Do you think Dragon Ball dub would have benefit from an English Recast?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Do you think Dragon Ball dub would have benefit from an English Recast?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:28 pm

Robo4900 wrote:You misunderstand. Blue Water's GT scripts were accurate, flowed rather nicely, etc. Funi's were utter crap.
Oh, sorry about that.
Lunatic Fringe wrote:Neither do I, quite frankly. It’s just not a performance that I think is really irreplaceable. Granted, there are only a few performances from the FUNi cast that I’d call “irreplaceable”, but Strait’s Kuririn, while good, isn’t good enough for me to be heartbroken if he were to be given a better actor behind the voice. It’s kinda like my thoughts on Sabat’s Vegeta; there’s no need to replace a solid performance, but a potential recast wouldn’t make me feel anxious.

And while I’m revisiting my last comment in here, I feel the need to add another name and role to the list; Eric Vale’s Trunks.
I'm mixed on Vale. When he started out, he was terrible (and so were most of the Funimation guys), but he had a very fitting voice for Trunks. His acting got a lot better as the years went by, but he decided to make his voice raspy in order to "save" his voice according to Fionordequester.

If he just used his natural voice, then I'd be perfectly content with him staying.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:50 pm

I've never understood how adding more rasp saves one's voice.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:10 pm

ABED wrote:I've never understood how adding more rasp saves one's voice.
A question to ask Stephanie Nadolny, Eric Vale, Chris Sabat, Tiffany Vollmer, and Linda Young for sure.

I just assume Texas was having a huge sale on cigarettes in the late 90s/early 2000s

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:57 am

Beats the hell out of me.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:53 am

Maybe it has something to do with the vocal folds nkt bring fully activated and thus not putting as much strain on them? On the other hand, rasp produces a lot more air, which would require some creative breathing techniques to sustain oneself during a session.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:45 am

Misha Collins who plays Castiel says he regrets giving his character a raspy voice as it hurts his throat. At the time he was cast, he didn't know how long the role would last and certainly didn't imagine it would last a decade.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:40 pm

ABED wrote:Misha Collins who plays Castiel says he regrets giving his character a raspy voice as it hurts his throat. At the time he was cast, he didn't know how long the role would last and certainly didn't imagine it would last a decade.
It depends on the voice, the person, the nature of the material, the actor's age, the kind of training the actor has received, etc.

Sometimes, a rasp is a more relaxed thing to do, other times it's a less relaxed thing to do. Naturally, in cases where it's more relaxed, it's easier on the voice to do it with a rasp.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.