What's the Best Part of Dr. Slump

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EZsensei

What's the Best Part of Dr. Slump

Post by EZsensei » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi,

I'm looking to get one Dr. Slump volume because I really enjoy early Toriyama's art and comedy in all it's glory with it's adult humor, poop jokes, fourth wall breaking, and simple gags. This is primarily based on how much I enjoyed some of the crossovers and references to the series in Dragon Ball, and what little I know about the series. While I don't plan on reading all 18 volumes currently, I would really love to enjoy one without having too much knowledge of the series and hopefully enjoying it's wackiest part.
What is in your opinion the best part of Slump/or the wackiest hopefully easy to understand part? Again I'm probably only looking to get one volume.

Thanks,
Last edited by EZsensei on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Re: Best Part of Dr. Slump

Post by Jord » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:52 am

Good question. Do you plan on reading it in English or Japanese? I don't know if and how much the English translations are censored/altered though.

EZsensei

Post by EZsensei » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:19 am

Jord wrote:Good question. Do you plan on reading it in English or Japanese? I don't know if and how much the English translations are censored/altered though.
I don't know Japanese so English is my only option :P
I really hope it's not censored

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:49 am

EZsensei wrote:
Jord wrote:Good question. Do you plan on reading it in English or Japanese? I don't know if and how much the English translations are censored/altered though.
I don't know Japanese so English is my only option :P
I really hope it's not censored
The Viz translation of the Dr. Slump manga is considered a very good translation. I don't think there's really much/any censorship, but the translation itself is noteworthy for not being very close to the literal words of the original Japanese; apparently, the writing style of Dr. Slump is laden with wordplay, puns, etc., so the translators went a route of using equivalent writing in English, instead of using the literal original phrasings translated traditionally. So, as I understand it, it's considered a rather good localisation, since it apparently adapts the jokes into English very well, even if what you're reading isn't exactly the original dialogue word-for-word.

So... While I'm unsure about censorship, I'm pretty sure it's a good translation, so you'll be all good reading Dr. Slump in English.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Emiliow

Re: What's the Best Part of Dr. Slump

Post by Emiliow » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:54 pm

I´d say that volume 10 is a rather strong volume. It introduces a couple of new characters and it features a multi chapter story about these characters in a tournament-style setting, so a fairly well-known setting for Dragon Ball fans. Regardless, it's a great series and the entire thing is really enjoyable. :)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:00 pm

Robo4900 wrote:The Viz translation of the Dr. Slump manga is considered a very good translation. I don't think there's really much/any censorship, but the translation itself is noteworthy for not being very close to the literal words of the original Japanese; apparently, the writing style of Dr. Slump is laden with wordplay, puns, etc., so the translators went a route of using equivalent writing in English, instead of using the literal original phrasings translated traditionally. So, as I understand it, it's considered a rather good localisation, since it apparently adapts the jokes into English very well, even if what you're reading isn't exactly the original dialogue word-for-word.

So... While I'm unsure about censorship, I'm pretty sure it's a good translation, so you'll be all good reading Dr. Slump in English.
That's an excellent point. I've seen shows and movies with foreign subs, and while the translators always tried to make their subs as accurate and truthful, it never was.

Knight Rider had episode titles with wordplays and that didn't go too well in other languages as it meant something entirely different.

Still, if someone doesn't know said language the best remains to be subtitles. Otherwise, dubs. Or.. learn the language but learning just for the sake of watching shows or movies is kind of a waste.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:51 pm

There is some censorship which Viz mentions in the beginning of their volumes, with references to underage smoking and drinking. So Taro doesn't have cigs lit, and Akane is mentioned drinking "Super Punch". Another thing is [spoiler]Arale has her body destroyed and her head is on Obatchaman's, they discover Dr. Masharito made Obatchaman anatomically correct. The Viz version put a black censor bar over his junk, though they don't censor babies like Turbo or when Senbei gets turned into a baby. Likely due to being older, and it looking weird with Arale having junk.[/spoiler]Other than that, not too much from what I could tell.

EZsensei

Post by EZsensei » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:50 am

Emiliow wrote:I´d say that volume 10 is a rather strong volume. It introduces a couple of new characters and it features a multi chapter story about these characters in a tournament-style setting, so a fairly well-known setting for Dragon Ball fans. Regardless, it's a great series and the entire thing is really enjoyable. :)
That sounds great, thanks! i'll check it out. I'm open to other suggestions though, so as long as it includes wacky, fun, fourth wall breaking comedy like the first arc of dragon ball with pilaf, I think that's especially what i'm looking for.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:50 pm

If you know French, you could get the series on DVD or Blu-ray as it's been released in France. Not sure if in its entirety.

Dr. Slump Classic series was also released in Spain but canceled after the 4th volume for the sales being absolutely terrible (each DVD set was about €40 ~ $46).