Were 17 and 18 more popular than Cell in Japan?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Were 17 and 18 more popular than Cell in Japan?

Post by DestructoDisc » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:43 pm

I noticed that Cell doesn't really appear much in anything. If you ignore the illusion of him in that Krillin episode, he's the only big bad from Z to not be seen in Super at all. 17 and 18 on the other hand appear in pretty much everything. 18 was one of the main characters in FighterZ while 17 was a big player in Super's tournament of power and got a lot of screentime. The 2 also had a mini arc in GT. Were they more popular than Cell in Japan?

Toxin45
Regular

Re: Were 17 and 18 more popular than Cell in Japan?

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:39 pm

Well Cell's figures sold less compared to Frieza who appeared in more arcs than cell and has action figures sold more he returned in Resurrection F and Tournament of Power.Future Trunks also returns in super and 17 and 18 became pretty popular more so than cell. Plus Cell is a pain to draw so yeah Cell is less popular in Japan.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:00 pm

DestructoDisc wrote:I noticed that Cell doesn't really appear much in anything. If you ignore the illusion of him in that Krillin episode, he's the only big bad from Z to not be seen in Super at all. 17 and 18 on the other hand appear in pretty much everything. 18 was one of the main characters in FighterZ while 17 was a big player in Super's tournament of power and got a lot of screentime. The 2 also had a mini arc in GT. Were they more popular than Cell in Japan?
I think it has more to do with them being alive and on the heroes side rather than being more popular.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:21 pm

I can't speak for today, but back during the Cell arc's original run? No way. Cell was massively more visible and marketed than #17 and #18 were. The twins were certainly put out there for sure, and they by all means had a fan following (especially 18; she got a whole lot of love and attention in many fan circles): but Cell was definitely overall the more aggressively, outwardly visible on all promotion and in video games and other assorted DBZ media at the time (early through mid 90s).

Honestly I was originally at the time (during GT's original Japanese airing) somewhat taken aback - albeit pleasantly so - that #17 was brought back to the degree that he was in GT. 18 was more of a darling in fanfic/fan art types of circles, and Cell was massively hyped up by the series' promotion overall: 17, by contrast, often seemed like he fell by the wayside in comparison, despite having his own smaller following and having that one stunning, show-stopping fight with Piccolo during the mid-Cell arc. Typically whenever 17 was brought up in discussion, it was usually almost ALWAYS in relation to 18: 18 would come up in fan discourse much more often as her own individual entity than 17 would be on his own.

Whatever their status has been over in Japan in recent years, I honestly cannot say. But back in the early/mid 90s, the relative pecking order for them (in terms of general fan popularity and overall visibility) went something like: Cell > 18 > 17.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:40 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:I can't speak for today, but back during the Cell arc's original run? No way. Cell was massively more visible and marketed than #17 and #18 were. The twins were certainly put out there for sure, and they by all means had a fan following (especially 18; she got a whole lot of love and attention in many fan circles): but Cell was definitely overall the more aggressively, outwardly visible on all promotion and in video games and other assorted DBZ media at the time (early through mid 90s).

Honestly I was originally at the time (during GT's original Japanese airing) somewhat taken aback - albeit pleasantly so - that #17 was brought back to the degree that he was in GT. 18 was more of a darling in fanfic/fan art types of circles, and Cell was massively hyped up by the series' promotion overall: 17, by contrast, often seemed like he fell by the wayside in comparison, despite having his own smaller following and having that one stunning, show-stopping fight with Piccolo during the mid-Cell arc. Typically whenever 17 was brought up in discussion, it was usually almost ALWAYS in relation to 18: 18 would come up in fan discourse much more often as her own individual entity than 17 would be on his own.

Whatever their status has been over in Japan in recent years, I honestly cannot say. But back in the early/mid 90s, the relative pecking order for them (in terms of general fan popularity and overall visibility) went something like: Cell > 18 > 17.
Yeah but modern dragon ball made 17 and 18 a little more popular than Cell now. Super made 17 popular more than he was in the past alongside future trunks and frieza than cell was back in the days

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:39 pm

I thought Cell didn't appear as much because his color scheme made him hard to animate.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147