Funny thing about Cell.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Toxin45
Regular

Funny thing about Cell.

Post by Toxin45 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:58 pm

The Funny thing about Cell is that in an interview Toriyama really disliked drawing Cell due to all those spots and it seems the writers agree. Guess that's why he doesn't appear in Super lol. Also because he is the least popular Z villain in japan unlike in the west where he is more popular. Just wanted to say this I mean would you feel Toriyama's pain drawing Cell? :D

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Funny thing about Cell.

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:11 pm

What's the funny part?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed May 09, 2018 2:56 pm

I don't understand these kinds of statements. "I'm in full control of the character's design, the character goes through a metamorphosis, it's really tiring drawing this detail on the character, but I'm not going to take away that detail when the character goes through his metamorphosis." Genius.

We are all aware that he had the option to omit that "pain." So, like, why not omit it?

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:12 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:What's the funny part?
What I have said dude cell had such a complex design while Frieza and buu had more simple designs.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:14 pm

Toxin45 wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:What's the funny part?
What I have said dude cell had such a complex design while Frieza and buu had more simple designs.
...Ha?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Wed May 09, 2018 4:46 pm

Why would Cell appear again?
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:52 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Why would Cell appear again?
Personally I don't care if he does or not I guess a lot of his fans do due to Frieza returning twice in super and being alive again alongside vegeta and buu. Compared to cell who has no involvement in the lore of the franchise like Frieza and buu. I think cell should return in video game stories like fighterz

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed May 09, 2018 6:13 pm

Only a matter of time before Cell comes back with his new form: Cell Dorado

Resurrection: C
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:03 pm

Logania wrote:Only a matter of time before Cell comes back with his new form: Cell Dorado

Resurrection: C
Yeah and Frieza steals the meme from cell as Frieza dorado. Although with cell as gohan's archenemy that would make Gohan relevant again. Also i don't think he would get a new form just like Frieza did

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Toxin45 wrote:
Personally I don't care if he does or not I guess a lot of his fans do due to Frieza returning twice in super and being alive again alongside vegeta and buu. Compared to cell who has no involvement in the lore of the franchise like Frieza and buu. I think cell should return in video game stories like fighterz
How does Cell not have involvement in the lore?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:38 pm

ABED wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
How does Cell not have involvement in the lore?
Well Frieza knows of Beerus and the saiyans while buu is a supporting character in the lore with his kid buu incarnation reborn as uub goku's appernance. He was only on Earth and died there and no one wanted to bring him back unlike frieza and he was only apart of the red ribbon army in the androids also gohan's character arc. He was metioned only in the future trunks arc and his time machine was used to help trunks go back into time. Cell has the least involvement in the lore is what I am saying.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed May 09, 2018 9:05 pm

The Red Ribbon Army and the Cell arcs are pretty significant parts of the show, not to mention Uub isn't in much of the story, I'd say Cell is just as much part of the lore as Buu.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Wed May 09, 2018 9:31 pm

ABED wrote:The Red Ribbon Army and the Cell arcs are pretty significant parts of the show, not to mention Uub isn't in much of the story, I'd say Cell is just as much part of the lore as Buu.
Well yeah but the red ribbon army is long sinced gone and Cell is still dead plus only 17 and 18 are still around. Plus unless one of them is a red ribbon supporter then Cell wouldn't come back and if super does return it would feature uub again. Cell pretty much became a memory at this point. The Red Ribbon army and Cell were simply started as earth threats while Frieza and formerly Buu were known across the universe Cell would have become a universal threat if he hadn't died on earth.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu May 10, 2018 4:43 am

Still don't see how any of that proves that Cell isn't as important to the lore of DB as Buu. I'll give you Freeza, but at this point not Buu. Uub is only in Z at the very end and he doesn't do much in GT. Meanwhile, Cell has connections going back to Goku's early days and he was a significant big bad.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu May 10, 2018 5:17 am

Cell is actually just as big as Frieza in Japan, if not more

Frieza is aimed primarily for kids

Cell is biological android, with specific goals which caters more to teens compared to kids

In fact, I think Cell's design with those spots are what makes him distinctive, compared to simpler designs of Frieza & Boo

Dont get me wrong. I truely admire Toriyama's effort for 1st, 2nd & 4th form Frieza.

But Majin Boo is simplest one, except maybe Bootenks & Boohan.

Considering how evil, spoiled brat like Frieza can be resurected, guess no telling if Toriyama decides to ressurect Cell who was basically, a pre-programmed life form.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu May 10, 2018 5:31 am

Vijay wrote:Cell is actually just as big as Frieza in Japan, if not more

Cell is biological android, with specific goals which caters more to teens compared to kids

In fact, I think Cell's design with those spots are what makes him distinctive, compared to simpler designs of Frieza & Boo

Dont get me wrong. I truely admire Toriyama's effort for 1st, 2nd & 4th form Frieza.

Considering how evil, spoiled brat like Frieza can be resurected, guess no telling if Toriyama decides to ressurect Cell who was basically, a pre-programmed life form.
Where did you get that idea from?

From recent polls relating to favourite villains, Cell was hardly represented at all, hell even Majin Buu was more popular.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu May 10, 2018 5:40 am

JazzMazz wrote:

Where did you get that idea from?

From recent polls relating to favourite villains, Cell was hardly represented at all, hell even Majin Buu was more popular.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Frieza, Jiren, Piccolo (naturally, offspring of Piccolo Daimou), Broly (inspiration for Kale), Goku Black were all showcased in DBS on a regular basis.
Its only natural for those characters to top poll compared to deeply-engraved baddies 20 years back who never made even a glimpse in Super

Besides, notice how Cell's rating were considerably higher compared to that of freakin ZAMASU!!! Still better imo

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 10, 2018 6:48 am

I was wondering why Cell hardly got any merch then given Sosa's recent BWFC Cell went down in price almost immediately upon release answered that question, it was surprise given the last time Perfect Cell had a regular figure release in Japan was 2011, assumed more people would've been over that.

Anyway I don't like Cell. He's boring, lame and uninteresting once he leaves "Imperfect" State and becomes a generic villain who can destory everything but chooses not to because he wants to test his strength, yawn. Design wise he's cool but I don't want him back at all there's literally no personality to him he wouldn't bring anything to the table.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu May 10, 2018 7:30 am

Definitely thought Cell would be more popular than that, but it's true that he hasn't been used a lot in media lately. FighterZ shines the light on him a lot I heard. I liked him well enough, but IMO he doesn't hold a candle to Freeza and King Piccolo. I haven't heard much of Norio Wakamoto either, so if the VA is semi-retired might be also a reason why he hasn't been used that much.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu May 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Nah cell is actually more popular in the west than in Japan and you have to remember that cell scores lower in polls and Japan he is less popular