Who do you think are Toriyama's least favorite characters?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Who do you think its Toriyama's Unfavorite Characters? Be Respectful.

Post by ABED » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:40 pm

Waluigiman wrote:I know. but that won't happen if there is no try. That is if my statement is true that Toriyama or the staff haven't tried to do something with their stablished characters beyond their introduction.
None of this proves or even shows he dislike these characters. This is all conjecture.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:04 am

ABED wrote:
Waluigiman wrote:I know. but that won't happen if there is no try. That is if my statement is true that Toriyama or the staff haven't tried to do something with their stablished characters beyond their introduction.
None of this proves or even shows he dislike these characters. This is all conjecture.
But its more evidence than the opposite, I say its less hate hate but more as indifference which still qualifies as least favorite or unfavorite. Remember that this topic is called Who do you think are Toriyama's least favortie characters? not list his official least favorite characters. All this is just a guessing topic.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Who do you think are Toriyama's least favorite characters?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:21 am

Yeah. This topic is alllll about conjecture.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:13 am

Waluigiman wrote:
ABED wrote:
But its more evidence than the opposite, I say its less hate hate but more as indifference which still qualifies as least favorite or unfavorite. Remember that this topic is called Who do you think are Toriyama's least favortie characters? not list his official least favorite characters. All this is just a guessing topic.
I know that, but you're not basing it on evidence like statements made from Toriyama, just based on things like who's stronger than whom or who gets the focus.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:21 am

The only one we know he at one time didn't really like was Vegeta and mostly kept him around out of convenience because his personality made it easy to progress the story. I don't know if he feels the same way about him now.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:44 pm

ABED wrote:
Waluigiman wrote:
ABED wrote:None of this proves or even shows he dislike these characters. This is all conjecture.
I know that, but you're not basing it on evidence like statements made from Toriyama, just based on things like who's stronger than whom or who gets the focus.
I am completly aware that I have no true evidence. Also the treatment of a fictional character CAN represent what the author's opinions and preferences of them. If a character is ignored or too "mistreated" it could but not necesseraly hint that it cannot be the author's favorite. If a character gets too much focus and is not the main character and is treated well, it's could be the creator's favorite. The only reason I had a discussion about this is because I wanted you to understand the point of this topic. Its just a ultimately harmless guess of who I think Toriyama does not like. Nothing more to discuss here because I explained everything here so let's stop before things get ugly.
Let's move on.

Like someone said before, I agree that Piano is a unfavorite because:
His inclusion didn't affected the story and I don't remember anyone to notice his death, not even King Piccolo the same guy who mourned for the death of his other children. Because of this, I doubt he is among Toriyama's favorite characters.
Launch: It is beleived by fans that Toriyama forgot Launch existed or even decided to leave her behind. There is no doubt that she potentially could be an unfavorite.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:04 pm

I know what a discussion and an opinion is, but many of these comments read not like what Toriyama's least favorite characters are, but what the members' least favorites are. For instance, I doubt Piano would even make the list. He's so insignificant.

Ekrolo2's statement about Vegeta is one that makes sense and isn't a mere shot in the dark. It sounds way more plausible that he didn't like Vegeta but continued to write him because Vegeta was popular. I know that would bother me more than some less visible character.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:32 am

ABED wrote:I know what a discussion and an opinion is, but many of these comments read not like what Toriyama's least favorite characters are, but what the members' least favorites are. For instance, I doubt Piano would even make the list. He's so insignificant.

Ekrolo2's statement about Vegeta is one that makes sense and isn't a mere shot in the dark. It sounds way more plausible that he didn't like Vegeta but continued to write him because Vegeta was popular. I know that would bother me more than some less visible character.
Just let me be. The arguement is over and I refuse to take part of it. Also I may be wrong about who is Toriyama's least favorite characters and that is just because everything else is nothing what Toriyama ever said or confirmed it was just me guessing. Unfortunately you are not interested in the topic[spoiler]Evidence by the fact you continously ignore my explanations and the topic's intro description and you have a long history of trying to make people look bad or try to make a forum about a animated show less enjoyable by always complaining or criticizing about how people don't think like you.[/spoiler] itself and you just came in to belittle me because I do not share the same mindset of yours and it does not help that you refuse to ignore my topic or my earlier attempt to end the arguement. Just please leave me alone. Being judgemental on how other people think is just not acceptable. Let's mutually agree to end this conversation.
Last edited by Waluigiman on Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:40 am

While I do agree with you on the whole "Screentime and Power" fallacy I have to agree with the above post ABED. You, for some reason, have tried to undermine the whole topic at every turn,first you say its all conjecture. When told "Its all about conjecture", you say its all what we think, which is the whole point of a conjecture. Its about what we think, for better or worse and you need to accept that.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:27 am

Waluigiman wrote:
ABED wrote:I know what a discussion and an opinion is, but many of these comments read not like what Toriyama's least favorite characters are, but what the members' least favorites are. For instance, I doubt Piano would even make the list. He's so insignificant.

Just let me be. The arguement is over and I refuse to take part of it. Also I may be wrong about who is Toriyama's least favorite characters and that is just because everything else is nothing what Toriyama ever said or confirmed it was just me guessing. Unfortunately you are not interested in the topic[spoiler]Evidence by the fact you continously ignore my explanations and the topic's intro description and you have a long history of trying to make people look bad or try to make a forum about a animated show less enjoyable by always complaining or criticizing about how people don't think like you.[/spoiler] itself and you just came in to belittle me because I do not share the same mindset of yours and it does not help that you refuse to ignore my topic or my earlier attempt to end the arguement. Just please leave me alone. Being judgemental on how other people think is just not acceptable. Let's mutually agree to end this conversation.
I didn't belittle you in any way. How have I belittled you? I do find this topic interesting, but like I said, it feels less like a lot of people are just naming characters who got very little focus. I wasn't aware you were trying to end the discussion. I thought you were simply responding.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:While I do agree with you on the whole "Screentime and Power" fallacy I have to agree with the above post ABED. You, for some reason, have tried to undermine the whole topic at every turn,first you say its all conjecture. When told "Its all about conjecture", you say its all what we think, which is the whole point of a conjecture. Its about what we think, for better or worse and you need to accept that.
I understand conjecture and I can accept that, but from my vantage point, I'm not seeing who you guys think Toriyama's least favorite character is.
Last edited by ABED on Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:28 am

I know its not a big deal but you havent adressed my post...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:33 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:I know its not a big deal but you havent adressed my post...
I did, I just didn't finish changing my previous post.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:48 am

But...they are saying it outright. Faulty logic or not, you cant say they havent said so.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:06 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:But...they are saying it outright. Faulty logic or not, you cant say they havent said so.
Wouldn't help more if they tried to find first hand quotes to this issue?

And someone said a character is treated disrespectfully. How can you a writer treat a character with disrespect?

And then I'm accused of being judgmental about how other people think, but that's how a debate works. I make a point, someone else makes a point and if you see it as a faulty argument, it's not disrespectful to point out the error.

Perhaps I can try to be less abrasive, but I don't want to have to wear kid gloves for fear of someone taking it the wrong way.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:10 am

Oh ok. I agree. I did point out the flaws in your argument. But I see that you are right.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:15 am

Has anyone seen anything that Toriyama has said that could be applicable here beside the Vegeta comment? It's not uncommon for writers to look back on their work and say they missed the mark.

And I am legitimately curious how a writer can disrespect a character.
Oh ok. I agree. I did point out the flaws in your argument.
Fair enough.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:17 am

I'm glad you understood.