Double Standards in the Dragonball fandom.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Double Standards in the Dragonball fandom.

Post by ricky84 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:15 pm

This thread is for folks who wish to point out and/or gripe about the numerous hypocritical views many fans have about certain characters, arcs and entire shows/movies in the franchise. Such as criticizing a character for doing something, yet praising another character for doing the same thing.

Any thoughts?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Double Standards in the Dragonball fandom.

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:43 am

I feel like this might fall under unpopular opinions.

Speaking of which: "Man I hate how predictable Dragon Ball is these days. No I won't even consider Gohan being the protagonist!"

or

"Funimation is sloppy and unprofessional for making Goku heroic. But when Toei or a foreign language studio does it, it's fine because I wasn't there"

or

"I'm gonna watch Dragon Ball from the start... with Raditz"

or

"I'm such a HUGE fan of EVERYTHING Dragon Ball. But only if it's DBZ."

or

"This anime from Japan is an American icon"

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:58 am

When I tell people I prefer to watch English dubs, I get the response "I hate English dubs! They ruin the show as it was meant to be seen, and the acting sucks! GRR!", followd by me saying "well, I agree...if it's bad like the Dragon Ball series' English dubs...", to which they reply: "WHAT!? That's the ONE good English dub!!, and then I never hear from them again. This has been my experience with every Dragon Ball fan I've ever met in person (at least five). One had even been a close friend for a decade...and I haven't heard from him since he found out that I don't love Funimation's dub. >_>
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:39 am

The problem with these kinds of discussions is that after a while they invariably devolve into complaining about complaining (which no-one wants to read) and making up hypothetical/theoretical individuals that have never actually said these hypocritical statements, instead assigning various viewpoints to a single, non-existent boogeyman.

Different people like different things for different reasons, these reasons may in fact change over the lifespan of something like a 30-odd-year-old franchise, and these reasons may not always align with what other people like for completely valid reasons.

Rather than worrying about what people may or may not have said to you, we recommend/ask that you invest time in enjoying what you enjoy, ignoring what you don't, and offering up thoughtful commentary regardless of your opinion.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::