"GT = Goku Time" is an exaggeration.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: "GT = Goku Time" is an exaggeration.

Post by Xeogran » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:13 pm

sintzu wrote:
DestructoDisc wrote:GT and its characters are just very overhated in my honest opinion.
I used to say that a lot but I can't anymore as I've tried to re-watch it twice but couldn't finish it so if anything it's not hated enough.
So just because of your opinion, it's not "hated enough"? Seriously, what kind of satisfaction does a person get out of reading more "omg this sucks" comments.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:28 pm

I think GT's reputation is just about right. There are moments and even characters that I don't think get enough love, but by and large, it's reputation of being a boring attempt to continue to milk the franchise but with a great ending is well deserved. However, of the reasons to dislike the show, Goku almost all the focus is very low on the list.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:39 pm

Xeogran wrote:
sintzu wrote:
DestructoDisc wrote:GT and its characters are just very overhated in my honest opinion.
I used to say that a lot but I can't anymore as I've tried to re-watch it twice but couldn't finish it so if anything it's not hated enough.
So just because of your opinion, it's not "hated enough"? Seriously, what kind of satisfaction does a person get out of reading more "omg this sucks" comments.
Yes, in his opinion, it's not hated enough. I don't know where this internet thing came in where stating your opinion with 100% honesty and straight-fowardness upsets people.

Also, the "GT sucks" comments are starting to get drowned out by the "GT doesn't suck, you're all wrong" comments so it's pretty even I'd say.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:11 pm

Xeogran wrote:What kind of satisfaction does a person get out of reading more "omg this sucks" comments ?
I just think the reputation it has is fair as it's simply not a good show. If you and others like it then that's great, more power to you, but I gave it 2 chances and it didn't work for me. I do hope some of its basic ideas like Ssj4 will be reused by Toriyama in a better way like Broly currently is.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:35 pm

sintzu wrote:
Lol there is absolutly no reason to hate or even care about GT in 2018 if you „hate“ it no problem just ignore it ...it’s not part of the Main Continuity You don’t have to deal with GT ...I hate Super i Don’t like this show but I don’t try to take people’s enjoyment with Comments like „Super sucks“ bla bla & also ..I have to deal with Super it’s the Future of Modern DB it counts i have to deal with all the recolours and crap designs it’s not a „Grand Side Story“
GT Fighter

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:40 pm

DestructoDisc wrote:GT and its characters are just very overhated in my honest opinion. I didn't think it was as bad as some people make it out to be. Yeah first saga was boring and the last saga wasn't very good, but it was fun seeing Pan and Goku interact more with eachother. I liked the Baby and Super 17 sagas a lot, and I never understood why so many people hated them.
GT isn’t even that hated anymore
GT Fighter

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:02 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:
DestructoDisc wrote:GT and its characters are just very overhated in my honest opinion. I didn't think it was as bad as some people make it out to be. Yeah first saga was boring and the last saga wasn't very good, but it was fun seeing Pan and Goku interact more with eachother. I liked the Baby and Super 17 sagas a lot, and I never understood why so many people hated them.
It effing is!!

Kanzenshuu is a bit kinder to it, but America's hate boner for GT remains strong as ever. And of course, with Funi pushing their version as the primary version for the DVDs in the UK and Canada, and with internet "this thing sux and u suk if u like it" culture, the irrational hate for GT is spreading further, if anything.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:37 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:
It effing is!!

Kanzenshuu is a bit kinder to it, but America's hate boner for GT remains strong as ever. And of course, with Funi pushing their version as the primary version for the DVDs in the UK and Canada, and with internet "this thing sux and u suk if u like it" culture, the irrational hate for GT is spreading further, if anything.
But not THAT much like back in 2009
GT Fighter

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:43 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:
It effing is!!

But not THAT much like back in 2009
Eh, it was just more obviously on the surface back then. It's still here, people just have other stuff to talk about like Super now, so the old stand-by of defaulting to bashing GT and hating on anyone who likes it isn't as necessary anymore. Try comparing GT and Super in any online discussion, and I guarantee you it will almost immediately transform into a "gt sux" circlejerk. Even Kanzenshuu isn't totally immune to this.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:00 am

GT isn't anymore Goku centric to me than the Pre-Raditz stuff. I think the perception comes from people not experiencing that material a lot, the perception that DB is an ensemble story because Toriyama kept rehashing the story beat of removing Goku from the story and the fact everyone by the time of GT has moved on.

That last part is especially important and yet very few stop to consider it, where is everyone when we start the series? Trunks and Goten don't train or care about fighting, neither does Gohan, Piccolo and the Earthlings retired a ways back even during Toriyama's stories, Vegeta has lost his bitchy inferiority complex and has become fully domesticated, even Goku has a sort of resigned attitude to everything that's happening around him. In short, this is a world that's moved one and will continue to do so as we lose Piccolo, the DBs, Majin Boo, Goku (sort of).

This doesn't entirely excuse the series, Oob really should be one of if not THE most proactive people leading the charge when these threats show up.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:25 am

sintzu wrote:
Xeogran wrote:What kind of satisfaction does a person get out of reading more "omg this sucks" comments ?
I just think the reputation it has is fair as it's simply not a good show. If you and others like it then that's great, more power to you, but I gave it 2 chances and it didn't work for me. I do hope some of its basic ideas like Ssj4 will be reused by Toriyama in a better way like Broly currently is.
Seriously, the only truly noteworthy things about GT are SSJ4, the Baby storyline and the concept of Evil Dragons. Everything else was either "meh" or just bad.

Its like these people only heavily stan and defend GT nowadays just because they don't like DBS. Most of those folks weren't doing that before 2015.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:27 am

Robo4900 wrote:Try comparing GT and Super in any online discussion, and I guarantee you it will almost immediately transform into a "gt sux" circlejerk. Even Kanzenshuu isn't totally immune to this.
To be fair there is just as much "dbs sucks" comments lol

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:33 pm

People just like to exaggerate. If anything it's Goku/Pan/Trunks show.
It's the same thing with Super. Some people just say its Goku/Vegeta show, when it would make more sense to say it's Goku/Vegeta/Bulma/Beerus/Whis show.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:03 pm

Most of the main cast, by the time GT rolled along, had pretty much given on fighting. But Goku didn't stop training and was always eager for a new challenge, Pan already displayed a keen interest in martial arts and Trunks was brought along on for the escapades originally because he wanted the escape the boredom of a corporate lifestyle.

I think the only times when the complaint of Goku hogging all the glory and making everyone look like scrubs in comparison -- which is what I'm assuming the notion behind "Goku Time" is -- was in Episode 45 and the beginning portion of the Evil Dragons arc.

And Oob got fucked over HARD. Yeah, he had that small but pivotal role in the Baby arc, but he should have given much more to do in the show. He should have been travelling in space with Goku, Pan and Trunks. His overall treatment in GT is made even more egregious considering he was the person Goku had handpicked to be his sparring partner and literal successor. I mean, Goku abandoned his family and friends because he was that invested in that kid. And he's not even a footnote in the show.

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:15 pm

If GT is Goku time then what is Super :lolno: hes even there when its absolutely irrelevant.

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:20 pm

Black Star Arc: They were a TRIO

Baby Arc:almost everyone had a Fight:
-Baby Vs Goten
-Gohan Vs Baby Goten
-Baby Gohan Vs Vegeta
-Oob Vs Baby Vegeta

and Even in the end Goku won with help of Gohan,Goten,Trunks,Pan,&OOB

Super 17 Arc: Goku Time (but with C 18 assist)

SD Arc: First Half: Goku&Pan. Second Half: Goku,Vegeta&Nuova Shenron

Goku defeated Omega with help of the whole UNIVERSE.
GT Fighter

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:35 pm

nosferatu wrote:If GT is Goku time then what is Super :lolno: hes even there when its absolutely irrelevant.
can you explain it more exactly? because I forgot a lot about Super
GT Fighter

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:51 pm

GT_Goten10 wrote:
nosferatu wrote:If GT is Goku time then what is Super :lolno: hes even there when its absolutely irrelevant.
Well...

Goten and Trunks fight Copy-Vegeta
Goku appear and destroys him

Krillin trains with #18
Goku appear and trash them

And this happens with everyone who was training for tournament. Buu, Roshi, Tien, Gohan.
Stupid Goku had to display his power everytime.

I'm still amazed he didn't appear to fight Watagash.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

nosferatu
Banned

Post by nosferatu » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:59 pm

super is so bad :lolno:

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:00 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:
GT_Goten10 wrote:
Well...

Goten and Trunks fight Copy-Vegeta
Goku appear and destroys him

Krillin trains with #18
Goku appear and trash them

And this happens with everyone who was training for tournament. Buu, Roshi, Tien, Gohan.
Stupid Goku had to display his power everytime.

I'm still amazed he didn't appear to fight Watagash.
Honestly I don’t even have a big problem with that
GT Fighter