Do anime-only adventures (scenes and arcs) help the show or hurt it?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Do anime-only adventures (scenes and arcs) help the show or hurt it?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:29 pm

Since many have taken "Filler" to mean, "Any extension at all" the other filler thread has decayed. So I ask this:Do you like the anime only adventures and arcs? I love some, hate some but I think they help the show overall.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Re: Do Anime Only Adventures. Scenes and Arcs help the show or hurt it?

Post by Vijay » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:56 pm

I like Goku's Solo Training Arc in DB

I also liked Fake Namek & Garlick Jr Filler Arcs that were both adventurous & packed solid action

Boo Arc itself had over 20+ filler episodes which were boring when I first saw it, but after repeated viewings, they add some wacky humor & "what-ifs" which looks fun

Goku vs Mystic Gohan

Vegeta vs SSJ3 Gotenks

Despite many complains, I actually liked the fight above in DBZ Ep 274

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:27 am

I think a lot of the mid-Freeza arc stuff was a bit excessive, but outside of that, I think it's all good, or at the very least neutral. I quite like the slow pace Dragon Ball generally stuck to on the whole; an intense battle for the Earth, which ends up tiring the main characters out to the point where half of them can barely walk by the end of it(Using the Saiyan arc as an example here) really feels like that when it takes as much time as the show puts into it. And it means that while, yes, Z is an action show, it still continues to feel like the character-driven drama it always had been.
And of course, putting in anime-only stuff means that, rather than the show just constantly stalling, you're still getting a lot of character development, short adventures, and such, which add new depth to the story.
On one hand, you could say that Gohan, Goku, and the rest of the main characters have been training for a year, but on the other, you could show a lot of that training, and show the hell a lot of them went through to prepare themselves for the fight of their lives.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:21 am

It's case by case for me. I don't mind Dragon Ball's slow pace building up to fights. I remember reading the Saiyan saga in the manga years after I saw it on TV and thought the manga's version of the training went too fast and that the anime filler really helped develop the characters. However, I hate it when the fights are interrupted by unrelated filler stuff - Bulma switching bodies with Ginyu is a good example. I'll admit I have a soft spot with the B-team guys fighting the Ginyu Force on Kaio's planet though. Overall, the Freeza saga filler is really bad. My least favorite kind of "filler" is what most people complain about - endless powering up scenes, characters recoiling in fear and saying "I've never felt such ki!" etc. That's probably why I actually like Kai so much - because it cuts a lot of that stuff out.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:35 am

Earnest question, but how does this differ from the previous thread?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:40 am

Because people stopped equating filler with "Non Canon Scenes" and started saying "I hate the filler that consists solely of stare fights!" that's the difference.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:03 am

Overall the filler in DB is not net positive. The series is twice as long as it should be. However, there are some filler I like and some I don't. I can't come up with a good analogy, but good filler takes what's in the manga and adds to the show, whereas bad filler just stretches the show out. The best analogy I can think of is adding water to lemonade. Add water and you get more volume, but too much water and it dilutes the taste.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Tombstone1988
Beyond Newbie

Re: Do anime-only adventures (scenes and arcs) help the show or hurt it?

Post by Tombstone1988 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:12 pm

I'd agree with others here in that it's sort of case-by-case. I rather enjoyed the Garlic Jr. arc, even if it was silly and rather nonsensical. On the other hand, I absolutely hated the fake Namek arc. Giving an overall answer is pretty difficult because different parts made the anime more enjoyable and others less enjoyable for me.
"If you notice this and understand that it's flawed and just don't let it bother you, that's perfectly fine. But enjoying a flawed movie and calling a movie flawless are two completely different things."

-Adam from YourMovieSucksDOTorg
(Replace "movie" with "DBS episode" and that's pretty much my thoughts in regards to DBS critique)

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:18 pm

i actually liked all of dragon ball fillers except for the fake namek arc and some frieza saga fillers

so no the fillers doesn't hurt it at all except for the long powering up scenes and such .
My English is poor .

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:03 pm

I'd also argue that Dragon Ball has an equivalent to time-wasting power-up scenes, most commonly seen in the WMAT episodes, where the combatants just fight generically but no progress is made on the micro-story of the fight, or a new "ultimate attack" is revealed that doesn't actually do anything substantial for no good reason.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:11 pm

Besides pacing issues, some anime only scenes cause inconsistencies to characters and the story. I don't think I have to explain Chichi getting a bad rep from fans due to a lot of anime only stuff.

Then we have our lovable perv Roshi, I have an example from my editing of the Buu arc. Fans gave him a hard time from that episode of Super but he has worse moments in the Buu arc.

I'd like to think Roshi has SOME conscious in certain situations. When Buu murdered Chichi, not to long after Piccolo starts leading Buu to ROSAT. On the way, we get filler scenes of Roshi groping Bulma. It's all about the context of the situation, and I'd like to think Roshi wouldn't do that at a time like that because it makes him a total unlikable dickhead.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:24 pm

MR.Mark wrote:I'd like to think Roshi has SOME conscious in certain situations. When Buu murdered Chichi, not to long after Piccolo starts leading Buu to ROSAT. On the way, we get filler scenes of Roshi groping Bulma. It's all about the context of the situation, and I'd like to think Roshi wouldn't do that at a time like that because it makes him a total unlikable dickhead.
He does have certain moments. For example, recalling the story of Gohan and Ox-King's training to motivate Goku to continue with the milk delivery on foot is one of my all-time favourite moments in all of Dragon Ball. As well, he cuts the BS and consoles Bulma after Yamcha's death; in Z Kai after Bulma says she's feeling better, he replies "That's good", in a way that makes it clear that he cares about how she's feeling.

But it's all undermined by the awful sexual harassment he does throughout the show, making it obvious that he doesn't care how other people think of him or his actions. You'd think that thirty years later we can at least remove that aspect of his character, blunt it to him being merely goofy, and focus more on the wise old master side of him, but no.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:15 pm

Now that I think about it, there's a filler scene of Roshi groping Bulma's as after Yamcha died too in the Saiyan saga. There's adding levity and then there's being a total asshole, lol.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:24 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Now that I think about it, there's a filler scene of Roshi groping Bulma's as after Yamcha died too in the Saiyan saga. There's adding levity and then there's being a total asshole, lol.
First time I'm hearing of this, boy am I glad Kai cut that crap out of the show.

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:43 pm

MR.Mark wrote:Besides pacing issues, some anime only scenes cause inconsistencies to characters and the story. I don't think I have to explain Chichi getting a bad rep from fans due to a lot of anime only stuff.

Then we have our lovable perv Roshi, I have an example from my editing of the Buu arc. Fans gave him a hard time from that episode of Super but he has worse moments in the Buu arc.

I'd like to think Roshi has SOME conscious in certain situations. When Buu murdered Chichi, not to long after Piccolo starts leading Buu to ROSAT. On the way, we get filler scenes of Roshi groping Bulma. It's all about the context of the situation, and I'd like to think Roshi wouldn't do that at a time like that because it makes him a total unlikable dickhead.
but most of them were written by Toriyama weren't they ?
My English is poor .

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:57 pm

Hyena_Yamcha wrote:but most of them were written by Toriyama weren't they ?
Not most of them. We could find out more things he contributed to at a later date, but Toriyama seemed to only contribute the odd filler tidbit idea and character designs (or a new one, such as Gregory). His biggest involvement, IMO, was selecting the VAs for the main cast at the start of the anime for approval.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/production/toriyama/

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:13 pm

Yeah if Toriyama told Toei "eh just make Roshi grab 18 and Bulma's ass or tits regardless of the situation" that would be news to me.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:22 pm

They are generally hit or miss
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:44 pm

Even though much of the filler creates inconsistencies, I do prefer some of those inconsistencies. For instance, I prefer the war torn version of Planet Vegeta in the pendulum room episode to the version in the Bardock special that is technologically advanced and pristine.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:49 pm

ABED wrote:Even though much of the filler creates inconsistencies, I do prefer some of those inconsistencies. For instance, I prefer the war torn version of Planet Vegeta in the pendulum room episode to the version in the Bardock special that is technologically advanced and pristine.
I head-canon that by saying they were taken to planet Vegeta's equivalent of Jersey.