Do you think Dragon Ball dub would have benefit from an English Recast?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Do you think Dragon Ball dub would have benefit from an English Recast?

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:14 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:Martial arts fantasy fables, Wuxia, whatever you want to call them...
I actually have a question on this because I tend to default to using "wuxia" for just about every martial arts/kung fu/Chinese-Taiwanese-Vietnamese-Mongolian-themed fantasy that isn't explicitly the shooting-chi-beams or flying-at-supersonic-speeds or punching-planets-away sort (which I default to calling xianxia even though I know that doesn't technically fit due to not including the Taoist requirement), but when would you actually make the distinction? Or is it like Arthurian/Tolkienesque fantasy in that even using one element (e.g. elves and dwarves) can get something labeled "fantasy" (such as Shadowrun or Warhammer)?

No lo se.

Anywho! I'm one of those freaks who thinks the entire series needs to be redone. The music is fine, the art is fine, and Nozawa is fine-if-aging (and it shows), but the animation quality tended to be lacking at times (Super just continued a long tradition) and some (read: all) filler could be knocked out entirely. The kabuki-theatre styled fights that have long pauses and dramatic posing can remain, and I don't want the post-Yo! Son Goku feel of the series to creep into the show (the complete lack of impact and weight, awful choreography, the restrained action, and the GODDAMN shaky cam, holy JESUS CHRIST I hate shaky cam). I know that Toriyama's art always had shininess, but Super is downright glossy and the characters look and feel like plastic toys with no dynamism (thanks to Yamamuro, who used to be absolutely fantastic). If Shintani and Takahashi dominated with a decent amount of time to work on it, it'd be great!

But realistically, yes. English Dragon Ball would definitely benefit from a recast. Hell, most anime dubs in general would benefit from a recast. Funimation was the dollar store of dubbing studios in the '90s, a time when even the best anime localization studio wasn't much better, and took a damn long time to learn from their mistakes. I still prefer listening over reading so I am a solid dubber, but it was pure chance that the '99-era voices were the lucky ones entirely because that's when Saban got their heads out of their asses and actually began airing the entire damn series. It could have been any studio's cast. In an alternate timeline, Peter Kelamis (aka, Rolf) would be America's Goku purely because he happened to be voicing him when Dragon Ball Z moved past episode 30 on American TV. And Shuki Levy would be the "classic" Dragon Ball Z dub composer. In another, Ian Corlett was the American Goku while Nathan Johnson was the nostalgic composer.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Yuli Ban wrote:
Kunzait_83 wrote:Martial arts fantasy fables, Wuxia, whatever you want to call them...
I actually have a question on this because I tend to default to using "wuxia" for just about every martial arts/kung fu/Chinese-Taiwanese-Vietnamese-Mongolian-themed fantasy that isn't explicitly the shooting-chi-beams or flying-at-supersonic-speeds or punching-planets-away sort (which I default to calling xianxia even though I know that doesn't technically fit due to not including the Taoist requirement), but when would you actually make the distinction? Or is it like Arthurian/Tolkienesque fantasy in that even using one element (e.g. elves and dwarves) can get something labeled "fantasy" (such as Shadowrun or Warhammer)?
This is a topic that's worthy of a whole thread on its own: but generally speaking, like most people I prefer to keep things nice and basic. Thus I subscribe to the general "umbrella term" principal: if its a martial arts narrative that has fantasy elements (namely of the Eastern/Buddhist/Taoistic sort: so I wouldn't count something like say, a remake of Enter the Dragon that just included Orcs in it for whatever reason*) then its Wuxia by definition.

*Note: that would be utterly batshit bonkers.

As you yourself noted, the same dividing genre lines that are used to distinguish Aurthurian/Tolkienian Western fantasy works from other, similar works line themselves up more or less identically with their Eastern equivalents.

If you have a martial arts narrative that's wholly grounded in non-fantasy-fied reality (like say, your typical Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan film) then it isn't Wuxia, despite falling within the broader martial arts genre. Despite this distinction though, there's still oftentimes some significant overlap between the two. On one hand, basic character archetypes and plot themes can be common to both grounded martial arts narratives AND Wuxia (such as the relationship between master and student, or many aspects of the central heroes' and villains' personalities, motivations, and philosophical outlooks, and so on), despite the dividing line of fantasy between them. And certainly, DB draws as much from many grounded, non-Wuxia martial arts narrative sources as it does fantasy/Wuxia ones.

Thus it can never be highlighted enough that the core storytelling themes and tropes of martial arts narratives are the real core here that binds many of these Eastern kung fu fiction sub-genres together into one broader package. If those core themes and narrative tropes, tied into martial arts and Eastern cultural traditions and philosophies, aren't present (self-improvement, training, personal growth, rivalries, lifelong commitment, honor and respect to one's teachers, a very counter-cultural eschewing of arbitrary social bonds in favor of one's own personal ideals, etc.), then this whole conversation becomes completely moot. Once that solid "martial arts narrative" foundation is present, then whether or not there is that extra layer of Eastern/Taoistic fantasy present becomes more the deciding factor of whether its Wuxia or a more basic martial arts narrative.

And furthermore, you have cases where actual historical Chinese figures or events may be portrayed more straightforwardly in a more fact-based narrative, while sometimes being given more of a fantasy/folkloric facelift for other works using those same real world people and events that are less tethered to real life. The former would be occupying a space that can simply be a traditional martial arts narrative, a historical biopic, or a mix of both; while the latter would just be straight up, out and out Wuxia that simply has some real world names and historical concepts behind it. Pretty much anything involving figures like Wong Fei Hung have fallen quite literally all over this particular spectrum.

So to sum up: you have standard, grounded martial arts narratives, and you have Wuxia, with the element of Eastern fantasy being what generally separates the two. Real life people and events can sometimes intersect, and sometimes not. In either case, its still solidly Wuxia if there are dragons and martial artists flying around with their Ki and whatnot, regardless if historical Chinese people and events rear their heads or not.

Then finally we have the Xianxia term. That's a relatively MUCH more recent term that, to the best of my knowledge at least, has only really come into wider, popular use within the past decade or two (give or take). Its not a bad subdivision to have on hand in theory (a way of separating more low key Wuxia from more outwardly batshit gonzo over the top variations): but my main issue with it is how wildly inconsistent its broader use still presently is. Insofar as present day Wuxia fandom and critical circles goes, the Xianxia term seems to largely only ever come up when dividing works that are much more current and present from within the last decade or so (roughly the same amount of time as the term's come into vogue).

VERY rarely and without ANY hint of consistency is Xianxia as a term retroactively applied to older works from even as relatively recently as 20/30 years ago, no matter how much it would very obviously apply: no one's rushing out to label stuff like, for example, Zu Warriors or Buddha's Palm as Xianxia, despite how resoundingly clearly the label was made to apply to stories just like them. Fung Wan is very often more than capable of out-DBZ-ing even DBZ itself in its fights (seriously, characters like Sword Saint and Lord Godless are just beyond ridiculous in what they're capable of doing), and yet that too is simply left in the same old Wuxia category, rather than being re-branded as Xianxia.

And all this is to say nothing of the vast lion's share of Jin Yong and Gu Long's collective output.

Characters like Huang Yaoshi and Feng Qingyang are capable of cultivating enough Ki/Chi to cleave city-sized mountains in half just by blinking, and yet Condor Heroes and Laughing in the Wind are still routinely to this day lumped in as "Wuxia" and never Xianxia. Likewise, no one's really putting Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils into the Xianxia basket, despite several of its three or four main plotlines revolving almost ENTIRELY around god-level Ki cultivation and heavily featuring absurdly powerful fighters like Duan Yanqing, who could easily go toe to toe with any character out of anything that recent, young writers like Er Gen (who's works are rightly synonymous with Xiaxia) have ever come up with, to say nothing of anyone among the cast of characters from something like Dragon Ball.

The reason for this is obvious: Xianxia's still a fairly "new"-ish term, and these older stories (some of which are stone cold literary classics and cultural standards in their home country) have been synonymous with the Wuxia label for a RIDICULOUSLY long time now, and have decades upon decades upon decades worth of built-in cultural inertia keeping them from being linked to a still relatively recent categorical distinction. Whereas works that are still freshly new and recent are among the first to get thrown into the new category, because "shiny new toy" and whatnot.

Contrast that with the term Wuxia itself, where even though the term is only a little over 150 years old, its still widely retroactively applied (including within academic circles) to all manner of works that fit within its definition that date back tens upon tens of thousands of years ago.

Basically: on paper and in theory I'm totally and completely fine with using the Xianxia subdivision to separate Wuxia works that are more lightly supernatural in their content from ones that are more flagrantly, wildly over the top supernatural... but I'd like to see the trend become VASTLY more consistent and broadly used overall within the broader critical landscape for this genre before I start to place more stock into it myself. As it stands now, how the term usually and typically gets applied in actual practice seems to be much more often predicated upon how recent and fresh the work is more so than whether or not a given work (regardless of when it was made and how iconic of a cultural mainstay it has been for a long time) is actually fitting with the intended definition of the term.

Otherwise though, I prefer to keep the genre sub-division nice and simple & straightforward, especially in communities like this one where these concepts are (ridiculously and against all odds) still exceedingly "new" to a lot of people.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:47 pm

I can enjoy the FUNi cast and even the original dubs for sheer inoculation, but there is no double-talk in saying the series was long grandfathered into a cast begot of terrible circumstances that it would never have had today, as castings since Kai have made very clear. The American dub was divided into "eras" as it was even before Kai. What's another? I would never have realistically expected a total recast, most of a decade of video games had probably borne fruit, but I was a bit surprised they recast Gohan, Bulma and Freeza (even if the former two had geography and external factors to consider) but then no one else of note.
Kunzait_83 wrote:There is a fairly large portion of U.S. DBZ dub fans who are themselves intrinsically attracted to and emotionally attached to that specific flavor of low-grade quality cartoons, and want Dragon Ball to remain forever married to it for that very reason. Apart from FUNimation themselves and the obvious financial and licensing barriers that they represent, this specific corner of U.S. Dragon Ball fandom (which again, represents a decently large slice of it; or at the very least a tremendously vocal one) would pose a great deal of resistance toward ANY sort of change that would break the series away from the tonal realm of "crappy, cornball, Masters of the Universe or Power Rangers-esque kids' cartoon".
Which is baffling to me anecdotally, because understanding the Dragon Ball I had never seen is what brought it back into my sphere in the first place!
Kunzait_83 wrote:So any future attempt at dubbing it, preferably without the hand of FUNimation involved in any way, should come at it from a TOTALLY different and flat-out opposite approach than FUNimation's: casting for the roles should not only use the Japanese voices as a basic directional blueprint (and trust that Toriyama and the anime directors actually knew what the hell they were doing when casting them) but moreover they should be directed, as the Japanese voices largely were, to act in a MUCH more organic, naturalistic, and conversational manner, as if they are performing in a "real" film rather than mindlessly yelling, grunting, and putting on purposefully on-the-nose ridiculous voices into a microphone for some dumb Saturday morning children's action cartoon. And moreover, the vocal direction for the fight scenes should always remember and emphasize that these characters are mystical martial arts masters doing Kiai shouts and deep breathing control rather than just generic wrestler-types who are just randomly yelling and shrieking their heads off for no reason.
I recall Sabat's screaming advice to Dragon Ball recorders saying "You're either going to go all in and do it once, or not and do it twice", and thinking "But the Japanese cast doesn't try to cough out their lungs when they do the screams and they get by just fine- and according to Sean you all have been referencing them since 2003."
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Well, lines like that were few and far between in Kai 1.0 (unlike Kai TFC, BoG/RoF, Super, etc)
Ehhhhh... Not really. It did better than all the other dubs, but still usually had one or two per episode.
From the bit where Chichi feints in the Saiyan arc: "Krillin, get the smelling salts!"
Funny enough I think that was in both the 96 dub and 2005 redub :)

Actually I think a fair bit of dialog in the Z dub still made its way to the Kai dub. Like when Kami and Mr.Popo are discussing Piccolo’s possible change of heart no mention of people killed by Piccolo no longer going to limbo is made in the Kai dub and the conversation is identical, if not exact, to the 2005 dub.
There's a reason why Funimation's god-awful horrendous monstrosity of a dubbing job on the Z Boo arc and OG DB are excused as "that was when they got better!", but no one has anything to say about how the hell GT happened.
I do find it funny for what little good they did with OG Dragon Ball they immediately undid with GT and even their 2005 redub of Z. Like they want to present GT as Dragon Ball Z:The New Adventures to their audience they amassed with Toonami so they’re going to skip the entire first saga because it wasn’t DBZ enough get a super cereal narrator and use a Batman Beyond knock off score from Mark Menza that makes the Faulconer music sound praise worthy.

And then there’s the redub of the first 67 episodes which seems like it would be a golden opportunity to right some wrongs but instead its the exact same dub as their original 96 dub just with worse actors and Saban’s censorship notes removed and another replacement score even though keeping the score in Dragon Ball seemed like a good segue into keeping the score for Z

And there's also a reason why people go online and tear down all the alternate dubs, usually including Funi's Kai dub, usually without even giving those dubs any more time than looking at a YouTube video uploaded with the intent to mock it.
Seriously, go to any of those comparison videos the comments are overwhelming in favor of the Z In-house Funi dub with maybe Kai in second.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:46 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
Thanos wrote: Spirit Bomb? At the very least, better translations would've sufficed, but it seems like they got cold feet with the whole operation.
Genki Dama literally means Spirit or Soul Bomb. atleast look up what the actual Japanese words mean before trying to sound pretentious
Sure. And there's also a fairly common Japanese slangword that literally means "Throat penis", but a translator who isn't a total idiot would know there's more to it than what it literally means, in that case uvula.

As I understand it, Genki Dama has more to it than what it literally means, with some spiritual connotations going along with it. Calling it "Genki Dama" gives it the somewhat mystical vibe you tend to get when non-English phrases or words are used for such things. Though, I must say, it is rather odd, isn't it, that Genki Dama would be singled out as an attack to be translated, as opposed to attacks like Makankosappo, which had its name totally junked and replaced, or Kaioken, which -- despite the improper pronunciation -- was basically left as-is.

Ultimately, it seems whether intentionally or not, when putting Dragon Ball into English, Funimation seem to have mastered the art of taking away all depth and deeper meanings of most parts of the show. But I suppose that's what you get when they want this Japanese show heavily centred around Chinese culture, mythology, spirituality, etc. to be an American action show that's missing the first third of its run...
MasenkoHA wrote:Funny enough I think that was in both the 96 dub and 2005 redub :)

Actually I think a fair bit of dialog in the Z dub still made its way to the Kai dub. Like when Kami and Mr.Popo are discussing Piccolo’s possible change of heart no mention of people killed by Piccolo no longer going to limbo is made in the Kai dub and the conversation is identical, if not exact, to the 2005 dub.
Yes, indeed. Unfortunately, despite its reputation, Funi's Kai dub tends to reuse dialogue from the old Z dub quite frequently. Geekdom and others can say that Funimation created all-new translations from the Japanese scripts as much as they like, it's not going to start being true.
MasenkoHA wrote:I do find it funny for what little good they did with OG Dragon Ball they immediately undid with GT and even their 2005 redub of Z. Like they want to present GT as Dragon Ball Z:The New Adventures to their audience they amassed with Toonami so they’re going to skip the entire first saga because it wasn’t DBZ enough get a super cereal narrator and use a Batman Beyond knock off score from Mark Menza that makes the Faulconer music sound praise worthy.

And then there’s the redub of the first 67 episodes which seems like it would be a golden opportunity to right some wrongs but instead its the exact same dub as their original 96 dub just with worse actors and Saban’s censorship notes removed and another replacement score even though keeping the score in Dragon Ball seemed like a good segue into keeping the score for Z
Yes, exactly. I personally would hazard a guess that a good bit of the good done with the OG DB dub was done not out of a serious effort to do right by the show, but either by accident, or out of a need to get it done cheaply and quickly.
MasenkoHA wrote:Seriously, go to any of those comparison videos the comments are overwhelming in favor of the Z In-house Funi dub with maybe Kai in second.
Absolutely.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:47 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:Seriously, go to any of those comparison videos the comments are overwhelming in favor of the Z In-house Funi dub with maybe Kai in second.
Entirely because of nostalgia. I can't think of a single case where any future dub wasn't superior to the early dubs, but I still see so many comments saying they think Knockoff-Drummond Sabat and Nasally-Nerd Schemmel from the '90s are superior to the present where they at least have some personality and direction on top of not using what almost amounts to a parody dub. In Kai's case, almost all of the bile it gets is because of the censored Nicktoons version (and the remainder is that it still kept some filler).
My favorite was this one guy who said Schemmel's weak scream from when Goku first transformed into a Super Saiyan was "manlier and better" than Kai's unhinged "girly" scream. The first one sounds like the guy wasn't even trying!
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:50 pm

Yuli Ban wrote:I can't think of a single case where any future dub wasn't superior to the early dubs, but I still see so many comments saying they think Knockoff-Drummond Sabat and Nasally-Nerd Schemmel from the '90s are superior to the present where they at least have some personality and direction on top of not using what almost amounts to a parody dub. In Kai's case, almost all of the bile it gets is because of the censored Nicktoons version (and the remainder is that it still kept some filler).
My favorite was this one guy who said Schemmel's weak scream from when Goku first transformed into a Super Saiyan was "manlier and better" than Kai's unhinged "girly" scream. The first one sounds like the guy wasn't even trying!
The NickToons edit does give Kai some un-deserved hate, but for what it was, it was a solid TV edit of what Kai was. The only hate the NickToons version really gets is for the fact it's censored, and ultimately, this is just used as fuel for the anti-Kai fire.

On a side-note, you say you can't think of a case where a future dub wasn't superior to an early dub... If this counts, the 2005 Funi redub was worse than the '96 Saban dub. And if not, then you'll find people generally tend to agree Ocean's work on the Westwood dub wasn't as good as their work on the Saban dub. And if that doesn't count -- understandable, given the switch in studios and such -- then it's easy to argue that Blue Water's work on DB wasn't as good as their work on GT, because while both are solid TV dubs of the same standard in terms of acting and direction, GT was only cut by a few shots in a few episodes and featured highly-accurate scripts directly translated from the Japanese(In fact, while many dispute this because of the Funi Kai, TFC, and Super dubs' perceived accuracy, I argue BW GT remains the most accurate Dragon Ball series dubbing work we've ever seen), while DB was based off AB Groupe's censored French video master, and its scripts were generally Funi's DB scripts, with heavy corrections put into force.

And, of course, as mentioned, Funi's work on GT was far worse than their work on DB or later Z.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:32 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Would it have benefited artistically? I'm sure it would have. Everybody involved with the dub now is far, far more aware of what a good dub of Dragon Ball should should like, from the directors, to the actors, to the writers, and even the engineers. They were beginners when they first worked on the show, and they're not beginners whatsoever anymore. That said, would it have benefited financially? Good Kami, no.
This is exactly how I feel about it anytime someone brings up the idea of Dragon Ball being redubbed from the ground up. It's easy for anyone to say that it would be in Funimation's best interest to not feel beholden to their original dub and its fans and do everything from scratch but we need to remember that Dragon Ball is the property that made them the biggest anime distributor in North America. The likes of Schemmel and Sabat have been great ambassadors for the franchise and by extension Funimation over the years. It would have been a massive risk and spit in the fact to their loyalty to re-audition them after a decade of their constant hard work on the series and video games for what little pay they accumulated, not to mention the fanbase and customer base that would have been alienated. I really think people overestimate the size of the fanbase that would have wanted a complete redub. Characters like Kaio, Yamcha and other minor Schemmel and Sabat roles could have been recast, and I would have liked it too, but then you have Schemmel's Goku, which I've noticed is still polarizing to this day, which means the fanbase that would have wanted a complete redub is even smaller. My point is it would be a lot harder to please a sizable portion of the fanbase to make a profit than people say.
Lunatic Fringe wrote:I’d like to think that with the positives strives that the core cast of the FUNi dub have made over the years, along with the good casting decisions since Kai (including recasts), any benefits from a complete recast feel like a roll of a twenty-sided dice. In other words, an overall reaping of immense benefits wouldn’t exactly be the most likely outcome, since I couldn’t imagine that most of the recasts would be that much better than what we have right now (for the most part, anyway).
For me personally I think Kai got the best of both worlds. It appeals to the Toonami crowd because it didn't go down the re-auditing route, but most of the actors' roles were nonetheless improvements over what came before. Maybe they could have got a better Goku, but it's not a guarantee and Schemmel learned the best way possible - through experience. He didn't get the character at first, but he worked very hard to understand what Goku was all about and once Kai came along he nailed it.
Robo4900 wrote:Funi should have done what Ocean did, and run re-auditions for everyone, and been totally unafraid to recast anyone and everyone who isn't a legit really great casting for that role.
It will certainly be interesting whenever Ocean Kai debuts to see how Richard Ian Cox holds up to Schemmel, but I'd day the odds are 50/50 on who ends up playing Goku better.

That is not to say that Ocean or any of the alternate dubs' efforts don't hold merit. The fact Ocean re-auditioned everyone for Kai is certainly admirable and I definitely agree with your point abouut the Blue Water dubs being superior to Funimation's efforts on DB and DBGT, but unlike Funimation Dragon Ball their success didn't initially depend on Dragon Ball so there are less risks involved, especially when creating a dub which is unlikely to have profitable prospects beyond broadcast.

I also think the Bang Zoom dub of Super shows how doing a new dub sounds great from an artistic perspective, but realistically it will be very hard to justify it from a business perspective.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:09 pm

By what guys are saying of "genuine and professional" voice actors, what do you mean exactly? Do you want union guys who do American cartoons mainly, or big name celebrities who don't really do voice over? This did start the careers of guys who became well known voice actors. Laura Bailey is well liked for the video games she does and being Black Widow. And Ms. Rial is pretty much the queen of anime roles with all that she's done. So could you give specifics of what actors would you want in it?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:42 pm

Just get people who can act well. I wouldn't mind union cartoon voice actors doing anime dubs, but at the same time, it's more of a desire than a necessity. And even if they are "better" and "more talented" actors than Funimation's, that doesn't mean their performances will be better. I think Jimmy Stewart was a better actor, but I don't think he could have done a better job than Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:50 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:You can't just say because the cast wasn't experienced at the time of the original dub they should be replaced. They had about 10 years experience on them when they did Kai.
And as I've argued on here many times, it REALLY doesn't show NEARLY as much as it should. 99% of the "classic" FUNimation cast all still sound about roughly almost as terrible now as they did when they started, with only MILD improvement around the edges in the overall grand scheme of things. The biggest improvements by far and away were the tiny few voices that they recast totally from scratch: and that's NOT a coincidence in any way, shape, or form.

This is because, when you get right down to it, most of the original FUNimation cast just AREN'T very good or talented actors. They not only shouldn't have been voicing these roles back in the day, they by and large shouldn't still be voicing them today and should have been booted ages and ages ago.

And yes, as much as people loathe to hear this, I'm still gonna use the N word here: the ONLY reason that they get as much love and praise as they do is 1000% entirely due to nostalgia. The degree to which fans have bent themselves over backwards and contorted themselves into ridiculous pretzel logic time after time after time to make increasingly absurd excuses for any and all faults in these actors' performances throughout the years makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever until you factor in that most fans are simply working backwards from raw, gut-instinctual emotional attachment and an almost childlike sentimental clinginess rather than even the most reasonable of critical standards.

So yes, as I've argued many, many, many times now throughout the years, what Dragon Ball has long, long always DESPERATELY needed was a completely fresh, 100% from scratch do-over for its dub from the ground up; and in all honestly I'd prefer if it were from a company totally different from FUNimation altogether, since at this point they don't have a single ounce of trust from me and simply carry far, far too much baggage with this series.

This would entail not only a complete recasting of ALL the voices (at the end of the day there's like... only the tiniest, fractional handful of performances from the old dub that I'm at all fine with to any extent whatsoever) as well as a script that remains as faithful to the original as is humanly possible, with dialogue alterations only accounting for things like lip flaps and timing as well as puns that don't translate... but also more importantly overall, just a complete and total rethinking of the entire core approach taken to dubbing Dragon Ball in the first place.

At the end of the day, THAT is where the core problem lies that everything else originally stems from with FUNi's dub: the foundational approach itself was corrosive and broken from the onset. To borrow from a recent political saying, "the fish rots from the head down".

The original sin from which all of the other problems with the old dub come from was its initial origins as something that was made to air on U.S. syndicated children's television in the mid to late 1990s. Tailoring it not only for the norms of puritanical soccer moms in the backwoods and suburbs of Utah and Nebraska and such, but also - and more damagingly in the long term - for the bargain basement low quality standards of programming of that particular demographical venue and era.

What sets Dragon Ball apart not only from other Japanese Shonen anime, but moreover from standard U.S. kids' TV (across ANY era) is that its written, directed, and overall executed as if its an authentic 1970s or 1980s Hong Kong kung fu movie; THAT is Dragon Ball's actual creative roots, and its something who's stylistic and tonal identity is WHOLLY and diametrically at odds with what FUNimation wanted to market and sell this series as back in 1996 and 1999. Its the textbook definition of trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.

So any future attempt at dubbing it, preferably without the hand of FUNimation involved in any way, should come at it from a TOTALLY different and flat-out opposite approach than FUNimation's: casting for the roles should not only use the Japanese voices as a basic directional blueprint (and trust that Toriyama and the anime directors actually knew what the hell they were doing when casting them) but moreover they should be directed, as the Japanese voices largely were, to act in a MUCH more organic, naturalistic, and conversational manner, as if they are performing in a "real" film rather than mindlessly yelling, grunting, and putting on purposefully on-the-nose ridiculous voices into a microphone for some dumb Saturday morning children's action cartoon. And moreover, the vocal direction for the fight scenes should always remember and emphasize that these characters are mystical martial arts masters doing Kiai shouts and deep breathing control rather than just generic wrestler-types who are just randomly yelling and shrieking their heads off for no reason.

No, that DOESN'T mean that I'm expecting or asking for Oscar caliber material here, or anything even vaguely close to it (god knows most of the same Shaw films that DB got most of its influence from didn't even have that much of the time): just something that matches up with BASELINE quality standards in non-children's film and television media: something which Dragon Ball, in English, has NEVER had at ANY point in its entire cringingly embarrassing history. If we even got actors who are of marginal primetime network TV level talent, that in itself would be an upgrade of exponential proportions above that which FUNimation has always done with it (which is to keep it at about the level of an early 90s G.I. Joe knockoff).

In other words: for fuck's sake, just let some actual, honest to god emotional subtlety and authenticity creep its way into this thing.

Of course absolutely none of that's ever going to happen obviously, but that isn't the point of threads like this: this is purely an "in an ideal world" fantasy scenario.

The other problem though, and the one that is very rarely discussed in any serious detail throughout this fanbase is the other elephant in the room besides FUNimation themselves: their fans. Specifically the fact that there are a not insubstantial number of U.S. Dragon Ball fans who like the FUNimation dub and its approach precisely and specifically because it is stylistically in the same vein as a drugstore knockoff of a shitty late 80s Saturday morning action cartoon made solely to sell cheap toys to bratty kids.

There is a fairly large portion of U.S. DBZ dub fans who are themselves intrinsically attracted to and emotionally attached to that specific flavor of low-grade quality cartoons, and want Dragon Ball to remain forever married to it for that very reason. Apart from FUNimation themselves and the obvious financial and licensing barriers that they represent, this specific corner of U.S. Dragon Ball fandom (which again, represents a decently large slice of it; or at the very least a tremendously vocal one) would pose a great deal of resistance toward ANY sort of change that would break the series away from the tonal realm of "crappy, cornball, Masters of the Universe or Power Rangers-esque kids' cartoon".
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:58 pm

Kataphrut wrote:Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:01 pm

CTAkuma wrote:Genki Dama literally means Spirit or Soul Bomb. atleast look up what the actual Japanese words mean before trying to sound pretentious
玉 or "tama/dama" translates to "ball" or anything spherical. What's that have to do with a bomb?

Furthermore, I will go ahead and be exactly as pretentious as I want, thank you very much. If you don't like pretentiousness with your Dragon Ball, I'm afraid you've recently registered on the wrong forum. In any case, what's your point? If you've nothing nice or productive to say, don't say it at all.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:53 am

Thanos wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:Genki Dama literally means Spirit or Soul Bomb. atleast look up what the actual Japanese words mean before trying to sound pretentious
玉 or "tama/dama" translates to "ball" or anything spherical. What's that have to do with a bomb?

Furthermore, I will go ahead and be exactly as pretentious as I want, thank you very much. If you don't like pretentiousness with your Dragon Ball, I'm afraid you've recently registered on the wrong forum. In any case, what's your point? If you've nothing nice or productive to say, don't say it at all.
That's only if you translate it literally as in "Energy ball". People like you have nothing productive to say when you complain about words that were changed in the english release, even though you don't consider that they had to account for lipflaps and timing. Word for word translations are impossible

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:24 pm

Super Sonic wrote:By what guys are saying of "genuine and professional" voice actors, what do you mean exactly? Do you want union guys who do American cartoons mainly, or big name celebrities who don't really do voice over? This did start the careers of guys who became well known voice actors. Laura Bailey is well liked for the video games she does and being Black Widow. And Ms. Rial is pretty much the queen of anime roles with all that she's done. So could you give specifics of what actors would you want in it?
Going on a tangent but I genuinely can’t stand the plethora of hollywood animated movies going with whatever A-lister they could find to voice act instead of actual voice actors. So I definitely wouldn’t want celebrity voice actors.

The Kai era cast was honestly fine to me. Schemmel and Sabat’s performance are vastly improved from even the remastered Z days. The new replacements are all better with the exception of Colleen Clinkenbeard’s 18 is just okay compared to Meridith Mccoy. I still think Funimation should have been more open to recasting and not just using as many old voices as they could. There’s no reason for Schemmel to still do the piss poor impersonation of Don Brown’s King Kai or for Chris Sabat to voice as many characters as he did (Vegeta, Yamcha, Piccolo, and Shenron)

Like most of the Funimation cast was clearly given their jobs back in 1999 due to their willingness to work for peanuts and sounding close enough to the Ocean cast in Barry Watson’s mind. I’ll grant you Schemmel’s Goku and Sabat’s everyone moved away from that by 2003 but still

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:52 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
Thanos wrote:

That's only if you translate it literally as in "Energy ball". People like you have nothing productive to say when you complain about words that were changed in the english release, even though you don't consider that they had to account for lipflaps and timing. Word for word translations are impossible

I think Spirit Ball doesnt have too many lip flaps and was only translated that way because one of Yamcha's teachniques was already named Spirit Ball. So there is no lip flap problem.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:01 am

Robo4900 wrote:I will say that I think this is one reason the Blue Water dubs of Dragon Ball and GT are a lot better than people give them credit for. The acting is still on about the same level as Funi's dubbing, and as good as GT's scripts are, the DB scripts waver in accuracy a lot of the time, but it feels like the guys doing the Blue Water dub at least had some clue what they were doing, and what Dragon Ball is supposed to be. There's still mistakes, other studios could have done better, and they're still not great dubs, but aside from the Pioneer dubs, they're probably the closest we ever got to Dragon Ball dubbing being done with the right mindset. It's commendable and notable, at least. And it does make them the superior option to the crap Funi put out, however dubious that honour may be.
Funi GT's scripts were accurate? I don't recall Goku acting all superheroic in the Japanese version. They made him even more of a superhero than in the Z dub.
Lunatic Fringe wrote:I’d like to think that with the positives strives that the core cast of the FUNi dub have made over the years, along with the good casting decisions since Kai (including recasts), any benefits from a complete recast feel like a roll of a twenty-sided dice. In other words, an overall reaping of immense benefits wouldn’t exactly be the most likely outcome, since I couldn’t imagine that most of the recasts would be that much better than what we have right now (for the most part, anyway).

That being said, if there were any main cast changes I wouldn’t feel iffy about, it’d be recasting Strait in the role of Kuririn, Schemmel in the role of North Kai, Martin in the role of Mr. Buu, MacFarland in the role of Muten Roshi, and Sabat in the roles of both Yamcha and Vegeta.
I don't really see any need in recasting Strait. I think he works well in the part.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:24 am

Sonny's always been one of their stronger actors, I think in large part because of his theater background.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Lunatic Fringe
Regular

Post by Lunatic Fringe » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:44 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:I don't really see any need in recasting Strait. I think he works well in the part.
Neither do I, quite frankly. It’s just not a performance that I think is really irreplaceable. Granted, there are only a few performances from the FUNi cast that I’d call “irreplaceable”, but Strait’s Kuririn, while good, isn’t good enough for me to be heartbroken if he were to be given a better actor behind the voice. It’s kinda like my thoughts on Sabat’s Vegeta; there’s no need to replace a solid performance, but a potential recast wouldn’t make me feel anxious.

And while I’m revisiting my last comment in here, I feel the need to add another name and role to the list; Eric Vale’s Trunks.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:45 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:Funi GT's scripts were accurate? I don't recall Goku acting all superheroic in the Japanese version. They made him even more of a superhero than in the Z dub.
You misunderstand. Blue Water's GT scripts were accurate, flowed rather nicely, etc. Funi's were utter crap.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.