Shifting The Focus From Goku

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Shifting The Focus From Goku

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:28 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Dragon Ball is all about Goku so if you want a show that isn't about him, then Dragon Ball isn't for you.
That's bull. Goku may be the main character but the series was never just about him. It's a story with an ensemble cast.

Anyways, I would definitely welcome Goku taking a stand or something. His character is incredibly stale at this point and the only way to make him interesting is either have him surpass his limits for the uptenth time or get a new form.
It's is absolutely Goku's story. It's not really about everyone's journeys. They add value and are important, but it's not an ensemble series.

For those saying Goku's character is stale, why do you think switching in another character is either preferable to ending the story or freshening up Goku's character?
but protecting the planet and defending individuals/people are more pressing concerns in the series at this time
They actively put people in danger for the sake of a fight!
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:32 am

ABED wrote:Why is another character preferable to either ending the story or freshening up Goku's character?
I'm of the opinion that Goku's story had already ended before he was freshened up. GT and Super did it, respectively, so another character is welcome.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:18 am

Desassina wrote:
ABED wrote:Why is another character preferable to either ending the story or freshening up Goku's character?
I'm of the opinion that Goku's story had already ended before he was freshened up. GT and Super did it, respectively, so another character is welcome.
So if Goku's story is finished, why keep DB going?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:20 am

Because Dragon Ball is only arbitrarily Goku's one and only story. Have you read my suggestion in the previous page? It's Goku except that he's not.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:22 am

Desassina wrote:Because Dragon Ball is only arbitrarily Goku's one and only story.
I don't know what this means.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:25 am

If you don't understand, then take the time to learn what it means, otherwise do not try to get the last word on a dismissing basis. As usual, ABED...

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:29 am

Desassina wrote:If you don't understand, then take the time to learn what it means, otherwise do not try to get the last word on a dismissing basis. As usual, ABED...
That's why I'm asking you. I don't know what you mean by DB is arbitrarily Goku's one and only story.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:34 am

Do you know what arbitrary means? It is to be without reason, but on personal whim, because even Toriyama felt that he needed to change the story back into it being Goku's, which means that at one point he considered him not the main character, although a recurring one in the events that followed that moment.

Still, even when Dragon Ball's story was finished, and it was given a side ending in GT, the franchise continued and reached a new status quo, so wait until Broly's movie is over and do not oppose any new idea for the sake of it. This will be the last of me in this thread. You have a recurring trait that you have been warned about.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:10 am

That's not without reason. He didn't think the story worked without him as the lead. I have no idea what the new Broly movie has to do with this or how I oppose things for the sake of it. I have my reasons for disliking shifting focus from the main character after a long run just as I have reasons for keeping the story going forever. I've seen both things happen too often and reached the conclusion that neither is good for their stories. Both innevitably lead to the story jumping the shark.

A few brief one offs without Goku doesn't mean the story works without him. The GT special was 45 minutes and I could not take much more than that if Goku Jr. was the lead. That's not a status quo, it's an extended coda/epilogue.

I didn't understand your point and for some reason you got upset. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:51 pm

Goku is alright but sharing the spotlight (besides Vegeta)wouldn't hurt no one. Dragon Ball Super seems to be trying to do this (revival of F and Tournament of Power) but at the same time is not doing it.(supporting characters too far behind/weak/ what you want to call this) This is probably why I enjoyed watching Goku teaming up with Frieza and 17 because this was the best fight in Dragon Ball Super if not the whole series.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:40 pm

Waluigiman wrote: This is probably why I enjoyed watching Goku teaming up with Frieza and 17 because this was the best fight in Dragon Ball Super if not the whole series.
Best fight in super? Yeah I can see that. Best fight in the series? Not even close. There are much, much better and more impactful fights in the series. Such as Goku vs Vegeta, SSJ 2 Gohan Vs Cell, Vegito vs Buu, SSJ Goku vs Frieza, Piccolo Vs 17. The list goes on. This is a cool fight and all , but not the best in the series.

Majin Jator
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Jator » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:56 pm

I would love to see OVA's and mini-arcs focused on other members of the cast. I can't care less for Uub or any other newcomer, thou, and highly doubt something like that could work, even if Toriyama at his prime was the one at the helm. Which he won't.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:13 am

ABED wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Dragon Ball is all about Goku so if you want a show that isn't about him, then Dragon Ball isn't for you.
That's bull. Goku may be the main character but the series was never just about him. It's a story with an ensemble cast.

Anyways, I would definitely welcome Goku taking a stand or something. His character is incredibly stale at this point and the only way to make him interesting is either have him surpass his limits for the uptenth time or get a new form.
It's is absolutely Goku's story. It's not really about everyone's journeys. They add value and are important, but it's not an ensemble series.

For those saying Goku's character is stale, why do you think switching in another character is either preferable to ending the story or freshening up Goku's character?
I'd argue Goku's story ended when he first became Super Saiyan and defeated Freeza. Beyond that point there was no way of progressing his character any further because he's already proven himself as the world's strongest by the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai and we learn of his origins then see him come to embrace it and avenge his ancestors. It's about time he step down and let other characters have the spotlight.

Goku's character nowadays is either just battle-crazy or being a total jackass. Not exactly someone you wanna root for.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:03 am

I'd argue Goku's story ended when he first became Super Saiyan and defeated Freeza. Beyond that point there was no way of progressing his character any further because he's already proven himself as the world's strongest by the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai and we learn of his origins then see him come to embrace it and avenge his ancestors. It's about time he step down and let other characters have the spotlight.

Goku's character nowadays is either just battle-crazy or being a total jackass. Not exactly someone you wanna root for.
Goku's under no obligation to pass the torch. He keeps getting stronger. The reason Muten Roshi stepped down is because his age and the next generation had finally arrived and had taken his place. He could happily retire. Even though Goku wins the TB, he's never the strongest. He's constantly finding stronger enemies and mountains to climb.

Goku's always been battle crazy. It makes him different and interesting than most protagonists. My issue is why do you think that putting someone else in the spotlight is preferable to ending things? What will putting someone else in the drivers seat fix?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:39 am

ABED wrote: Goku's always been battle crazy. It makes him different and interesting than most protagonists. My issue is why do you think that putting someone else in the spotlight is preferable to ending things? What will putting someone else in the drivers seat fix?
It was different and interesting when the series was new but now characters like Goku are like a dime-a-dozen in Shonen (and I believe even with American comics) only many of them (like Naruto Uzumaki and Yusuke Uramashi) actually grow out of this phase by the end of their stories while Goku just gets worse with time.

Moving Goku from the spotlight allows for other characters to grow particularly ones with unfinished character arcs.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:02 pm

But Goku still stands out in large part because so many of those types copied him. And so what if Goku gets worse as long as it's interesting?
Moving Goku from the spotlight allows for other characters to grow particularly ones with unfinished character arcs.
Such as? Even with a character in the drivers seat, that doesn't preclude supporting characters from getting focus or having fully realized arcs. If the story needs a change of main character in order to facilitate the arc of another, chances are the characters aren't that good to begin with.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:44 am

Waluigiman wrote:Goku is alright but sharing the spotlight (besides Vegeta)wouldn't hurt no one. Dragon Ball Super seems to be trying to do this (revival of F and Tournament of Power) but at the same time is not doing it.(supporting characters too far behind/weak/ what you want to call this) This is probably why I enjoyed watching Goku teaming up with Frieza and 17 because this was the best fight in Dragon Ball Super if not the whole series.
You do know that making previously weak characters instantly strong is what people criticized Super for right? Just let the weak characters retire honestly, no reason to keep Tenshinhan, Krillin, Roshi, Piccolo around as fighters anymore

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:57 am

DB has a lot of lore and story telling, even though I’d argue its not focused on Goku but the Saiyan race. Especially now. If you have a good enough lore with a different main character people would watch though I doubt it’d be Uub.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:27 am

ABED wrote:So if Goku's story is finished, why keep DB going?
Because the people who own it don't want to end it, how is this a question? If DB must continue, then a static, stale Goku constantly repeating the same mistakes and going through the same arc is to the series' detriment in terms of artistic merit.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:35 am

ABED wrote:And so what if Goku gets worse as long as it's interesting?
Thing is, it hasn't been interesting for a while. The closest time it got there was in the Tournament of Power where Goku purposefully tells Zeno, an omnicidal godchild of a tournament that puts several universes in-danger. Nobody cares because the writing makes up several excuses & contrivances very quickly to justify Goku's decision. Goku's essentially stuck in a place where his selfishness keeps on escalating but nobody wants to really admit it and thus they pussyfoot around the issue.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):