Funimation Dubbing: My Hero Academia vs Dragon Ball Franchise

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Funimation Dubbing: My Hero Academia vs Dragon Ball Franchise

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:28 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Aren’t most of Funimation’s post-Dragon Ball/Z/GT dubs considered good?
Varies from person-to-person.
Pretty much everyone agrees that Funi stepped up their game massively for Kai, but some -- such as myself, VegettoEX, and Danfun64 -- argue that their work on TFC left something to be desired, and the liberties they've taken with the TFC and Super scripts have been taking things too far. It wouldn't be a problem if it was just a slightly iffy added or changed line here or there, but it's consistently happening several times per episode, and it really pisses off us sub purists.

Plus, I don't think their recastings went far enough in Kai, and it's now kind of too late to fix that... Their cast did improve in Kai, and their new cast members since Kai began have been great choices(Especially the special guests like James Marsters and Brian Drummond), but there's a significant amount of legacy castings who've been kept who really aren't up to snuff in my view, such as Tenshinhan, Trunks, and Yamcha. And as many observed when Marsters was in Super, the really legitimately great actors/castings end up quite jarring in scenes where there are lesser castings/actors.

And even going back to Kai 1.0, the scripts often kept added lines and weird ways of rendering things from the old Funi Z dub, or getting lines wrong that often even the original Funi dub did get right, and often made other unnecessary adaptation changes. These aren't nearly enough to make the dub bad, but then you have some of the iffy castings that remain, and you have the added/changed lines, and you have some straight-up dubbing errors(The narrator in the final(?) episode of Kai 1.0 claims Kaio and Bubbles were revived using the Dragon Balls, which very notably isn't the case, and they left in a line that was apparently only supposed to be used in the edited dub), and then of course TFC was a pretty major step back, in terms of accuracy...
These factors all come together to mean that, while Kai onwards haven't been bad dubs, they're really only decent, and in fact the dubs have arguably slowly slid down in quality since Kai 1.0, with even Kai 1.0 itself ending worse than it started in some respects(Some Japanese terminology, particularly attack names, were properly romanised instead of using invented dub terms -- Makankosappo(Which, for the record, translates as Demonic Piercing Light Murder Gun) instead of Special Beam Cannon, for instance. This was dropped around the Namek arc).

One thing everyone is agreed on is that the Kai-onwards era of Dragon Ball dubbing is better, but whether better is good or not varies depending on how forgiving you are of the flaws in these dubs... Which usually means whether you're a dub-focused fan who goes with Kai based on the superior acting and alleged better accuracy, or if you're a sub-focused fan who's looking at the dubs with a strong knowledge of the original dialogue, spirit, and such of the Japanese version.

So, in my opinion, they're not good, just decent. But that is notable, since all Funimation's pre-Kai dubs were just different levels of crap, so it is nice that we finally have some serviceable dubs you can watch without hunting for TV rips of the Canadian dubs.

There is a slightly deeper level to this, though.
In '97, Pioneer sub-licensed the show from Funimation and did the famous uncut Ocean dubs of the first 3 Z movies, which are without a doubt the best dubbing work the franchise has received, so basically everything since then has had to live in the shadow of that. And these movies were produced under Funimation, using the cast that was -- at the time -- the only active English cast of Dragon Ball.

And even if we discount the movies, there's the AB Groupe/Ocean dubs of the series(Often referred to as the Canadian dubs), which used Funimation's scripts for Z and skipped 50 episodes, but DB and GT are an interesting case, as they were actually better dubs than Funi's. The scripts were better(GT's were originals done by Ocean, DB's were based off Funi's, but heavily corrected/rewritten), the censorship was handled better(Despite common belief, Funi's DB dub is actually quite censored, even uncut. Interestingly, Blue Water GT is actually uncut aside from a few shots of Goku's junk in episodes 8 and 15 that were either zoomed or cut), and while the cast does take time to get used to, since you're unlikely to be familiar with the Calgary-based Blue Water cast DB and GT used, if you stick with it and watch either of these dubs through, you really do warm to this cast, especially since it's a much larger casting pool, which means you don't get all the bad accents Funi's dub was loaded with that attempted to add variety to their rather small cast at the time, and generally overall you get a lot more natural fits...

And, of course, even if you do end up taking the perfectly valid position that you prefer the Funi cast, the far greater script accuracy can't be argued with, at least...

And honestly, script-wise, Blue Water's GT is arguably more accurate than Funi's Kai dub, so while the casting can be debated endlessly, it's a rather sorry state of affairs when Funi's first solid dub is arguably less accurate than the low-budget alternative dub of GT from 2003, which was Blue Water's first work on the Dragon Ball franchise, and they did it as one of their very first productions...

So, to cut a long story short: It's complicated, but the Kai onwards era of Funi's Dragon Ball dubs are decent at least.
WittyUsername wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:Not that I follow anime in general, but isn’t FUNimation’s dub of One Piece also held in high regard?
Pretty sure a lot of that is down to the fact it replaced the 4Kids dub, which... Well... Less said about that, the better...
From everything I’ve heard people say about it, it’s apparently a pretty strong dub that stays true to the original. Considering that it’s been around for 11 years, it seems difficult to believe that people would only praise it for not being the 4Kids dub.
You say that, but a lot of people still claim Funi's uncut dub of Z episodes 1-67 were a godsend because the original dub had been cut, and it's a pretty common piece of misinformation that the redub was a lot more accurate and such...

And given the massive amount of hype about Funi's dubs from Kai onwards, and the whole Escaflowne fiasco(Which I've been told boils down to: The original uncut dub had its reputation ruined by the TV cut that was aired, so Funimation rode that tide to produce a new dub that incorporated stuff from the sort of "Director's cut" of the series, which used their in-house cast and wasn't actually much more accurate than the original dub, and replaced the old cast with an in-house cast), I generally take praise for an uncut dub that's replacing a cut dub with a pinch of salt.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:43 pm

Also as of late there has been some dissent against the One Piece Funimation dub. They say the cast falls short of the Japanese version and that some lines have been mistranslated. But then again that's just weaboos talking.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:09 am

Robo4900 wrote: Pretty much everyone agrees that Funi stepped up their game massively for Kai, but some -- such as myself, VegettoEX, and Danfun64 -- argue that their work on TFC left something to be desired, and the liberties they've taken with the TFC and Super scripts have been taking things too far. It wouldn't be a problem if it was just a slightly iffy added or changed line here or there, but it's consistently happening several times per episode, and it really pisses off us sub purists.
My wording is poor. I meant Funimations general anime dubs after the Dragon Ball series that aren’t Kai and TFC and Super. Like Case Closed, One Piece, Fairy Tail etc

Plus, I don't think their recastings went far enough in Kai, and it's now kind of too late to fix that... Their cast did improve in Kai, and their new cast members since Kai began have been great choices(Especially the special guests like James Marsters and Brian Drummond), but there's a significant amount of legacy castings who've been kept who really aren't up to snuff in my view, such as Tenshinhan, Trunks, and Yamcha. And as many observed when Marsters was in Super, the really legitimately great actors/castings end up quite jarring in scenes where there are lesser castings/actors.
And I’m pretty sure the only reasons we didn’t suffer Nadolyny and Vollmer in Kai was because they retired/were unavailable and not because Funimation acknowledged they sucked.

We know for a fact they tried to keep Linda Young on for Kai (episode 1) but apparently she couldn’t keep up with the new ADR process or something

I just don’t think Funi is fully ready to get rid of all their bad decisions they made in the 90s. Even the Blood Rubies redub is apparently just recycled from the 95 Pilot Movie dub
And even going back to Kai 1.0, the scripts often kept added lines and weird ways of rendering things from the old Funi Z dub, or getting lines wrong that often even the original Funi dub did get right, and often made other unnecessary adaptation changes. These aren't nearly enough to make the dub bad, but then you have some of the iffy castings that remain, and you have the added/changed lines, and you have some straight-up dubbing errors(The narrator in the final(?) episode of Kai 1.0 claims Kaio and Bubbles were revived using the Dragon Balls, which very notably isn't the case, and they left in a line that was apparently only supposed to be used in the edited dub), and then of course TFC was a pretty major step back, in terms of accuracy...
These factors all come together to mean that, while Kai onwards haven't been bad dubs, they're really only decent, and in fact the dubs have arguably slowly slid down in quality since Kai 1.0, with even Kai 1.0 itself ending worse than it started in some respects(Some Japanese terminology, particularly attack names, were properly romanised instead of using invented dub terms -- Makankosappo(Which, for the record, translates as Demonic Piercing Light Murder Gun) instead of Special Beam Cannon, for instance. This was dropped around the Namek arc).
Yeah it’s unfortunate Funi is just set in their ways for a lot of things.
There is a slightly deeper level to this, though.
In '97, Pioneer sub-licensed the show from Funimation and did the famous uncut Ocean dubs of the first 3 Z movies, which are without a doubt the best dubbing work the franchise has received, so basically everything since then has had to live in the shadow of that. And these movies were produced under Funimation, using the cast that was -- at the time -- the only active English cast of Dragon Ball.
It helps having a talented cast like the Ocean Group + The Kikuchi score for the 3 movies. With Kai you still have some mediocre to awful casting plus the Yamamoto score which is good, if you can look past its stolen but not as good as the Kikuchi score and the later a horrendously poorly utilizied and half ass slapped on Kikuchi score.

And then TFC has that vanilla Sumitomo music.
, Funi's DB dub is actually quite censored, even uncut.
Well yeah more good ol Funimation laziness where they mostly just recycled their 1995 scripts (right down to Ian Corlett and Terry Klassen still getting credited as writers in the Toonami era dub). Not helping the dub is just rife with some bad jokes.

You say that, but a lot of people still claim Funi's uncut dub of Z episodes 1-67 were a godsend because the original dub had been cut, and it's a pretty common piece of misinformation that the redub was a lot more accurate and such...
The uncut redub was basically Funimation saying “What if we didn’t have to listen to Saban to begin w with?” Also fixing some of their own most egregious errors. Otherwise yeah its basically just the 1996 dub with the stuff that was removed put back in and it being okay to reference death. I honestly kind of hate it for pushing out the old FuniSabanOcean dub out of the collective subconscious of the average USA DBZ fan . To say nothing of their trying to “fix” their own third season but only doing it in the most half ass way possible that nothing was really fixed and in some ways worse than their original broadcast version.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:09 am

i dont really get the topic. like if u mean why is the mha dub gets so much care from funi, well from what i can tell (i dont watch anime or rly pay attention to it) mha is one of the biggest animes out there right now, of course funi is gonna treat it the best.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:19 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Also as of late there has been some dissent against the One Piece Funimation dub. They say the cast falls short of the Japanese version and that some lines have been mistranslated. But then again that's just weaboos talking.
People have got to stop being so anal about a 1:1 dub. If they want it as accurate as the original version, then watch the original version.

Dubs are bound to have changes whether it's because the sentences need to be restructured, the mouth flaps are longer/shorter or what have you.

Back in the 90's, dubs were almost entirely different from the source material and everyone was happy regardless of that.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:27 am

Robo4900 wrote: You say that, but a lot of people still claim Funi's uncut dub of Z episodes 1-67 were a godsend because the original dub had been cut, and it's a pretty common piece of misinformation that the redub was a lot more accurate and such...

And given the massive amount of hype about Funi's dubs from Kai onwards, and the whole Escaflowne fiasco(Which I've been told boils down to: The original uncut dub had its reputation ruined by the TV cut that was aired, so Funimation rode that tide to produce a new dub that incorporated stuff from the sort of "Director's cut" of the series, which used their in-house cast and wasn't actually much more accurate than the original dub, and replaced the old cast with an in-house cast), I generally take praise for an uncut dub that's replacing a cut dub with a pinch of salt.
I haven’t seen very many people praise the uncut redub of episodes 1-67 as some kind of masterpiece, especially not these days. Hell, even back in the day, the general response to the dub of those episodes among Japanese fans was pretty lukewarm. I have on the other hand, seen a lot of praise for the FUNimation dub of One Piece, which definitely didn’t seem to reuse the scripts from the 4Kids dub, and seems pretty competently made from what I can tell. Fans of the Japanese version of the show generally don’t seem to mind the FUNimation dub of OP, which is more than what could be said for the FUNimation dub of Z. Also, the FUNimation dub of OP began before the dub of Kai, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about in regards to some kind of “post-Kai” hype for it.

Of course, this is kind of getting off topic.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:43 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Also as of late there has been some dissent against the One Piece Funimation dub. They say the cast falls short of the Japanese version and that some lines have been mistranslated. But then again that's just weaboos talking.
People have got to stop being so anal about a 1:1 dub. If they want it as accurate as the original version, then watch the original version.

Dubs are bound to have changes whether it's because the sentences need to be restructured, the mouth flaps are longer/shorter or what have you.

Back in the 90's, dubs were almost entirely different from the source material and everyone was happy regardless of that.
Not everyone was happy with those dubs. If they were, then I don't think there would be a trend or push towards being closer to the source material.

No one's asking for it to be 1:1. We understand the differences and challenges in adapting a show from one language to another, but it's hardly an insurmountable obstacle. It's not a difficult ask that the dubs be close to the source material. What we're asking for is the stories be the stories, not someone's bastardization.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:14 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:And I’m pretty sure the only reasons we didn’t suffer Nadolyny and Vollmer in Kai was because they retired/were unavailable and not because Funimation acknowledged they sucked.

We know for a fact they tried to keep Linda Young on for Kai (episode 1) but apparently she couldn’t keep up with the new ADR process or something

I just don’t think Funi is fully ready to get rid of all their bad decisions they made in the 90s. Even the Blood Rubies redub is apparently just recycled from the 95 Pilot Movie dub
Yeah...

Though, funny you'd mention DB movie 1's redub... Thing about that movie is that as the dubs of that movie went on, they got less accurate. Harmony Gold's dub of that movie was actually a really solid dub, despite the fact it had some cuts to it.
The Funi/BLT/Ocean dub of DB movie 1 had its script based on HG's dub, but made various adjustments. The accuracy was still good, and the fact the original names were retained is a plus, though the replacement score is the main point against it(Not for the score itself, since Berring's was actually one of the better replacement scores, but the fact there was one), and of course the fact they inserted a segment from episode 1 of the series is weird as hell. In terms of script, this is still a surprisingly accurate dub, even if HG's is just a tad better.

And finally, the Funi redub was based on the BLT script. They seemingly tried to remove dialogue that was originally where dialogue wasn't in the Japanese, but with no real regard to if that removed anything said in the original script, important to the plot, or otherwise important to the flow of conversation... And with the misc. script changes along the lines of the typical later Funi movie dubs, it ends up being a dub that's only advantage over the previous two is the fact it's uncut and therefore can be put on the same DVD as the original Japanese version... It's outstripped in basically all other ways by the two prior dubs.
MasenkoHA wrote:It helps having a talented cast like the Ocean Group + The Kikuchi score for the 3 movies. With Kai you still have some mediocre to awful casting plus the Yamamoto score which is good, if you can look past its stolen but not as good as the Kikuchi score and the later a horrendously poorly utilizied and half ass slapped on Kikuchi score.

And then TFC has that vanilla Sumitomo music.
Heh. You can say that again.
TBH though, I find the Yamamoto score kind of hard to swallow these days; it was a perfectly fine score at the time, but with the plagiarism, I really can't listen to it anymore. And with the Kikuchi replacement being so haphazard... I'm really glad Ocean's Kai dub uses a replacement score, and that dub really can't arrive sooner... Hopefully Wow TV's launch is in April rather than the winter.
MasenkoHA wrote:Well yeah more good ol Funimation laziness where they mostly just recycled their 1995 scripts (right down to Ian Corlett and Terry Klassen still getting credited as writers in the Toonami era dub). Not helping the dub is just rife with some bad jokes.
Well, credit where credit is due, Corlett, Klassen, and co. actually did a really good job on the '95 scripts, such that the '95 dub is actually the most accurate dub of those 13 episodes. The only unfaithful material is what's censored, and even the censorship generally does a good job of keeping to the spirit of the original... The problem is Funi didn't fix any of the censorship, mistranslations, etc. for their dub, and then layered on their own adaptational changes with no regard for accuracy to the original dialogue or spirit of the Japanese, and of course when dubbing parts that weren't in the original '95 script, they often heavily censored the dialogue themselves.

Blue Water would later prove that reusing old scripts can be fine if you reference a direct translation and correct mistranslations and such. BW's dub is by no means perfect, but a lot of what Funi got wrong, BW corrected, especially in the handful of episodes where BW rewrote the scripts entirely from scratch. So reusing scripts can work... But Funi were lazy and stupid when they did it. :roll:
MasenkoHA wrote:The uncut redub was basically Funimation saying “What if we didn’t have to listen to Saban to begin w with?” Also fixing some of their own most egregious errors. Otherwise yeah its basically just the 1996 dub with the stuff that was removed put back in and it being okay to reference death. I honestly kind of hate it for pushing out the old FuniSabanOcean dub out of the collective subconscious of the average USA DBZ fan . To say nothing of their trying to “fix” their own third season but only doing it in the most half ass way possible that nothing was really fixed and in some ways worse than their original broadcast version.
I mean, they really didn't fix much. Some lines like the "Brilliant scientist" line were removed, but it's not like Funi didn't then add their own changes that arguably were even worse... And of course, "Double sunday!"...
UUE was a really terrible piece of dubbing, because it was the pretense of being a more accurate redub like Kai ended up being, but actually was just the old '96 dub, except with a worse score and actors who aren't hamming up the cheesy dialogue to make the whole thing the delightfully hammy, over-the-top thing it was written and released to be.
And, of course, it doesn't even slightly match up with the original dub of "Season 3", even with the awful partial redubbing on the later releases.
WittyUsername wrote:I haven’t seen very many people praise the uncut redub of episodes 1-67 as some kind of masterpiece, especially not these days. Hell, even back in the day, the general response to the dub of those episodes among Japanese fans was pretty lukewarm. I have on the other hand, seen a lot of praise for the FUNimation dub of One Piece, which definitely didn’t seem to reuse the scripts from the 4Kids dub, and seems pretty competently made from what I can tell. Fans of the Japanese version of the show generally don’t seem to mind the FUNimation dub of OP, which is more than what could be said for the FUNimation dub of Z. Also, the FUNimation dub of OP began before the dub of Kai, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about in regards to some kind of “post-Kai” hype for it.

Of course, this is kind of getting off topic.
This isn't about the Japanese-focused fans, though. Funimation have proven time and time again they don't care about the Japanese-focused fans, since they'll all still buy everything because their releases have subtitles, and everyone else will buy it all up anyway out of nostalgia and an ignorance towards the poor quality of these dubs.
I really don't know much about OP's dub, I'm only really familiar with Funi's dubbing work on Dragon Ball, but it would greatly surprise me if their work on other shows is any better.

As for the reception of the 1-67 redub... I guess we've had different experience with this, but again, it's not about the Japanese-focused fans, this is about the people who actually were Funi's intended audience for it back in '05.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:56 pm

Robo4900 wrote: This isn't about the Japanese-focused fans, though. Funimation have proven time and time again they don't care about the Japanese-focused fans, since they'll all still buy everything because their releases have subtitles, and everyone else will buy it all up anyway out of nostalgia and an ignorance towards the poor quality of these dubs.
I really don't know much about OP's dub, I'm only really familiar with Funi's dubbing work on Dragon Ball, but it would greatly surprise me if their work on other shows is any better.

As for the reception of the 1-67 redub... I guess we've had different experience with this, but again, it's not about the Japanese-focused fans, this is about the people who actually were Funi's intended audience for it back in '05.
The general consensus on FUNimation as a whole is that their dubbing greatly improved over time, and that after Barry Watson left the company, they were one of the most reliable dubbing companies out there. Their early Dragon Ball dubs have always been their black sheeps, whereas their dubs of shows like One Piece are considered significantly better. I’m honestly not really sure why you’re so keen on arguing about this, especially since you apparently aren’t familiar with their other dubs. Granted, I’m not super familiar with their other dubs either, but from what I’ve seen of their OP dub, and from what I know about that show as a whole, it’s much more faithful and more well made than their early DB dubs, and unlike what the UUE dub of DBZ did compared to the Saban dub, the FUNimation dub of OP doesn’t reuse the scripts from the 4Kids dub, and it doesn’t seem to be full of corny jokes that weren’t in the original.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:04 pm

WittyUsername wrote:The general consensus on FUNimation as a whole is that their dubbing greatly improved over time
"Better" does not mean "Good."
WittyUsername wrote:and that after Barry Watson left the company, they were one of the most reliable dubbing companies out there. Their early Dragon Ball dubs have always been their black sheeps, whereas their dubs of shows like One Piece are considered significantly better. I’m honestly not really sure why you’re so keen on arguing about this, especially since you apparently aren’t familiar with their other dubs. Granted, I’m not super familiar with their other dubs either, but from what I’ve seen of their OP dub, and from what I know about that show as a whole, it’s much more faithful and more well made than their early DB dubs, and unlike what the UUE dub of DBZ did compared to the Saban dub, the FUNimation dub of OP doesn’t reuse the scripts from the 4Kids dub, and it doesn’t seem to be full of corny jokes that weren’t in the original.
Perhaps their other dubs are better. Just like Dragon Ball dubs are... And yet their Dragon Ball dubs still constantly add and change stuff to an unreasonable degree, and still continue to use tons of really poor castings. So, unless someone is a hardcore OP fan who's very familiar with both the dub and sub, I wouldn't trust any positive summation.
Everyone gets so caught up in how much Funimation have improved since their pre-Kai work on Dragon Ball, it feels like no one wants to talk about how far they still have to go, so if the consensus sems to be "Their dubs of shows like One Piece are considered significantly better [than their older Dragon Ball dubs].", then all that tells me is that those other dubs are just as mediocre as their work on TFC and Super, and thus are not up to snuff, but because it used to be outright bad, everyone just accepts and praises this mess we're given.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:07 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:The general consensus on FUNimation as a whole is that their dubbing greatly improved over time
WittyUsername wrote:and that after Barry Watson left the company, they were one of the most reliable dubbing companies out there. Their early Dragon Ball dubs have always been their black sheeps, whereas their dubs of shows like One Piece are considered significantly better. I’m honestly not really sure why you’re so keen on arguing about this, especially since you apparently aren’t familiar with their other dubs. Granted, I’m not super familiar with their other dubs either, but from what I’ve seen of their OP dub, and from what I know about that show as a whole, it’s much more faithful and more well made than their early DB dubs, and unlike what the UUE dub of DBZ did compared to the Saban dub, the FUNimation dub of OP doesn’t reuse the scripts from the 4Kids dub, and it doesn’t seem to be full of corny jokes that weren’t in the original.
Perhaps their other dubs are better. Just like Dragon Ball dubs are... And yet their Dragon Ball dubs still constantly add and change stuff to an unreasonable degree, and still continue to use tons of really poor castings. So, unless someone is a hardcore OP fan who's very familiar with both the dub and sub, I wouldn't trust any positive summation.
Everyone gets so caught up in how much Funimation have improved in regards to Dragon Ball, it feels like no one wants to talk about how far they still have to go, so if the consensus sems to be "Their dubs of shows like One Piece are considered significantly better [than their older Dragon Ball dubs].", then all that tells me is that those other dubs are just as mediocre as their work on TFC and Super, and thus are not up to snuff, but because it used to be outright bad, everyone just accepts and praises this mess we're given.
Really, they are better than their dubs of Dragon Ball. Don't be like huzaifa_ahmed please, because all that guy did was ripping on Funimation for not casting union actors.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:08 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Really, they are better than their dubs of Dragon Ball.
(Sighs)
Robo4900 wrote:"Better" does not mean "Good."
8000 Saiyan wrote:Don't be like huzaifa_ahmed please, because all that guy did was ripping on Funimation for not casting union actors.
To be clear, I don't care about unions; Funimation have a great casting pool at their disposal, I just think their Dragon Ball dubs take poor advantage of this pool, and their scripting is iffy.
Maybe this isn't the case for their other dubs... I'm not sure. I generally don't trust Funimation dubs by default because of how much their scripting work on Dragon Ball has jaded me, so I just go for the subs. And really, since looking up who dubbed a show and figuring out if it's one of the good dubs like Death Note or Cowboy Bebop is a hassle, I generally just stick to being a sub purist snob for most anime. :lol:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:23 pm

Well, with DB the pool was small. Heck, think when DBZ and DB ended in 2003. Deku's voice actor would've been too young for old-timers like Kunzait to date back then. Also, while this may be my bias as I'm a big fan of hers, Monica Rial is awesome on MHA. And Eric Vale is really menacing as Shigaraki.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:06 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Everyone gets so caught up in how much Funimation have improved since their pre-Kai work on Dragon Ball, it feels like no one wants to talk about how far they still have to go, so if the consensus sems to be "Their dubs of shows like One Piece are considered significantly better [than their older Dragon Ball dubs].", then all that tells me is that those other dubs are just as mediocre as their work on TFC and Super, and thus are not up to snuff, but because it used to be outright bad, everyone just accepts and praises this mess we're given.
I never said that better means good. I’m saying that FUNimation is a much more well respected dubbing company than you’re giving them credit for, and that their dub of OP is generally considered to be one of their best. I don’t know why you’re trying to dispute that. It almost seems like you have some personal vendetta towards anything with FUNimation’s name on it. I get that they’ve done all kinds of stupid things, and that the season sets were terrible, but that doesn’t mean that everything they do is crap, and saying that people only like their dub of OP because it isn’t the 4Kids dub kind of seems like a straw man.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:31 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I generally don't trust Funimation dubs by default because of how much their scripting work on Dragon Ball has jaded me, so I just go for the subs. And really, since looking up who dubbed a show and figuring out if it's one of the good dubs like Death Note or Cowboy Bebop is a hassle, I generally just stick to being a sub purist snob for most anime. :lol:
I'm not sure I understand. If you say you mostly tend to go for the subs, then why are you so actively interested in demanding better quality dubs from FUNimation? Is it because you actually would prefer to watch English dubs over the original Japanese? Or maybe it's just the principle of the thing?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:25 pm

MyVisionity wrote:I'm not sure I understand. If you say you mostly tend to go for the subs, then why are you so actively interested in demanding better quality dubs from FUNimation? Is it because you actually would prefer to watch English dubs over the original Japanese? Or maybe it's just the principle of the thing?
It's a multi-faceted thing. It's just easier to watch something dubbed than subbed, and a lot of subtleties of a performance can't cross a language barrier. So, if a dub is really good like with Death Note or Cowboy Bebop, then that's great for me, since I can watch that dubbed and not have to worry about having to concentrate on subtitles.
But at the same time, even if I was 100% subs anyway, there is an element of "Come on guys, demand better! Don't roll over and take mediocrity!"
WittyUsername wrote:I never said that better means good. I’m saying that FUNimation is a much more well respected dubbing company than you’re giving them credit for, and that their dub of OP is generally considered to be one of their best. I don’t know why you’re trying to dispute that. It almost seems like you have some personal vendetta towards anything with FUNimation’s name on it. I get that they’ve done all kinds of stupid things, and that the season sets were terrible, but that doesn’t mean that everything they do is crap, and saying that people only like their dub of OP because it isn’t the 4Kids dub kind of seems like a straw man.
Their dub of OP is generally considered one of their best, yes. But their dub of Kai is also generally considered one of their best, and I have already laid out why I think it's not good enough. So, unless you have more than "it's better than dragon ball" and "i heard it's good", I don't trust it to be any better than their mediocre work on the modern DB dubs.

I don't have a vendetta towards Funi, however their scripting incompetence gives me little reason to trust their output without a strong assurance of its quality from someone with a keen eye and a strong familiarity with both the dub and the sub.
Funi's utterly stupid and awful blunders in home video have nothing to do with this; it's very obviously an entirely different group of people responsible for that, despite being under the same company. As I said before, I believe the acting side is good nowadays. I do take issue with some of their castings in Dragon Ball, but that's not a problem that would face a new dub production; my concerns with their modern dubbing lies with the scripts. Even with the best performances in the world, the scripting can let a dub down by a lot(See: Saban's Dragon Ball Z, 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh!...).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:46 pm

Could you pick a better example than Death Note? That's a series that exemplifies mediocrity. I'll take the Kai dub any day over that show. I suppose the acting is good, but the actual writing is boring.

Never seen MHA, but with the exception of Kai, the 3 ocean dub movies, and DBZ Movie 8, DB has been treated terribly. If it wasn't DBZ, the bizarre practices wouldn't be tolerated. It's a testament to DBZ's popularity that it found an audience and continues to have the longevity it does in the US.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:51 pm

Black Lagoon is a great example of a well-scripted dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:59 pm

ABED wrote:Could you pick a better example than Death Note? That's a series that exemplifies mediocrity. I'll take the Kai dub any day over that show. I suppose the acting is good, but the actual writing is boring.
Haha. To each their own, I suppose. I personally really enjoyed Death Note. Perhaps that's just my relatively small exposure to anime showing. :lol:
ABED wrote:Never seen MHA, but with the exception of Kai, the 3 ocean dub movies, and DBZ Movie 8, DB has been treated terribly. If it wasn't DBZ, the bizarre practices wouldn't be tolerated. It's a testament to DBZ's popularity that it found an audience and continues to have the longevity it does in the US.
I would argue Z movie 8 was also pretty terribly handled dub-wise, and add the caveat that by Kai, I would only really point to Kai 1.0. Otherwise, I totally agree.
8000 Saiyan wrote:Black Lagoon is a great example of a well-scripted dub.
I have heard that. Apparently it's the same crew as Death Note's dub(Which probably just means it's a Karl Willems Ocean dub done with a very accurate script and such), so... That show is on my list, and it's one I'll probably watch dubbed, but I have a lot on my plate these days, so... Might take me a while to get there.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:02 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Their dub of OP is generally considered one of their best, yes. But their dub of Kai is also generally considered one of their best, and I have already laid out why I think it's not good enough. So, unless you have more than "it's better than dragon ball" and "i heard it's good", I don't trust it to be any better than their mediocre work on the modern DB dubs.

I don't have a vendetta towards Funi, however their scripting incompetence gives me little reason to trust their output without a strong assurance of its quality from someone with a keen eye and a strong familiarity with both the dub and the sub.
Funi's utterly stupid and awful blunders in home video have nothing to do with this; it's very obviously an entirely different group of people responsible for that, despite being under the same company. As I said before, I believe the acting side is good nowadays. I do take issue with some of their castings in Dragon Ball, but that's not a problem that would face a new dub production; my concerns with their modern dubbing lies with the scripts. Even with the best performances in the world, the scripting can let a dub down by a lot(See: Saban's Dragon Ball Z, 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh!...).
Well, here’s a small sample of how their dub compares to the original (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5hln31n8GpU).

(As a side note, I don’t think the performances in the 4Kids dub of Yu-Gi-Oh are particularly good. There are honestly some pretty laughable performances in that dub, hence why Littlekuriboh was able to get so much mileage out of them. Characters in that dub don’t seem like they know what it means to speak in an indoor voice.)