Finally watched the four Dragon Ball films

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Finally watched the four Dragon Ball films

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:40 pm

KBABZ wrote:
ABED wrote:
KBABZ wrote: While I haven't seen it, I don't like how it combines the Tournament with the back half of the RRA arc. That comes off as distracting to the narrative to me.
That seems rather arbitrary. What was distracting about it? The way Path to Power jumps from moment to moment in the manga bugs me because it doesn't flow. It feels like they are checking moments off a list.
Won't disagree with you there. Much as I love the art style and music of that movie, the editing can be REALLY bad, like it's trying to squeeze a 1:30 plot into a 1:00 runtime.
I am still genuinely interested in what bothers you about what which arcs, or parts of, Movie 3 chose to combine?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:54 pm

ABED wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
ABED wrote: That seems rather arbitrary. What was distracting about it? The way Path to Power jumps from moment to moment in the manga bugs me because it doesn't flow. It feels like they are checking moments off a list.
Won't disagree with you there. Much as I love the art style and music of that movie, the editing can be REALLY bad, like it's trying to squeeze a 1:30 plot into a 1:00 runtime.
I am still genuinely interested in what bothers you about what which arcs, or parts of, Movie 3 chose to combine?
Well as I said I haven't seen the film so my opinion here is worth very little, but I personally always found it strange that MA decided to adapt both the 22nd TB arc AND elements from the end of the RRA Arc. On paper that sounds like you have to go from an arc about travelling placed to one that's set in a specific location, right?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:25 pm

It's not an adaptation of those arcs. It takes elements and characters from that arcs to tell short story. It feels the most like DB out of any of the first 4 DB movies.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:23 pm

ABED wrote:It's not an adaptation of those arcs. It takes elements and characters from that arcs to tell short story. It feels the most like DB out of any of the first 4 DB movies.
I would say it adapts (very loosely) the Tenshinhan arc with its own spin on it but takes elements from RRA (Blue, Korin, Tao Pei Pei, Penguin Village, Bora and Upa). It doesn’t really adapt the RRA arc the same way Path to Power did.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:27 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
ABED wrote:It's not an adaptation of those arcs. It takes elements and characters from that arcs to tell short story. It feels the most like DB out of any of the first 4 DB movies.
I would say it adapts (very loosely) the Tenshinhan arc with its own spin on it but takes elements from RRA (Blue, Korin, Tao Pei Pei, Penguin Village, Bora and Upa). It doesn’t really adapt the RRA arc the same way Path to Power did.
Fair point. Even though movie 4 is longer, it still bites off WAY too much and Frankenstein's together a movie, much in the way BvS does.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:01 am

ABED wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
Fair point. Even though movie 4 is longer, it still bites off WAY too much and Frankenstein's together a movie, much in the way BvS does.
What is BvS?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:51 am

ZodaEX wrote:
ABED wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote: I would say it adapts (very loosely) the Tenshinhan arc with its own spin on it but takes elements from RRA (Blue, Korin, Tao Pei Pei, Penguin Village, Bora and Upa). It doesn’t really adapt the RRA arc the same way Path to Power did.
What is BvS?
Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:08 am

KBABZ wrote:
ZodaEX wrote:
ABED wrote: Fair point. Even though movie 4 is longer, it still bites off WAY too much and Frankenstein's together a movie, much in the way BvS does.
What is BvS?
Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.
Ah okay, I never saw that but I did see the dedicated Superman movie that came before it.