Dragon Ball Minus - Current thoughts?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Dragon Ball Minus - Current thoughts?

Post by Nero<>Akira » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:42 pm

How do you all feel about Dragon Ball Minus now? I've personally warmed up a bit to it and sometimes like going back to it since it was new DB content drawn by AT after Jaco with his new style.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Dragon Ball Minus - Current thoughts?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:43 pm

Was dumb back then and it still is.

I've always had a soft spot for Gine though.

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:52 pm

I think it did more harm to DB than good...

But I like Gine.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:01 pm

It's still an unnecessary and rushed story. Hell, it's barely even a story. And I still believe it to be the worst thing Toriyama has ever contributed to Dragon Ball in general.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:03 pm

the only thing i can now say that i honestly don't like is it doesn't have a good fight scene and Goku's backstory became more superman like. But, after carefully examining it more.. Yeah, his parents were loving towards each other, but it's still clear that these aren't good people and still take part in genocide. The first page has Bardock and his teammate exterminating a race. Gine even mentions that Bardock has never cared for Goku and was surprised he even thought about that. People in the town he lives in seem to know a bit about him looking at how he's greeted, but he doesn't really care either. So, I don't think Bardock was changed THAT much except he had someone to soften him up a little bit. He was also given good instincts and could tell something was wrong the moment the order was given for all saiyans to go to PV. Not only that, it eliminates Bardock's naivety in regards to who he works for. In Minus, Bardock isn't trusting of Freeza at all and knows the people he's associated with are bad.

So, I think it gives Bardock more depth than how he was previously and can say I like it. But Solid State Scouter is the bomb.
Last edited by Nero<>Akira on Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:05 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:It's still an unnecessary and rushed story. Hell, it's barely even a story. And I still believe it to be the worst thing Toriyama has ever contributed to Dragon Ball in general.
It does feel rushed. He could have made it longer page wise.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:18 pm

It's still one of the most crappy stuff in modern Dragon Ball (along with Movie 15). Since its release, nothing has been worked/expanded upon in four years (they prefer to bring back old villains that don't need to be back, to hold tournaments after tournaments and to distribute transformations for characters that don't need, especially to a certain Saiyan). It's still a rushed chapter with a few pages (one of its biggest sins) that has accomplished nothing besides being a terrible "work" with no plot, without delving into "its lore" deeper, without showing stuff that should be presented, without exploring concepts, without showing characters that should have appeared in there.

Too bad Gine was introduced in this... thing. She is the only good part that came out of it.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:28 pm

I don't understand why Toriyama bothered if it was so gonna be so short to be honest. Jaco itself was "prequel" enough didn't need Minus, and unfortunately I think it sullies the Jaco manga name.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:09 pm

While the story itself isn't that great, it was cool seeing Goku's mom.

However, it sucks knowing that now Minus is written by Toriyama, it is basically now the "canon" interpretation and story of Bardock rather than the TV Special that is 5x better and is what the character is known and popular for.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:24 pm

I like it for Gine. That's pretty much it.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:02 pm

Thankfully, it's been almost a year since I did my Dragon Ball Dissection episode on Dragon Ball Minus. The only reason I say that is because, I only realized after this thread came up, that I actually haven't really thought about Minus since then. Since I finally got all of my thoughts and complaints out there, the work itself faded into the ether, just like it deserves. But there is nothing, and I repeat NOTHING good about this piece of crap. There wasn't then, and nothing has changed to make it any less worthless now.

Oh, and Gine sucks too. I really don't get the hype. She's nothing but novelty for a trivia question, or so fans can fill in their pointless family trees or have new fanfic areas to muck about in. If you've been able to get something out of her, that's great. But on the page, she's a whole lot of nothing because Dragon Ball Minus is a whole lot of nothing.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:23 am

I didn't like it then and I still don't. All it did was ruin Bardock's character and make Goku even closer to Superman if not the exact same.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:01 am

sintzu wrote:I didn't like it then and I still don't. All it did was ruin Bardock's character and make Goku even closer to Superman if not the exact same.
This, plus Gine literally has skirt armor. Fuck that.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:59 am

I don't mind Gine, I just wished Toriyama tried to kind of integrate her more into the original special. Like her side story parallels Bardock. Minus is just...meh. with episode of Bardock, while fan service, I feel tried to progress the character, minus just regresses him.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:46 am

My hatred for it only grew. What really makes me hate it is that Toriyama wrote it. How could me? :(
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Thordell

Post by Thordell » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:05 am

Gine is the only good concept that we got out of that thing.
It's literally Superman's backstory only with a warrior father instead of a scientist father.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:40 am

Thordell wrote:It's literally Superman's backstory only with a warrior father instead of a scientist father.
Are you sure about that?
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:08 am

Sailor Haumea wrote:This, plus Gine literally has skirt armor. Fuck that.
Okay, that is literally the only thing I like about Minus. I would love some skirt armor like that.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:03 pm

I like it, wish it was longer though. I also really like that it introduced Gine.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Izanagi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Izanagi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:05 pm

Never liked it and I never liked Gine either, she's among the worst thing to happen in this series. She undermines the ambiguous morality of the Saiyans. Because of Gine, Bardock was reduced into a concerned father who sends his son off to another world to be a hero instead of the unrepentant warmongering everyday's villain he is supposed to be like in his movie who carried out a galactic scale genocide for shits and giggles. Half the appeal of Goku's backstory was that he was supposed to destroy the Earth like the manga stated, but ironically ends up becoming it's savior. It reduced Goku into another Superman expy. What sets me off even more is that apparently, Goku's good-hearted nature actually comes from his mom instead of his adopted parent, Son Gohan, as stated in the manga.