What's the deal with these Earthlings?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

What's the deal with these Earthlings?

Post by Anonymous Friend » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:15 pm

It seems like from the moment aliens are introduced into the story, it seems that just about every non-earth group we encounter is leagues ahead of earthling in the energy manipulation department. Everyone seems to be able to fly and shoot energy blasts.

What really drives it home is that a uninjured baby Kakarot was thought to be sufficient enough to dispose of a planet filled with earthlings.

Also, would Goku have learned to fly on his own? Or was Raditz supposed to have taught him when he arrived?
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What's the deal with these Earthlings?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:15 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote:It seems like from the moment aliens are introduced into the story, it seems that just about every non-earth group we encounter is leagues ahead of earthling in the energy manipulation department. Everyone seems to be able to fly and shoot energy blasts.

What really drives it home is that a uninjured baby Kakarot was thought to be sufficient enough to dispose of a planet filled with earthlings.

Also, would Goku have learned to fly on his own? Or was Raditz supposed to have taught him when he arrived?
The plan was for Goku to see the full moon, go Oozaru, and rampage until the earth's civilizations were wiped out.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:49 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Anonymous Friend wrote:It seems like from the moment aliens are introduced into the story, it seems that just about every non-earth group we encounter is leagues ahead of earthling in the energy manipulation department. Everyone seems to be able to fly and shoot energy blasts.

The plan was for Goku to see the full moon, go Oozaru, and rampage until the earth's civilizations were wiped out.
Considerin Goku/Kakarot was low-rank warrior with negligible power level as a kid, compared to Kid Vegeta who trashed multiple Saibaman right?

But in reality, even without Oozaru transformations Goku's Saiyan gene/blood grants him near "God-like" strength, stamina & durability compared to the Earthlings

Unless RRA or King's Castle decide to nuke him when Kid Goku's at sleep or when dude's eating, I dont think any Earthling has what it takes to stop him.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:53 pm

It's not specified that anyone other than Bulma, Gohan, and Kuririn went far enough in space to encounter aliens. Since it's stated sometime in the early Namek Saga that Capsule Corp's space ships until then didn't go very far, it's unlikely that humans made contact with aliens before their trip. Without the knowledge of stronger aliens, human fighters wouldn't have trained as hard as guys like Kuririn, Tenshinhan, and Yamcha did because they wouldn't have had to fight stronger species than humans.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:15 am

floofychan333 wrote:It's not specified that anyone other than Bulma, Gohan, and Kuririn went far enough in space to encounter aliens. Since it's stated sometime in the early Namek Saga that Capsule Corp's space ships until then didn't go very far, it's unlikely that humans made contact with aliens before their trip. Without the knowledge of stronger aliens, human fighters wouldn't have trained as hard as guys like Kuririn, Tenshinhan, and Yamcha did because they wouldn't have had to fight stronger species than humans.
While that might be true, Earth in Dragon Ball is made up of not only humans, but anthropomorphic species, gods, and demons. Demons don't tend to be a surprise for many humans, especially martial artists. However, I guess as martial arts got corporate-ized, the connection between earthlings and demonic/godly beings were severed; hence, Mr Satan. If this was the idea, since Mr Satan is so far removed from the spiritual/otherworldly part of martial arts, his name is ironic. Wouldn't surprise me if Toriyama thought of this deliberately (not to mention the fact that the earthlings now worship a guy named Satan, whom is a human which is idolatry and is also a sin in Christian circles lol). Clever.

My point being that certain martial artists that are way powerful beyond human possibilities is lost after money, fortune, and fame get involved (as a consequence of the popularity of the Tournaments). In the early half of Dragon Ball, crazy powers are not as surprising to even the plebians.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada