Does the Garlic Jr. arc still get lots of hate?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Re: Is Garlic Jr. Saga still get lots of hate?

Post by Waluigiman » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:24 am

Majin Jator wrote:The main problem with the Garlick saga is that it is the continuation of a movie that didn't fit continuity to begin with.
The first time I watched it I didn't know about the movie and it was frigging confusing.

By itself, it wasn't very good but it was nice to have a menace defeated without Goku & Vegeta. Heck, that's the reason I like Movie 11.
This. This should happen more often, also the Garlick saga would had been better if they retconned Garlick and made him not reckognize Gohan nor any of the characters not named Kami or Piccolo. Also it would had been nice if the anime gave Gohan's dragon friend a proper introduction.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Does the Garlic Jr. arc still get lots of hate?

Post by Green_Goblin » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:05 pm

I liked the Garlic Jr. for many reasons and especially for what it was: A FILLER SAGA WHERE GOKU'S NOT AROUND AND THE Z-FIGHTERS HAVE TO FIGHT THE VILLAIN BY THEMSELVES! Only thing that is off was the timeline placement of movie one if this was originally the Z's timeline/continuity since all the minor inconsistencies from the "Dead Zone", who by comparison to the rest of the original DBZ Movies is pretty good and not a rehash of a villain idea from the anime.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:55 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:and the fight with Garlic Jr. dragged like a mofo which is strange because it had no manga to adapt.
The arc exists to prevent the anime from catching up to the manga. They probably dragged out the fight for that reason.

I've never really liked or disliked the Garlic. Jr arc. It's just kind of "there" to me.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:01 pm

It's not that odd. Plenty of stories drag regardless of whether they have to keep from getting ahead of the source material. Garlic is a villain best served in small doses. I'm talking bite size doses.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.