Is Dragon Ball really that hard to get into?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: Is Dragon Ball really that hard to get into?

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:16 am

Apparently, yes, if you don't have the motivation. I was driven by a motivation of hating everything and having a "fuck it, let's watch anime" mindset, but I seem to be a one-off case. Most people I know just don't have the intention to get into DB at all because it's got a lot working against it; e.g. "Too long," "Isn't that just fight grunt what?" "Goku, why do you get more powerful when you scream?" and other such bizarre explanations. I've never had a friend who ever expressed interest in following me in my DB experience asides from a couple who were fans before I met them. I definitely understand that there's a lot of material and I don't typically go into something I know is super long but Dragon Ball just seduced me in the weekend I watched the Pilaf Saga and I've been here ever since. Due to my personal priorities, I'm not currently watching a Dragon Ball series but I've watched DB and Z and all the movies from that period. However, DB just has such a huge community and it actually has new media coming out on a regular basis so it's going to stick with me through that regardless of my personal and lifelong connection.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Kuwabara
Regular

Re: Is Dragon Ball really that hard to get into?

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:43 am

precita wrote:The anime craze in the U.S. died after the early 2000's. Nowadays getting into anime is probably a lot harder than it was a decade ago now that the "fad" is over. There's less incentive to check something out when people stop talking about it.
What the hell are you talking about? Anime is more mainstream than ever. Have you seen Netflix or Hulu lately? Have you ever been to any conventions? Did Toonami come back for no reason?
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn