Quick audio question

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Quick audio question

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:55 pm

I got the Manga Entertainment edition of Seasons 1 and 2 of Dragon Ball for Christmas (image is here if you need to know what I'm talking about)
[spoiler]https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q= ... 4561363357[/spoiler]
and I'm enjoying it though I'm finding the Japanese audio is very gargled and poor quality while the English audio is spot-on. Is the Japanese version un-remasterable or something? (Forgive that last remark, I'm not knowledgeable in this area.) If it's been released in better quality, could someone experienced with audio tell me on which releases the better audio is available?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Bruma rabu
Regular

Re: Quick audio question

Post by Bruma rabu » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:05 am

Japanese audio quality is bad, that's just how it is.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:07 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I'm enjoying it though I'm finding the Japanese audio is very gargled and poor quality while the English audio is spot-on. Is the Japanese version un-remasterable or something? (Forgive that last remark, I'm not knowledgeable in this area.) If it's been released in better quality, could someone experienced with audio tell me on which releases the better audio is available?
For Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z, Toei decided to only keep the audio in what is known as optical audio. What this basically means is they printed the audio alongside the episode visuals on the film reels for the show.
Unfortunately, optical is not a good way to keep audio. The film warps, the detail is very low for what you need out of audio, and basically the end result is rather poor.

The original, high-quality audio masters were thrown out after the initial airings, though some fans in Japan taped the show, and thus they have some quite incredible audio(Commonly referred to online as "Broadcast audio", or "Original broadcast audio"). For Z, the entirety of this audio has been gathered up and sent to Chris Sabat of Funimation, and he's said he'll do everything in his power to put it on an official release. Dragon Ball is still being worked on, though episodes 1-7 and 153 have been found and sent to him.

GT is, in theory, in a similar boat, except Toei actually still have GT's proper audio masters(In stereo, even), they just forgot to use it on the Dragon Boxes, and only gave it to foreign releases from before about 2003. Japanese TV airings still use this stereo master audio, though, and I believe recent TV captures of these airings have been sent to Funimation as a fallback in case they can't get proper copies from Toei or something.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:38 pm

Bruma rabu wrote:Japanese audio quality is bad, that's just how it is.
This. I still enjoyed thoroughly watching all of it. I'd have obviously preferred the broadcast audio instead but that's not available and I just watched as is without making a fuss.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
GT is, in theory, in a similar boat, except Toei actually still have GT's proper audio masters(In stereo, even), they just forgot to use it on the Dragon Boxes, and only gave it to foreign releases from before about 2003. Japanese TV airings still use this stereo master audio, though, and I believe recent TV captures of these airings have been sent to Funimation as a fallback in case they can't get proper copies from Toei or something.
if you want my opinion i think that Toei just used optical audio for GT to keep on with db, dbz, it would have been more noticeable if DBGT would have used the master audios and not z, db
if kei never talked about it i think no one should have known about that.
for example hokuto no ken or saint seiya have the same issues and the same broadcast audios exist but as no one have talked about them in their respective community no want try to gather them

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:43 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
if you want my opinion i think that Toei just used optical audio for GT to keep on with db, dbz, it would have been more noticeable if DBGT would have used the master audios and not z, db
for example hokuto no ken or saint seiya have the same issues and the same broadcast audios exist but as no one have talked about them in their respective community no want try to gather them
Wow it really sounds to me like the hokuto no ken and saint seiya communities don't care about their favored shows any where near as much as we care about our Dragon Ball. I'm glad I didn't end up with those crowds.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:38 am

That's because the Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT Japanese audio is muffled on all home media releases so far.

You can get DBZ Japanese audio in much better condition now and GT too, but wouldn't be legally. Dragon Ball is also avail but incomplete so far.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:41 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Sooner or later someone would speak up about it since Kei is not the last Japanese remaining alive. There are plenty but some prefer to not talk.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:19 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Sooner or later someone would speak up about it since Kei is not the last Japanese remaining alive. There are plenty but some prefer to not talk.
No but he managed to collect all tapes remaining, i read on a japanese blog that he got most of the tapes from a japanese guy named sakusero and never returned the tapes to him nor digitalized files for him

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:33 pm

That's what happens when one shares stuff with a friend and then he doesn't give it back. It happened to me with. PC game but at least it was of low value.

I don't let anyone borrow my DB stuff whether to family or friends cause they'd probably scratch it or god knows what.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:15 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:
HakkaiBills93 wrote:
No but he managed to collect all tapes remaining, i read on a japanese blog that he got most of the tapes from a japanese guy named sakusero and never returned the tapes to him nor digitalized files for him
Only question is... Is that just someone trying to slander him?

I know he's not well-liked for his disappearing act and general refusal to hand over what he has to either fans or official hands, so it wouldn't surprise me if information like this was fabricated to ruin his reputation.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:19 am

Another interesting titbit is that the GT TV Special does have the original broadcast-quality audio on both the Dragon Box and Funimation sets, apparently due to Toei being lazy and not making a new master for it.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:47 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:That's because the Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT Japanese audio is muffled on all home media releases so far.

You can get DBZ Japanese audio in much better condition now and GT too, but wouldn't be legally. Dragon Ball is also avail but incomplete so far.
Wrong. GT isn't muffled on the Taiwanese DVD release. Stop making shit up.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:28 am

Robo4900 wrote:
GT is, in theory, in a similar boat, except Toei actually still have GT's proper audio masters(In stereo, even), they just forgot to use it on the Dragon Boxes
i don't think that they "forgot" to use it, i think they deliberately didn't use it, to have universal same audio quality for everything , if kei17 didn't mention about broadcast audio, no one would ever have notice that issue
lot of toei release from that era also have shitty audio like saint seiya or hokuto no ken and their fandom don't even noticed that issue , they think it's like that that's all

Do you think they could have release with master audio without people asking them why there's issue in audio for db and dbz?
except if toei have big idiots into their technical staffs, they were aware all along that keeping optical audio and throwing master audio will result the gigantic quality loss for the audio ...even if they didn't planned to release them on vhs or dvd cause it wasn't the standard before, it was pretty sure that those things happened

even nowadays, they are totally aware about audio issue but tv special 1 that could have use broadcast audios when it was aired on animax only use optical audios