About Launch's future

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

About Launch's future

Post by IndieBooToo » Sat May 26, 2018 2:12 pm

You know something bugs me here. Toriyama knows she exists since he brought her back for the 2008 OVA and even came up with a post story for what happened to her in interviews. She should come back soon and a good way for that if she gets with a Saiyan. I mean.

Chi Chi got with Goku
Bulma got with Vegeta
Videl got with Gohan
And even Mai got with Trunks which is why she's relevant now.

Launch could be given the same treatment. The Super movie teaser showed off a mysterious new Saiyan from U7. So pair her with him. Simple.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Re: About Launch's future

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat May 26, 2018 4:08 pm

I don’t think she has one and I don’t particularly care for her to have one. She was written out and that’s good enough for me. She was never a particularly important character. I’d rather Dragon Ball move forward rather than look back at the past for inspiration.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat May 26, 2018 5:19 pm

I don't really care about Launch coming back. If they actually do something new and interesting with her multiple personality thing, that'd be cool but otherwise shit gets old.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat May 26, 2018 5:34 pm

Launch is a favourite of mine and I'd love to see her back.

But I think she's paired off with Tien. But Tien's cool too in his own way.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 26, 2018 7:23 pm

Does anyone know why FUNi changed Lunch's name to Launch?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:49 pm

ABED wrote:Does anyone know why FUNi changed Lunch's name to Launch?
Most likely because calling somebody "Lunch" in English might be silly to kids. Can you imagine a character named Dinner or Breakfast?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:55 pm

I realise this is a digression from the thread's originally intended topic, but I've never understood this either.
I presume it's just an incompetent romanisation, rather like Krillin, Giru, or Bulla.
Forte224 wrote:Most likely because calling somebody "Lunch" in English might be silly to kids?
And Piano, Garlic, Freeza, and Trunks aren't?
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:00 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
I realise this is a digression from the thread's originally intended topic, but I've never understood this either.
I presume it's just an incompetent romanisation, rather like Krillin, Giru, or Bulla.
Forte224 wrote:Most likely because calling somebody "Lunch" in English might be silly to kids?
I mean, I'm not saying I'm defending it. But, they did change the spelling of Freeza to Frieza, and there isn't much you can alter with Trunks, Garlic or Piano to hide the pun. Lunch to Launch was easy. Besides, calling someone Lunch is a slightly higher level of silliness than the rest of those.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:04 pm

Forte224 wrote:I mean, I'm not saying I'm defending it. But, they did change the spelling of Freeza to Frieza, and there isn't much you can alter with Trunks, Garlic or Piano to hide the pun. Lunch to Launch was easy. Besides, calling someone Lunch is a slightly higher level of silliness than the rest of those.
I would argue Piano is the silliest name in all of Dragon Ball. (Unless you count Harmony Gold's masterpiece of "Whiskers The Wonder-Cat")
I would also argue that Trunks could become Tolanks, Garlic could become Kallik, and Piano could become Pian. (I realise these sound awful, but this is Funimation we're talking about, so...) And, of course, if they couldn't use an obtuse romanisation to make the name sound less silly, they could do what they did with Tsuru Sennin, Bra, Muten Roshi, and Shen -- just make something up(For those unaware, those characters became, respectively, Master Shen, Bulla, Master Roshi, and Hero).

Besides, while calling a character Lunch is a little silly, she was only introduced 5 or 10 episodes after Boss Rabbit, a giant rabbit who turns people into carrots, and is ultimately defeated by being sent to the moon, where he'll be tasked with making sweets for children until Goku sees fit to release them.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Sat May 26, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 26, 2018 8:06 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
I mean, I'm not saying I'm defending it. But, they did change the spelling of Freeza to Frieza, and there isn't much you can alter with Trunks, Garlic or Piano to hide the pun. Lunch to Launch was easy. Besides, calling someone Lunch is a slightly higher level of silliness than the rest of those.
That's a fairly arbitrary line. Lunch is sillier than Garlic?

I don't mind Lunch's name because she's a silly character and to bring this back to her future. I kinda wish she would come back in some way. She doesn't have to contribute, but it would be nice to see her with her old friends after all this time.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:11 pm

ABED wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:I realise this is a digression from the thread's originally intended topic, but I've never understood this either.

That's a fairly arbitrary line. Lunch is sillier than Garlic?
Yes? I'd be willing to bet that the average person finds someone named Lunch sillier than someone named Garlic. And Piano is easier to accept (not that it needs accepting but you know what I mean) with names like Piccolo, Tambourine, etc. in the mix. There aren't any Dinners or Breakfasts to go along with Lunch.

But can we not make a big deal out of this? It's all guesswork anyway. I was simply posting my take on the guesswork. I don't currently have the phone battery life (3%) to keep discussing.

Also it's off topic.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat May 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Again, all arbitrary. It's fine if that's your arbitrary view. I have my own arbitrary views, but as long as we can acknowledge them as such.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat May 26, 2018 11:18 pm

Does anyone know why FUNi changed Lunch's name to Launch?
Probably because of her propensity for firearms, and because it might sound "hardcore".

They're technically not "wrong" for doing so, and the katakana backs it up. The name "Lunch" was never officially confirmed by anyone, and there's no evidence within the series that she was named after the word "lunch". I think there was a title page in the manga that once had her name spelled out as "Lunch", but that's it.

As for Lunch not reappearing, I'm nearly convinced at this point that Toriyama just hates the character. There are plenty of other characters who are far less prominent that have reappeared or hung on for far longer. I mean, the various revival media from the last few years seems like it would be the perfect opportunity for at least *some* kind of appearance, but apparently nothing.

You would think that with Koyama Mami popping in as Arale, they could write in a little Lunch, but who knows...

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat May 26, 2018 11:20 pm

Launch may have been picked to suit her tomboyish side (I'm speculating though). Although, it would have been neat for Launch to be for her Yellow personality and Lunch for her Blue personality, considering that Blue is most associated with cooking for Roshi, Goku and Krillin. Although that would have been hard to explain in a dub script.