Sparking! NEO (Tenkaichi 2) had the best game trailer ever

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Sparking! NEO (Tenkaichi 2) had the best game trailer ever

Post by Noah » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:02 pm

It was late September 2006, I had little access to the internet on that time and had finished watching the TV series on 2003. Still having trouble to overcome the feelings of the series being over, so what it had to do was to search for news, watch AMVs and look for new game releases.
Didn't had a PS2 yet, so I've never played any of the Budokai games before, but I always searched for this content, until some day I saw this video:

At first it was a bit strange cause it was all on japanese and I was always used to the dub, but watching this 10 minute lenght trailer showing all the iconic moments of the franchise from the Saiyan to the Majin Boo arc, movies, specials, GT and a little of DB, I was overwhelmed!

I can say that I got used to the voices after watching this a more couple of times. Though one year later I bought the game and saw it wasn't all what I expected, I never forgot how it marked me.

It was this trailer who triggered my desire to watch the whole series again, but in japanese, that I've finished months after the very announcement of Battle of Gods (2013).

It's not a discussion about quality as there tons of games better than Tenkaichi 2, but I can say the only trailer that came close to give chills to my spine was Burst Limit.

I know people on these days are worn out of the old formula of having a DB game with a extensive story mode from Raditz to Boo, but sometimes I miss these, even though nowadays we have good new content like in XENOVERSE series and FighterZ, e.g.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: Sparking! NEO (Tenkaichi 2) had the best game trailer ever

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:26 pm

Having just skimmed through the whole thing, it is entirely true that the game sells itself on "Oh God, it has effectively everything!". But I noticed that in all of 10 minutes not once did someone do anything as simple as a step-in combo, a combo ender/extension, or an offensive teleport (melee -> teleport to reset your character -> more melee)- none of the things that actually made T2 a more enjoyable and responsive game. Anyone that actually burned out on the original Sparking/Tenkaichi for being so bad- as I was- would see nothing in there to convince them to buy it! The first game had movie characters beyond Cooler and Broly too, so so what? I know Super and FighterZ are basically the only Dragon Ball games advertised on how they play but holy cow, 10 minutes of game and no game!
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:10 pm

'Best game trailer ever' that's a bit of a stretch.

My favorite Dragon Ball video game trailer has to be Burst Limit #1 Trailer (w/o narrator), everything just felt so right and it played out like a trailer for a playable Dragon Ball series than just a video game. Then, in second place; Raging Blast #1 Trailer. The RB trailer started out so peacefully in a first person view, the theme song in the background and then they showed gameplay footage and CGI animation which really looked wonderful.

I'd not have minded an animated series of Dragon Ball with the CGI shown in RB's trailer.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:36 pm

The massive roster turned me on to this game even though I had played BT1 to death (and was pretty sick of it). BT3 was even wilder - you mean I can pit Tambourine against the woman Saiyan from the Bardock special?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:28 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Having just skimmed through the whole thing, it is entirely true that the game sells itself on "Oh God, it has effectively everything!". But I noticed that in all of 10 minutes not once did someone do anything as simple as a step-in combo, a combo ender/extension, or an offensive teleport (melee -> teleport to reset your character -> more melee)- none of the things that actually made T2 a more enjoyable and responsive game. Anyone that actually burned out on the original Sparking/Tenkaichi for being so bad- as I was- would see nothing in there to convince them to buy it! The first game had movie characters beyond Cooler and Broly too, so so what? I know Super and FighterZ are basically the only Dragon Ball games advertised on how they play but holy cow, 10 minutes of game and no game!
Probably this wouldn't convince you now, but I how about 12 years ago? This trailer was not really gameplay based but yes on the story mode! (That to this day is one of the biggests trumphs of this game) The hype was all about having these bunch of characters and almost everything from the series up to that point. Try to look as a kid that only played a few DBZ games before trying this as a mature I could agree that nowadays it doesn't show much.
JohnnyCashKami wrote:My favorite Dragon Ball video game trailer has to be Burst Limit #1 Trailer (w/o narrator), everything just felt so right and it played out like a trailer for a playable Dragon Ball series than just a video game. Then, in second place; Raging Blast #1 Trailer. The RB trailer started out so peacefully in a first person view, the theme song in the background and then they showed gameplay footage and CGI animation which really looked wonderful.

I'd not have minded an animated series of Dragon Ball with the CGI shown in RB's trailer.
Yeah, I really liked Burst Limit trailer, but I still think Tenkaichi 2 is somewhat superior seeing from the point of Goku narrating all the story events presents on the game, epic moments/quotes that made me appreciate the original voices. The only thing that I would change it would be the background music, they used the american soundtrack, using the remixed Kikuchi score present on the same game would make this trailer perfect IMO.

I also liked Raging Blast trailer and it's original song made everything awesome, gosh I miss Kageyama.
TheBigBoy wrote:The massive roster turned me on to this game even though I had played BT1 to death (and was pretty sick of it). BT3 was even wilder - you mean I can pit Tambourine against the woman Saiyan from the Bardock special?
Or even better: have Cyborg Tao to face Babidi! :lol:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:28 pm

Noah wrote:Probably this wouldn't convince you now, but I how about 12 years ago? This trailer was not really gameplay based but yes on the story mode! (That to this day is one of the biggest triumphs of this game) The hype was all about having these bunch of characters and almost everything from the series up to that point. Try to look as a kid that only played a few DBZ games before trying this as a mature I could agree that nowadays it doesn't show much.
If you weren't talking to someone who all but never bought multiple iterations of home console Dragon Ball games even as a young teen, you might have been on to something (I've never owned Budokai 3. Weird). The Wii version was what ultimately let Tenkaichi 2 slip by- and I'm glad it did. That story mode is indeed an impossible dream.
Noah wrote:Or even better: have Cyborg Tao to face Babidi! :lol:
Nam versus... absolutely anyone else!
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:25 pm

The Dragon Ball part of the trailer was just Kid Goku getting beaten up lol

But yeah I have vague memories of watching trailers for this game as a kid and being hyped as hell, it was easily the most hype I was for a Dragon Ball game ever!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:49 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:hat story mode is indeed an impossible dream.
For sure, though sometimes you might get worn out about the loading screens, the R3 button on BT3 could be very useful to a more complete story mode.
The Monkey King wrote:The Dragon Ball part of the trailer was just Kid Goku getting beaten up lol
I though that was funny too, interesting to note how Nozawa changed her voice tone on this part and when Chala Head Chala was played again after Roshi's quote I was just :o
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:40 am

I always found these trailers for Budokai 3 to be pretty hype;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85NOKMt1Fao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWPH8bUpFVY