Question about GT's art style.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Question about GT's art style.

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 pm

hey all! I actually just got chrono trigger for the ps1 and love the opening to it and was curious who actually drew it to look like that? I know Toei is the company but I don't know if Akira Toriyama actually animated it and GT. I personally really loved GT and the path to power's animation. My only issue with the series animation is I wished more things were moving on the actual image than just everyone standing around.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Question about GT's art style.

Post by Cetra » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:52 pm

Square has in-house people that have adapted the Toriyama-style. They don't need Toei or Akira Toriyama for that. Akira Toriyama just did the character design and concept art. He did not do the frames for the PS1 version cutscenes or anything. That's why Square Enix does not need him to design everything Dragon Quest. Also Akira Toriyama is not an animator.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:00 pm

Didn't Yamamuro supervise the PSX Chrono Trigger animation? It looks like his post GT art, without the cheek indents and overly done highlights, and IMDB says it was him, credited as "Naoyoshi Yamamura".
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:03 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Didn't Yamamuro supervise the PSX Chrono Trigger animation?
Well, Toei did do that. I just had to shout out my obligatory "Square does not need Toei/Toriyama for everything they draw".
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:08 pm

Cetra wrote:Square has in-house people that have adapted the Toriyama-style. They don't need Toei or Akira Toriyama for that. Akira Toriyama just did the character design and concept art. He did not do the frames for the PS1 version cutscenes or anything. That's why Square Enix does not need him to design everything Dragon Quest. Also Akira Toriyama is not an animator.
Thanks for the info. also I didn't know AT wouldn't animate stuff. I just assumed since he worked on the manga he may have dabbled in it from time to time. I just love that GT style though. honestly I wouldn't have minded seeing Super look like that.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:10 pm

samuraix123 wrote:
Cetra wrote:Square has in-house people that have adapted the Toriyama-style. They don't need Toei or Akira Toriyama for that. Akira Toriyama just did the character design and concept art. He did not do the frames for the PS1 version cutscenes or anything. That's why Square Enix does not need him to design everything Dragon Quest. Also Akira Toriyama is not an animator.
Thanks for the info. also I didn't know AT wouldn't animate stuff. I just assumed since he worked on the manga he may have dabbled in it from time to time. I just love that GT style though. honestly I wouldn't have minded seeing Super look like that.
As said in the previous posts though the did indeed colaborate with Toei for that. But its also true they have their own designers.

Animation is not merely drawing, you must know. So of course Akira Toriyama would not do that. He is a mangaka, not a person that draws frames and then translates frames into motion art.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:15 pm

This dragonquest art does look super amazing.
#1 Paikuhan fan!