Raditz". :shifty: :lol:

On one hand they sort of killed any popularity One Piece could have had in the west, on the other hand they did give me the pokemon anime which was a bigger part of my childhood than DBZ.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:47 am

I know man, I love One Piece and I live in a region that has YET to get a redub. So it flopped harder than hard here.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:29 pm

Ariesx222 wrote: I'm still iffy on Nowaza as Goku's voice but I always loved her as Gohan's voice, I can't stand Kyle Hebert, he makes Gohan sound like a clown.
Really? Man I love his Gohan, he's performance is the reason the saiyan man arc is my favorite part of the series.

For me it's the Japanese cast, I can't say I hated it but I never liked it. Over time I've come to appreciate it and I can see why it's many preferred way to watch dragonball.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:43 pm

Your favorite of the entire story? It's not even an arc.

An arc that I used to find boring that I've come to appreciate more over the years is the Red Ribbon Army arc.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:13 pm

Super Saiyan Blue on Gokū's and Vegeta's older-styled outfits. I used to think the blue hair meshed horrifically with the blue on the outfits, but as the Trunks arc went on, the combination really grew on me, and now they're actually my favorite variations of the characters!
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:48 pm

ABED wrote:Your favorite of the entire story? It's not even an arc.

An arc that I used to find boring that I've come to appreciate more over the years is the Red Ribbon Army arc.
Yes my favorite in the entire story, I just called an arc cause I didn't know what else to call it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:34 pm

The ENTIRE story and you like the most boring part where there is no story? There's no antagonist, very little conflict, no interesting fights, and the joke overstays its welcome. While I don't hate that part, it is amongst my least favorite parts of the entire story. My feelings for the Great Saiyaman section has gone in the opposite direction. I used to enjoy it, now I find it boring, especially in the anime.

You could call it any number of things, like "part" or "section". An arc has a beginning, middle, and end.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:01 pm

I leaned towards disliking Ribrianne for a while, but around the time DBS 109 aired, she just grew on me. Now she's one of my favorite new characters in the TOP!
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:01 am

ABED wrote:The ENTIRE story and you like the most boring part where there is no story? There's no antagonist, very little conflict, no interesting fights, and the joke overstays its welcome. While I don't hate that part, it is amongst my least favorite parts of the entire story. My feelings for the Great Saiyaman section has gone in the opposite direction. I used to enjoy it, now I find it boring, especially in the anime.

You could call it any number of things, like "part" or "section". An arc has a beginning, middle, and end.
Lol yeah with all that pitted against it, it still manages to be my favorite part. I guess it's probably because of that, it's just the daily life of Gohan. I also like "a fish out of water" type of stories, and this part of the series has some of those beats. I also like the cat and mouse relationship videl and him had. I would of loved it if there was more.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:55 pm

In my extremely long history with the series, there are several things that I flip-flopped on over the years, as can be expected with someone who is basically growing up.

1) I used to hate Goku. Don't know why, but I did. I used to think that he was selfish and only cared about saving Gohan while not really caring about how hurt anyone else was (I have NO idea how I came to this conclusion, even as a 10 year old). I used to love Vegeta and relished any moment when he whooped on Goku -- especially seeing clips online of Majin Vegeta's fight with Goku. But alas, over the years, the gruff and tough demeanor of Vegeta actually started to become annoying, and I found myself gravitating to Goku more. Now, Goku is my favorite of the series, though I do think he can be a little too stupid at times.

2) Used to hate Gohan. Why? I have no idea. I mean, even as a kid, I never really cared for shows that had a child main protagonist. Just knowing that Gohan would become the hero of the Cell Games and later on against Boo (online summaries since this was still during the time that the first two arcs kept repeating on Toonami), just rubbed me the wrong way. To me, Gohan was just an overhyped kid, who crapped the bed whenever it came time to actually go to work (like against Nappa). In time, though, I really started liking Gohan.

3) From the moment that I stumbled upon Dragon Ball Z Uncensored online, I started hating the dub. I found it to be a bastardized version of the real series. I believed that the dialog was completely altered and that they censored so much. Well, once "Season 3" rolled around, I could tell that the censorship mostly went out the window. As for the dialog, I still had a hatred for it and absolutely despised the voices. I mean, I went from Ocean dub -- where I loved the voices despite my feelings toward the censorship and dialog -- to... well... we all know what we got, damn it. I found myself slowly warming up to the voices starting with the first Budokai game, where for some reason, they weren't as irritating as on TV. Over time, I learned to appreciate both versions when I realized that I can have my cake and eat it too with this series. At some point, I looked at them as two different properties; instead of enjoying ONE version of Dragon Ball, I could enjoy TWO versions! And that's been my outlook ever since. I guess the dub is a guilty pleasure of mine, as I feel myself having a nostalgia and almost a time machine feel, popping in the "Ginyu/Frieza" singles in and watching them (for the original voices before the re-dub with the orange bricks). It serves as a time machine and I can just enjoy the thing for all of its goofiness. Of course, the undisputed champion is the Japanese version, but the dub is pretty fun for me too.

4) The Westwood dub? Oh yeah. See, my only exposure to the Westwood dub had been though little clips online. While I appreciated the performances of my favorites in Brian Drummond and Scott McNeil, it did sound bizarre. I admit that I developed a curiosity for this dub, but thought that it was terrible from what little exposure I had to it. Fast forward to just recently, and I find myself having a great time with it. It's bizarre hearing it at first, but I got used to it really quickly -- even that goofy, 90s cartoon theme they used for the intro. While I always loved the Ocean dub, I did have a ton more mileage with the Funimation dub, but after some quality time with the Westwood dub, I realized that this is how I pictured the series would continue before the dub change. Well... obviously not all of it, as there were re-casts and completely new characters down the line, but you get what I mean. It makes me sad that Funimation swapped them out for their in-house dub, BUT... it just gives me THREE versions of Dragon Ball Z to enjoy. Not freaking bad at all. I have yet to really get into the Blue Water dub because I guess I don't have that nostalgic connection to the voices, but I'm getting there.

That's all I can think of. To be honest, there are a lot more things on the opposite spectrum lol I used to love the firs three DBZ movies just because they were "new" material that felt special back when the first two arcs of DBZ were on repeat, but now, I generally find them annoying and bad. I also used to love all of the PS1 video games (don't judge me; I was a kid and it was DBZ/GT for goodness sake), and now... they're kind of bad. On and on and on.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:39 am

Masako Nozawa.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:15 am

Dragon ball super

masako nozawa

Mr. Satan ( i used to hate him a lot as a kid for taking credit of defeating cell)

the buu saga ( its one of my all time favourite sagas now )

Gohan (i used to hate how he became a nerd in the buu saga , but now i realised that it was in-character for him to become a scholar )
My English is poor .

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:26 am

Anime adaptation:

Nothing that I can say that I hated, but an episode of DBZ that I was always "meh" about years ago is Episode #176 "Just a Moment!! The Satan Squad Goes On the Rampage".

We all just wanted to get to Son Goku VS. Cell, right? Now, I find it brilliant in the way that it was dropped into that string of episodes. The only way that it can really be appreciated though is if you've watched the previous episode, or marathoned, just before it. #175 concludes with this dramatic tension building up Goku/Cell, and then #176 comes along and says: "Wait, wait... not just yet. We're going to do some silly things first". It comes off as an April Fools joke in a way. Not only that, but viewers back then had to wait THREE WEEKS to get to Goku VS Cell because it went #175-->TV Special-->#176-->and finally the opening of Goku/Cell. I never use this term, but I'd compare it to "trolling". Well played there, Z.

... and Mr. Satan, after much anticipation, unleashed his entire moveset on Cell only to get stonewalled and backhanded into a distant mountain! (arguably the most hilarious few seconds in the entire series)