Dragon Ball Minus - Current thoughts?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Akyon
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Minus - Current thoughts?

Post by Akyon » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:51 pm

I'm with Izanagi in that I don't care for it nor Gine.

Surely the entire point was Goku's personality was at odds with their race?
A saiyan that cares about others is supposed to be unheard of and yet here we have Gine who is soft hearted as it comes(how comes she has not been killed by the more ruthless saiyans for her weakness?) and Bardock who is less of a savage warrior and more a traditional caring father and husband. Hell, if I'm recalling right even the minor character of Bardock's patrol partner seemed to be less traditionally saiyan like and more human like.

With the entire rest of the family being a bunch of soft hearted oddballs, I'm now questioning why Raditz ended up as much of a traditional saiyan warrior jerkass as he did.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:49 pm

Akyon wrote:I'm with Izanagi in that I don't care for it nor Gine.

Surely the entire point was Goku's personality was at odds with their race?
A saiyan that cares about others is supposed to be unheard of and yet here we have Gine who is soft hearted as it comes(how comes she has not been killed by the more ruthless saiyans for her weakness?) and Bardock who is less of a savage warrior and more a traditional caring father and husband. Hell, if I'm recalling right even the minor character of Bardock's patrol partner seemed to be less traditionally saiyan like and more human like.

With the entire rest of the family being a bunch of soft hearted oddballs, I'm now questioning why Raditz ended up as much of a traditional saiyan warrior jerkass as he did.
Goku is personality is not really at odds with race. He loves to fight, no he lives to fight. It's never hinted at that he got his personality from his mom at lest I never saw it, not sure if there was interview with Toriyama stating that. Gohan is closer to her than anyone else. Also Bardock in the special did care about others while ruthless towards other races he did seem to care about his race and comrades to some degree. Another thing I don't think saiyans are as ruthless to each other as some might think. Why did Nappa crawl to Vegeta for help after goku beat him? Surely, he would known Vegeta was going to kill him if this was common practice. Why didn't Bardock just vaporize Toma for losing to what at first he thought were weaklings.
I don't think saiyans are ruthless by nature. The show has shown that with Vegeta and now with universe 6. Being a prick isn't a saiyan gene.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:46 am

I'm surprised no one mentioned the thing that striked me the most: the nursery tank. Its so an alien concept, for a people as genetically human as the saiyans, to raise their children in an ambient deprived of contact and love, but still more normal than Bardock's special version of newborns beign thrown to space procedurally. And it raises an important plothole/retcon with previous established chronology, AFAIK. Anyone feels the creep about this thing?

Thordell

Post by Thordell » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:52 am

Grimlock wrote:
Thordell wrote:It's literally Superman's backstory only with a warrior father instead of a scientist father.
Are you sure about that?
I forgot that American Bardock got his Ph.D. before the destruction of Vegeta.