Are FUNi's old movie singles always in 4:3?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Are FUNi's old movie singles always in 4:3?

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:47 pm

I'm trying to collect the movies in 4:3. So far, I have the Dragon Ball movie pack by FUNi, the 3 Uncut Pioneer releases of Z #1-3, then Lord Slug, Super Android 13, and Fusion Reborn.

But, I noticed at a used video store that they had Wrath of the Dragon. It's definitely the FUNi single, but the store's custom label has it listed as "WIDE" a.k.a. widescreen. Is this a thing? I was under the assumption all the FUNi movie singles were 4:3. Thanks for the help.

Kuwabara
Regular

Re: Are FUNi's old movie singles always in 4:3?

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:31 pm

The NA single release of Wrath of the Dragon is definitely 4:3.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Kuwabara wrote:The NA single release of Wrath of the Dragon is definitely 4:3.
Ok thanks, I just didn't know if around that time FUNi was releasing 4:3 and 16:9 versions of it. But I suppose if that were the case, then the DVD case itself would say "Widescreen" on it.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:25 pm

I have all 13 and yes, they are. This ain't some in 4x3 and others in 16x9.

Unfortunately, the PQ is very compressed so it doesn't look as good as it could have been.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:17 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:I have all 13 and yes, they are. This ain't some in 4x3 and others in 16x9.

Unfortunately, the PQ is very compressed so it doesn't look as good as it could have been.
Indeed, it is all in 4:3.

Picture quality is not as bad as you make it sound. :lol:
It's exactly what you would expect from a release that uses the Funi digibetas as their video base. Though I will point out that, for some reason, the single of the first Z movie looks outstanding.
The encoding is not all that great on the USA releases of the singles, I will grant you, but it's far from terrible.

Also worth noting: Sound quality on the Japanese track of Z movie 13 is better than any of Funi's other releases of that movie. I believe the same is true of DB movie 4.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Well thanks guys. I went through with buying movie 13 then and sure enough it's 4:3. Funny enough even the pictures on the back are in boxes that almost look like a widescreen aspect ratio. But anyway, good enough. I think I'm over halfway done getting these now, as I found Broly Triple Threat at that same store.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:56 am

Robo4900 wrote:Picture quality is not as bad as you make it sound. :lol:
Subjective.

To me, it's really compressed so while it's watchable it's not really good per say.
Robo4900 wrote:It's exactly what you would expect from a release that uses the Funi digibetas as their video base.
Isn't the DB Saga Sets from those famous FUNi Digibetas? That looks way better but it wasn't compressed anywhere near as much.
Robo4900 wrote:The encoding is not all that great on the USA releases of the singles.
You could just say US or American releases.
Robo4900 wrote:Also worth noting: Sound quality on the Japanese track of Z movie 13 is better than any of Funi's other releases of that movie. I believe the same is true of DB movie 4.
You're right about that.