Will Funimation ever re-release DB or GT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Will Funimation ever re-release DB or GT?

Post by mecha3000 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:21 pm

I sold my Dragon Ball and GT season sets a few years ago, but am thinking about buying them again and probably will end up doing it. However, then I got to thinking: Do you think Funimation will ever re-release these on Blu-ray or something? I'm aware DB and GT never got the HD treatment (as far as I know) so chances are slim to none, especially since DB and GT are the least popular of Z and Super. Still, I remember Funimation putting out a survey a few years ago asking fans if they wanted Dragon Boxes for those series. This inspired me to get rid of my season sets because I was hoping we'd get Dragon Boxes of DB and GT with the original Japanese songs and previews.

But it's 2018 and the survey was from 2012/2013 or something like that so I don't think they're ever going to re-release DB and GT again. I guess I kind of answered my own question, but I still want to see if there's something I'm missing here so: Thoughts?

sintzu
Banned

Re: Will Funimation ever re-release DB or GT?

Post by sintzu » Mon May 28, 2018 9:17 pm

When Funimation asked what fans wanted, DB was a finished franchise as it had no new content being released so the only way to sell it was to re-release old content. Now however, they're in the middle of releasing a new show, will probably release the new movie as soon as possible and are probably preparing for what comes after so there's no need or time to re-release old content like before.

Personally I think their DB&GT sets are alright so just go ahead and get those as the chances of anything replacing them are 0%. If they're going to release anything old it'll be Z in 4K and even that's a streatch.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Gon Soku

Post by Gon Soku » Tue May 29, 2018 6:00 am

Dragonball deserves it. I don't get why DB seems to be so neglected in the english speaking world, it and DBZ are the same series, they are not separate works.

The blue bricks are not a great release, they're kinda okay but have too many flaws.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:35 am

I'm super glad to see you again mecha 3000. I really hope a remake will come for OG DB! That could be seriously awesome.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue May 29, 2018 7:38 am

I don't think the break for Super would be long enough for Funimation to consider giving Dragon Ball or GT the Blu-Ray treatment (unless they do a REALLY cheap job of it, which I'd rather not have and they should know better than to attempt). Weird enough as it is, if Battle of Gods never happened (and by proxy RoF and Super), then we might have gotten it already since Funimation would have wanted to keep their end of the franchise going.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:03 am

KBABZ wrote:I don't think the break for Super would be long enough for Funimation to consider giving Dragon Ball or GT the Blu-Ray treatment (unless they do a REALLY cheap job of it, which I'd rather not have and they should know better than to attempt). Weird enough as it is, if Battle of Gods never happened (and by proxy RoF and Super), then we might have gotten it already since Funimation would have wanted to keep their end of the franchise going.
I really don't understand why so much people expect things from Funimation, Funi have cancelled the great level sets, they ignore public expectation by creating the ugliest blu ray i ever seen of the season sets (which sold very well)
only this stuff show that funi don't care about fandom, i know sabat got db audios and will try make funimation using them but i don't expect anything from this part.

If Funi make a new bluray or 4k release it will follow the same politics of making artificial release .. so it don't worth anything

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:19 am

If I recall Funimation doesn't have the film for DB or GT, so they couldn't produce a proper Blu-Ray release even if they wanted to.

They could upscale their 480p digibeta, but at best, it would just end up looking like a slightly sharper version of the DVD.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue May 29, 2018 8:39 am

KBABZ wrote:I don't think the break for Super would be long enough for Funimation to consider giving Dragon Ball or GT the Blu-Ray treatment (unless they do a REALLY cheap job of it, which I'd rather not have and they should know better than to attempt). Weird enough as it is, if Battle of Gods never happened (and by proxy RoF and Super), then we might have gotten it already since Funimation would have wanted to keep their end of the franchise going.
By the time FUNi would finish releasing DBS it'd probably be long back on the air, they are taking there sweet sweet time with releasing that which isn't that surprising since they don't need to rush it I guess, they currently having OP going steady Fairy Tail will return for a final series (that'll most likely run a years worth of episodes), they're milking the shit out of MHA (making an LE for every part is ridiculous) & they got Black Clover (releasing 10 eps a part). I was miffed as to why they were releasing DBS so slowly but now I think I get it. But yeah don't think there is a chance for any re-release (other than collecting DBS in season sets), tbh it probably would be for the best their QC on releases lately has been shocking.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue May 29, 2018 9:08 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
By the time FUNi would finish releasing DBS it'd probably be long back on the air, they are taking there sweet sweet time with releasing that which isn't that surprising since they don't need to rush it I guess
I think Funimation is more aware that with the advent of simulcasting and online subs, they are very much the second wave of an anime's release for the most passionate of anime fans. As such they can piggyback off of the original release in Japan and the subsequent online stream and take more time.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 29, 2018 10:30 am

DHM211 wrote:If I recall Funimation doesn't have the film for DB or GT, so they couldn't produce a proper Blu-Ray release even if they wanted to.
Couldn't they just get them form Toei ?
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:They got Black Clover (releasing 10 eps a part).
That's a bad deal if I ever saw one. Hopefully we don't end up with 3-4 episode sets like the good old days.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue May 29, 2018 10:51 am

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:They got Black Clover (releasing 10 eps a part).
That's a bad deal if I ever saw one. Hopefully we don't end up with 3-4 episode sets like the good old days.
Isn't BC lasting just a bit over 50 episodes? No doubt they did that to milk it for 5 parts.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 29, 2018 11:11 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Isn't BC lasting just a bit over 50 episodes? No doubt they did that to milk it for 5 parts.
They announced 51 episodes but I think that's just a starter number as the manga is still going so if it takes off they'll most likely continue. With 51 you'd think they'd release them in 4 parts to get 2 collections out of them.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 29, 2018 1:34 pm

sintzu wrote:
DHM211 wrote:If I recall Funimation doesn't have the film for DB or GT, so they couldn't produce a proper Blu-Ray release even if they wanted to.
Then they'd do a release just as bad as the Season BDs/Orange Bricks of Z, so the DVDs would be superior.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue May 29, 2018 5:15 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Then they'd do a release just as bad as the Season BDs/Orange Bricks of Z, so the DVDs would be superior.
Genuine question: what makes you say that? Shouldn't digital distribution make it at least a little bit easier these days?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 29, 2018 7:15 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
sintzu wrote: Couldn't they just get them form Toei ?
Genuine question: what makes you say that? Shouldn't digital distribution make it at least a little bit easier these days?
The issue isn't distrobuting it but rather them rushing it and making a mess like they did with Z.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:02 pm

sintzu wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Genuine question: what makes you say that? Shouldn't digital distribution make it at least a little bit easier these days?
The issue isn't distrobuting it but rather them rushing it and making a mess like they did with Z.
Exactly.
Funimation have had a track record of doing bad Dragon Ball HD masters. Only time they did it right was the Levels, which were dead in the water because of how poorly they timed, marketed, and overall handled its release(One could even go as far as to argue it was sabotaged). All their other custom "Remasters" have been the crap we've all been complaining about since 2007.

All we can really hope for is that either Toei does a good HD master that Funi imports(Unlikely), or Funi does a boxset using the DB and GT Dragon Box masters(Arguably even more unlikely, though it is worth noting Funi already have the GT Dragon Box masters).
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed May 30, 2018 1:13 am

Robo4900 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Genuine question: what makes you say that? Shouldn't digital distribution make it at least a little bit easier these days?
Exactly.
Funimation have had a track record of doing bad Dragon Ball HD masters. Only time they did it right was the Levels, which were dead in the water because of how poorly they timed, marketed, and overall handled its release(One could even go as far as to argue it was sabotaged). All their other custom "Remasters" have been the crap we've all been complaining about since 2007.

All we can really hope for is that either Toei does a good HD master that Funi imports(Unlikely), or Funi does a boxset using the DB and GT Dragon Box masters(Arguably even more unlikely, though it is worth noting Funi already have the GT Dragon Box masters).
I really don't think Toei will do that, for example i'll take the new yamato HD bluray of the movies, it doesn't use Funimation HD masters but Toei Dragon Movie box upscale with DNR on HD, Toei seems to love using DNR, it's really no cost and anyway, like season sets, people will keep on buying them, all Toei action are like the funi's one and seems to take the crappy DNR direction. I really don't think as this kind of things occured now (the yamato release have just been released) that it will change and Toei will suddenly feel any need doing proper remasters, they didn't even tried to do it for movies (which are only 17 for the old ones) so why they will do it for more than 500ep

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:22 pm

For the love of God, I hope FUNimation doesn't get any ideas to upscale/filter Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT and then release them on Blu-ray while advertising it to be "in pure high definition like never seen before!" I'm hopeful TOEI remasters the three series in HD because FUNimation's remasters are quite assy, except for DB and GT which are pretty good (although the metallic GT logo can be annoying to look at).

The Japanese TV audio broadcasts of Dragon Ball series are out there now so it's just a matter of FUNi to ask permission to TOEI if they could use them, in case the TOEI releases were to use the muffled audio files like it is on the Dragon Boxes.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:49 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:FUNimation's remasters are quite assy, except for DB and GT which are pretty good (although the metallic GT logo can be annoying to look at).
Funimation's remasters of DB (the series, not the movies...which got an actual remaster) and GT are basically their digibeta masters (based off a 90s transfer and a proto Dragon Box master respectively), zoomed in a little and DVNR'd (possibly with some saturation on the DB side of things...the GT colors are more or less unaltered). The reason they look "pretty good" is because they weren't given the heavy level of DVNR that the Season Blurays (and to a greater/lesser extent the Orange Bricks) received.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:57 am

Thankfully if they do it will be licensing TOEI's recent masters (assuming they do the series as well) as the ship has sailed on a Blu-Ray equivalent of the blue and green bricks.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: