Should Dragon Ball move forward from the "Goku Saga"? If yes, what new DB stories would you like to see?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Re: Should Dragon Ball move forward from the "Goku Saga"? If yes, what new DB stories would you like to see?

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:33 pm

sintzu wrote:Now all that's left is to see Goku finally reach his dream of becoming the strongest fighter to ever live, another thing the original ending didn't show or answer.
This strikes me as a fundamental misreading of Goku's entire character and the theme of the whole series. Goku's dream is NOT to become "the strongest fighter who ever lived". If Goku actually were to ever truly reach that goal, it would probably COMPLETELY devastate him and leave him feeling bored, hollow, and without purpose or meaning. The point of Goku's character, and of Dragon Ball's core themes, is that that journey has no end. Goku's dream isn't to reach that destination: its to continue traveling on that road forever and ever without it ever ending or there ever being any kind of a ceiling for him to hit.

The single most redeeming quality of Battle of Gods was the ending where Beerus reveals to Goku that there exists a multiverse beyond Goku's home universe with much, much stronger fighters populating it throughout: and moreover, Goku's spot-on perfect reaction, which is of immense joy and relief that there's still more mountains for him to climb and more challenges for him to meet and that he's still nowhere close to finished yet.

That's as much a perfect thematic conclusion to both his character and to the series, even more so arguably than is Goku finally finding himself a pupil to act as a teacher to or his ascending into some sort of mysterious and ambiguously Buddhist-esque higher plane of existence (both of which were already perfectly fine and fitting ending points to begin with).
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Should Dragon Ball move forward from the "Goku Saga"? If yes, what new DB stories would you like to see?

Post by ABED » Sat May 05, 2018 1:39 pm

I knew it was either to be the best, or be the best he can be. Regardless, a satisfying ending doesn't require us seeing everything there is to see. We don't need to see Goku train Uub for us to understand the point of what it means. Granted it took me years to understand the point of it, but I lacked a basic understanding of the genre DB comes from. I still viewed it as a superhero story.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:45 pm

I'd prefer a reboot and let the old "continuity" fall by the wayside. Seeing someone reinterpret the series in interesting new ways with new dynamics and such appeals to me a lot more than continuing the present stuff.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat May 05, 2018 1:51 pm

ABED wrote:I knew it was either to be the best, or be the best he can be. Regardless, a satisfying ending doesn't require us seeing everything there is to see. We don't need to see Goku train Uub for us to understand the point of what it means.
I agree. Despite the core theme of Goku's character and of Dragon Ball overall (and really, most all martial arts fiction in general, as a genre) being that of a journey that has no real end - you fight and you train to be the best you possibly can be until you are incapable of fighting anymore, as there is no arbitrary benchmark of strength and skill for you to meet that acts as a finish line; you go and you go because the never-ending journey towards self-improvement is the whole point unto itself - eventually ALL stories MUST inevitably come to SOME sort of a conclusion.

For a story like Dragon Ball, I find that the Z epilogue, GT episode 64, and BoG all have had endings that work just fine as "final points of closure" for Goku and this series in their own various ways.

The problem with Super is that it has NO clear intention of ever ending things: for all the nuggets of good ideas present (Zamasu is a fantastic villain and addition to the series canon, and stuff like the multiverse and the Tournament of Power are, conceptually on paper at least, excellent and promising ideas) we're just going to go through the motions with endlessly repeating past franchise highlights (given various reskinnings) endlessly until the nostalgia dollars run dry for Toei; and there's obviously now a clear reluctance towards pushing the series in any kind of meaningfully risky or freshly new directions (thus making any of this actually worthwhile for us as an audience), since this isn't the early/mid-90s anymore and Shonen as a whole has gotten VASTLY more "safe" and risk-adverse within the intervening years/decades.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat May 05, 2018 2:07 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Zamasu is a fantastic villain and addition to the series canon
That's a surprise. I was sure you'd hate him considering he's a generic Final Fantasy boss archetype that multiple other, lesser Shounen have used as a villain. Unless you consider Zamasu and Black, by extention, to be intentional over-the-top caricatures/parodies of the archetype (that make some decent points sometimes about the fucked-up nature of the Dragon World; points that get completely ignored and/or ridiculed by everyone else because that's just how the carefree and naive cast would react), as I and some other people do.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Sat May 05, 2018 2:19 pm

No. I don't like how Star Wars is "moving on" (making more movies every year until everybody dies) and I don't want Dragonball to do the same. The Staw Wars universe is "big" only because all the books and stuff made it that way. The actual story is only about the Skywalkers. Dragonball is even more so. Taking a popular work and making infinite new stuff and new characters that are just barely related is my least favorite creative model. Followed by endless reboots of the same characters and stories by a hundred writers (why I don't like Marvel and DC)There trying to do it with Lord of the Rings too. And Naruto. They say they're "evolving" and giving new young exiting creators the chance to make "their own take" on "classic stories" but I don't like it even if the sories are good. A common argument is " it can keep going as long as its good/popular" but Id rather have bad anime than a solid rehash. Super was fine for me but It didn't even hint at any kind of final conclusion which does not bode well.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 05, 2018 2:50 pm

It should, but TOEI isn't willing to take a chance.

I'd personally like to see a slice-of-life series or a spinoff exploring some characters besides Goku and expanding on them.

I also don't agree that Star Wars is running itself into the ground. I like that Disney have tried to broaden the story beyond the Skywalkers with Rogue One, The Last Jedi and soon Solo. I'm hoping these movies will continue to do well so that we can get more risk taking with future instalments.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Sat May 05, 2018 4:32 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:Zamasu is a fantastic villain and addition to the series canon
That's a surprise. I was sure you'd hate him considering he's a generic Final Fantasy boss archetype that multiple other, lesser Shounen have used as a villain. Unless you consider Zamasu and Black, by extention, to be intentional over-the-top caricatures/parodies of the archetype (that make some decent points sometimes about the fucked-up nature of the Dragon World; points that get completely ignored and/or ridiculed by everyone else because that's just how the carefree and naive cast would react), as I and some other people do.
I consider Zamasu, like so many things in post-Boo Dragon Ball material, to be a fantastic concept in search of a good story/execution. The idea of a serious, well-studied Kaioshin who is driven to the brink of total, unhinged lunacy by the thoughtless, careless nature of both mortals and his fellow gods alike is both a great concept in and of itself, as well as (as you noted) a potentially pretty cool piece of self-aware commentary on the wacky Toriyama-esque nature of the Dragon Ball universe itself.

Also on a purely surface/aesthetic level I'm quite fond of Zamasu's visual design (as I am most of the Kaioshins' in general) as well as his repertoire of techniques and general fighting style (which makes use of a lot of fun Boo-era deistic abilities like tearing holes in the fabric of reality, and so forth, and other fun stuff like Ki scythes and whatnot). If nothing else we do get some damn cool fighting bits out of it, and stuff like that - beyond acting as part of the whole reason most people gravitate to martial arts genre fare to begin with - also makes for welcome fodder for DB fighting games such as FighterZ. Plus I think that the rare times that DB delves into a quasi "mystery" type of storyline (like in the early Cell and Boo arcs) are generally very, very much underrated and unsung, and I appreciated another stab at that in Zamasu's arc.

Where Zamasu falters is in how his arc overall handles him otherwise: as you noted, at times he devolves into a familiar Final Fantasy-esque baddie, which I'm generally ok with in small doses (who doesn't love Kefka?), but has gotten to become worn the fuck out in its overuse in tons of lesser material. Beyond that, I'm also not so keen on dragging Future Trunks into it, since that lends the whole arc an air of simply retreading the Cell arc all over again (oh look, Future Trunks time travels back to the past to warn the heroes of a grave, oncoming threat that ends up killing Goku and plunging Trunks' time period into a post-apocalyptic hellhole: we've never done THAT storyline before, no sirree), along with a ton of other issues that I'd just be here all day rehashing.

But for all the problems with Super and with the Zamasu arc in particular, Zamasu himself is a really cool character idea (and design, with a cool array of fighting techniques) that could've lent itself to a really cool new Dragon Ball story. All the elements are indeed present throughout large patches of Super to make for a perfectly fine and solid enough Dragon Ball continuation: it just never gels or coheres into anything that's especially worthwhile, due to general laziness, lack of direction (not everyone can improvise as well as Toriyama could in his prime), as well as more importantly, a lack of willingness or courage to let these ideas take the series and its characters into bold new directions (which many of them EASILY could and in fact almost seem tailor made conceptually FOR that specific purpose, especially considering stuff like the multiverse): the latter of which is a crippling problem that, I would and have argued, even GT didn't have for all its own myriad faults.

Make no mistake, its not that I think that a good, solid continuation of Dragon Ball CAN'T inherently be done: I just question the ability for it to actually happen given both Toriyama's reluctance to fully commit back to doing the series properly (which is ultimately his call to make: he doesn't owe anyone or is under any obligation to do anything that he doesn't feel up for tackling as an artist), as well as moreover the general conservative and corporately safe & sterilized creative environment and overall landscape that major Shonen anime and manga, as a general whole, has been dwelling eyeball-deep within roughly since Dragon Ball had originally ended.

There was a time when genuine risque experimentation and a willingness to be thoroughly uncommercial was quite commonplace (and even encouraged) in Shonen, even within the pages of something as heavily mainstream as Weekly Shonen Jump: we're a long, LOOOOOONG ways away from that time and zeitgeist though, and things have been heavily slanted in the exact opposite of that general direction for the better part of over 20 years now; and Dragon Ball itself is, ironically, in some part to blame for that to a certain extent.

Meaning that, in a way, Dragon Ball's runaway success all those years ago helped lead the way to helping create a greatly more commercially invasive artistic landscape for Shonen manga and anime as a whole that would help stifle the life out of most everything else... up to and including even Dragon Ball's own attempts at making a belated comeback/revival containing even an ounce of boldness or originality. No longer benefiting from the more loose, anything goes and nothing (or very, very little) is off the table type of environment of the 80s and early 90s, its now in today's world a victim of the very same formulaic Shonen-by-corporate-assembly-line monster that it (very much unwittingly and unintentionally) helped to create.
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Sat May 05, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 05, 2018 5:05 pm

I find it ironic that they are playing it safe as I think being unique and taking risks with a story is the best way to find and maintain an audience.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat May 05, 2018 5:09 pm

ABED wrote:I find it ironic that they are playing it safe as I think being unique and taking risks with a story is the best way to find and maintain an audience.
True words, more and more I keep losing my faith in the series. If they keep playing safe, I highly doubt I'll bother to watch the next series.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Pirina_Fusee

Post by Pirina_Fusee » Sat May 05, 2018 10:04 pm

I'll admit the idea of a "next generation" type show with Goten, Trunks, Uub, Marron, Bulla, and Pan has an appeal to me. You could even have Piccolo cough up a kid if the cast needed a Namekian.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat May 05, 2018 11:13 pm

ABED wrote:I find it ironic that they are playing it safe as I think being unique and taking risks with a story is the best way to find and maintain an audience.
This is my biggest issue with modern DB as I think it's holding back its potential.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun May 06, 2018 3:23 am

I enjoy Goku and consider him a favourite character, but at this point he's broken far too many limits and levels that it's not possible he's still human, he should be a God or an Angel by now.

Let some others get the spotlight for once. I enjoyed the "slice of life" episodes DBS had (Vegeta's day off, Gohan in films, Arale vs Vegeta) and I'd like to see more of those.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun May 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Fans have different opinions about the future of Dragon Ball. I am ok with people who are entitled in the opinion DBS should end, or who think DBS is not as entertaining as DBZ or DB. I guess that's just life, we cannot think the same about what we love or once loved. But what about the pointless hate for Super, that i have encountered many times before, mainly on other boards than this one? I think that’s sad considering that Dragon Ball, whether you’re a fan of Super or not, should be all about fun. In the center of the fair intellectual debate stands respect for the opinion of the fellow fan. I don’t like Star Wars anymore. So I do no longer give my money to it. But I don’t go on boards spreading hatred to feed my own ego. I’ve better things to do in life.

I’m ok with fans that do have the opinion the real DB-story ended 20 years ago, and the material that’s now put out is of course mainly of commercial reasons. We are living in another context in comparison with 30 years ago, when Toriyama made his authentic product. Later on came the anime, and so many years after the original anime Super became a reality. Super is made for another, more mainstream audience. One could see that as a disadvantage, but one could see this as an advantage as well: we are getting new content because of that. It’s perfectly ok not no like very piece of new content. But it does provide some candy for the people that still like it.
If one would pose the question to me what I really think is the better product: the original manga/anime or the renaissance age that started with the BOG-movie, I’ll probably pick the original manga/anime as well.

What does hate bring to a valuable discussion on where it all should go? It doesn’t bring any new ideas on why it should end, nor why it should continue. What is pointless in my opinion: for instance being obsessed about power levels and making a coherent scaling about Super, hating other fans or calling them insane because they have another opinion about how much stronger Blue is in comparison to Red, and hating the new stories because they not represent the scale that, according to their own opinion does not work. It doesn't make one understand or appreciate the story less if Blue is 5 times Red or Blue is 50 times Red. Basically another form is just a metaphor for a character becoming stronger. It's no exact science that must have an absolute and direct influence on the quality of the story. That’s pointless hate. Or maybe not that pointless, it feeds the egos of those who like to feast on this illusion. Yes. The sickening aspect of it is there are crows out there that actually feed their own ego with it. It brings and gives nothing, but literarily NOTHING to the community. Pretty much in the same way analyzing TOEI-numbers doesn’t say everything about how good DBS really is, or, how much of our ‘money’ they shoose to re-invest in it.

Once upon a time power scaling arose as a subculture within the Dragon Ball-community. It was all about having fun. Real good storytelling however doesn’t have that much to do with scaling. That’s not how it works IMHO. Scaling is the derivative. So how can one give birth to a story based on power scaling alone?
I know there are animes out there, on an artistic and philosophical level, are not comparable with Super. I don’t expect the new Super-movie to become the next End of Evangelion.
I think Super does have got the framework right, but there is still room for improvement.

Epic battle anime is all about a hero conquering an obstacle, and show it as epic as possible. They did very well with TOP, having that framework right. In a sense it’s always about the same. But they did put in some effort to show it in a different way. If MUI would have been just another power-up, I would have been disappointed. But hell, Jiren wasn’t even a real villain, just a wall of power Goku had to overcome. TOP didn’t only present that feeling of nostalgia, it grabbed the classic Dragon Ball-ingredients and made a new proper dish with some of the old flavors in it. Moreover every episode became a story on it’s own. Was the story writing that lazy? I honestly don’t think so.

So they apparently had the framework right that went beyond pure nostalgia. Then what about the characters they bring along? The characters are the second most vital part of the story, maybe even more important than the story itself, they make up the story. It’s probably a good thing they brought back the old characters. What I didn’t like, is they drag them along every single episode (like Goku, Master Roshi and Piccolo and Krillin always really had something to do or say …). Please get rid of that need for saturation.

DBZ brought me some heart-stopping moments. I felt along with the characters. I felt it when they made a sacrifice. When 17 apparently sacrificed himself, it touched the feeling of some of the older sacrifices in Z, but it didn’t pull completely through. And in the final episode, although it was clearly not the ending, it even touched that melancholy of Z’s ending. That’s not because it was bad writing. But rather because of a lack of making the characters really alive. And that’s a shame in my opinon, because the success of an anime isn’t measured in the business numbers of TOEI, it’s about the feeling the characters give to fans. It’s not about it’s Goku, Piccolo or some ancient Saiyan. It’s all about how alive they are. And the empathy you feel when they loose or win a battle.

Speaking about making characters alive and that’s one of the main reasons I still like Super apart from the epic stories and nostalgia: they’ve worked hard to improve the animation. In the movie they are going to put in effort to bring this to this to the next level. Goku really seems almost alive in that first trailer. Well, what I hope, and this movie would be an excellent way to do so: I hope they will invest in character-development as well. Character-development, new key animation, simple but good art: if you put that above the epic stories we already have, I still hold my hopes high there are some more intresting stories to come within this franchise. Super hasn’t aired in recent weeks and do miss it for a reason. And yes, a lot is about nostalgia. But there is nothing wrong with that, is there? If I want to watch some more in-depth-anime, I know where to watch it. And I know why I still like Dragon Ball. Could the Dragon Ball franchise improve during their ‘hiatus’, they could provide an even better product, something that combines that old-school-magic touch with a new story. And I hope they’ll try revolutionary for a chance, it will make the ensemble more refreshing. Even for a mainstream-audience this should be possible. Combining new and classic elements into a new product is like designing a new sports scar: you’ve got to bring in new elements but keep the old, nostalgic ones as well. That’s one hell of a challenge.

And it’s perfectly fine if the real Dragon Ball-story ended 20 years ago (if that's your honest opinion). That shouldn’t discourage us to enjoy (some) of the new content in its own right.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun May 06, 2018 2:41 pm

I don't think that's true. The new Blade Runner flopped despite being a new and interesting take on an old story.

Saimaroimaru
Advanced Regular

Post by Saimaroimaru » Sun May 06, 2018 3:04 pm

I wouldn't mind them focusing on Goten & Trunks.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun May 06, 2018 3:19 pm

I honestly don't mind the concept of more stories being told in Dragon Ball. At the same time, I'm not so attached to Dragon Ball where I feel it's a necessity for more Dragon Ball stories to be told.

Would I like to see a series that focuses on characters like Pan, Bra, Oob, Goten and Trunks? Yes. I think the potential is there for show like that to be entertaining and a fresh narrative perspective for Dragon Ball? But I do I feel as though it needs to happen in the very near future? No.

I have 42 volumes of perfectly good and sustainable material to scratch my Dragon Ball itch for a lifetime. What may or may not happen in the future with how Dragon Ball handles it's story doesn't concern me at all, because it's story already ended over 20 years ago.

I don't hold anything against Toei or Toyotaro taking Dragon Ball and putting their own spin on it to churn out more tales. Whether it's with Goku at the forefront or a new cast, really isn't a a creative decision I won't resent based on personal presence or nostalgia.

If the next Dragon Ball stories we get end up being wholesome and entertaining with the devices at their disposal, in regards to the central cast, time period, and setting, then it's something worthwhile to look back on. If they end up botching it, I won't really care at the end of the day. I've got more than enough good Dragon Ball content to fall back, that I couldn't really give two fuck if they end up pulling another Dragon Ball Minus or Episode of Bardock.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 06, 2018 4:39 pm

Doctor. wrote:
I don't think that's true. The new Blade Runner flopped despite being a new and interesting take on an old story.
The old Blade Runner wasn't a hit either, and it's not a hard and fast rule. Quality doesn't guarantee anything, but pumping out the same old same old very often results in diminishing returns. There's no safe way to guarantee profitability. And how does pointing out one example disprove my thesis?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun May 06, 2018 5:21 pm

ABED wrote: but pumping out the same old same old very often results in diminishing returns.
But this is demonstrably false. There are dozens of franchises out there that continue to live on by rehashing the same formula over and over again. This is very common in video games, for instance. Even in other media, stuff like the Pokemon anime or the MCU.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 06, 2018 6:04 pm

It's also demonstrably true as plenty of shows and franchises keep doing the same thing over and over to ever less effect. The MCU doesn't do the same thing over and over. They bring in new characters, turn conventions on their head, and take lefts constantly. That's one of the reasons why 10 years in, it's as popular as ever.

Look at American Pie. It was fresh when it first came out and then it rehashed the formula movie after movie to far less effect.

And I never said it was a rule, just a general observation. There are plenty of examples in both directions, but the ones that don't limp on change things up. And video games don't count. They are about gameplay, not story.