Do you Dragon Ball can work as a Highschool story?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tian
Advanced Regular

Re: Do you Dragon Ball can work as a Highschool story?

Post by Tian » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:58 pm

Apollo Fungus wrote:This thread reminded of the best dumb idea I had for a fanfic some time back:

The main character would be Jheese, a self-conscious, mediocre teenager who desperately wants to join the best gang in town, mainly because he wants to get closer to the gang's leader, the outrageously loud and tenacious Ginyu (who he has a bit of a crush on).

The name of this fic would be, what else, Ginyu Tokusempai.

That's it.
I don't think it's dumb. It's a great idea! I had a fanfic idea for the Ginyu Force too but it isn't a high school fic but it's a boy band fic.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:40 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Oh god why.
Because its satirical and very much Dragon Ball. Your suggestion sounds like I already heard in another sitcom.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:55 pm

Its because my suggestion was deliberately terrible and sexist. But I'm glad you at least recognize the problematic nature of this stuff.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:56 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: Not quite what I was thinking. I was thinking the other girls teasing Chi-Chi for her development which settles in a conflict for her character (her 'feminine' indentity) and Bulma using her body to get what she wants like in the actual series.
Besides Master Roshi has that actually ever worked for Bulma?
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Its because my suggestion was deliberately terrible and sexist. But I'm glad you at least recognize the problematic nature of this stuff.

It's wasn't sexist, just bad.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:02 pm

I want to die.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:34 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I want to die.
A little off topic no?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:44 pm

It sure is! LOL.

Its just that I tried to make the most vile and ridiculous excuse as to why their breast sizes would be seen as sexist one handed writing...and its seen as blase.
Last edited by Cure Dragon 255 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:It sure is! LOL.

Its just that I tried to make the most vile and ridiculous excuse as to why their breast sizes would be relevant...and its seen as blase.
What do you mean relevant?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:00 pm

Ooops! I DIDNT mean relevant. I meant "REALLY SICKENINGLY SEXIST."

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:08 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Ooops! I DIDNT mean relevant. I meant "REALLY SICKENINGLY SEXIST."
Big boobs are sexist? Or do you just not like big boobs?

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:00 pm

"Blushes" N-NO! I meant to showcase such a plot to oogle at big breasts. I'm a gay guy, but I dont think big or small boobs are in and out of themselves sexist.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:13 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:"Blushes" N-NO! I meant to showcase such a plot to oogle at big breasts. I'm a gay guy, but I dont think big or small boobs are in and out of themselves sexist.
Dragon ball never shied away from ecchi content before so I can see character like Chi Chi and Bulma having big breast. Personally I think chi chi should have the bigger breast though it could create some light hearted conflict between her and Bulma.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:33 pm

Again, I dont really mind breasts. I do mind ridiculous plots being written to oogle at em. To be fair and surprisingly Toriyama hasnt written such a plot.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:23 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Again, I dont really mind breasts. I do mind ridiculous plots being written to oogle at em. To be fair and surprisingly Toriyama hasnt written such a plot.
I would I agree if it was only that it would get boring.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:44 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:"Blushes" N-NO! I meant to showcase such a plot to oogle at big breasts. I'm a gay guy, but I dont think big or small boobs are in and out of themselves sexist.
I said plot mostly as a joke. I don't want any fanservice that tasteless... abit silly and exaggerated, but subtly clever and organic. I want manservice too.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:59 pm

Fair enough! Glad that got cleared out!

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:34 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote: I said plot mostly as a joke. I don't want any fanservice that tasteless... abit silly and exaggerated, but subtly clever and organic. I want manservice too.
Hmm that all sounds controtictory. You say silly and exaggerated but some people might see that as tasteless. Also how can some thing be exaggerated but subtle. Isn't fanservice an umbrella term?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:05 am

The problem with fanservice is that it's almost always in one direction, which is to use females to appeal to males. Rarely is it the other way around, let alone played in the same way. It also needs to fit the medium; in my opinion, Dragon Ball has never been an appropriate medium for the fanservice it pulls.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:09 am

Bruma rabu wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: I said plot mostly as a joke. I don't want any fanservice that tasteless... abit silly and exaggerated, but subtly clever and organic. I want manservice too.
Hmm that all sounds controtictory. You say silly and exaggerated but some people might see that as tasteless. Also how can some thing be exaggerated but subtle. Isn't fanservice an umbrella term?
I mean it should be there and present but serve as a distraction. Largely used in a playful matter like how the actual series does.
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:12 am

KBABZ wrote:The problem with fanservice is that it's almost always in one direction, which is to use females to appeal to males. Rarely is it the other way around, let alone played in the same way. It also needs to fit the medium; in my opinion, Dragon Ball has never been an appropriate medium for the fanservice it pulls.
I disagree. Fanservice being aimed only at guys, how is that a problem? If it's a show aimed at males why would it be bad if the fanservice was too? If we use dragon ball as an example, it's a series aimed at boys. Can girls like it? Absolutely 100%, but it's target audience is boys at the end of the day. So if Toriyama decided to have provocative scenes with females(witch he does early on in DB) why would it be bad for him to do so? Also fanservice for women exist and isn't as scarce as you might think.