Lord Slug on YTV?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Arian
Banned

Lord Slug on YTV?

Post by Arian » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:14 am

The other day, I got my hands on one of many YTV tapes that circulate around the Internet, and I saw something that didn't sit right with me:
How can this be? I was to understand that all they got before the 2001 dispute was the 3 Ocean dubbed movies and the 2 FUNi dubbed TV specials.

Does anyone have some exact clarification on this?

Thanks.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.
Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Kuwabara
Regular

Re: Lord Slug on YTV?

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Mind uploading a clip of the promo? Do you know when the tape was recorded?
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Either way, that's certainly.......interesting......artwork.

[understatement] Bit of a departure from Toriyama's style. [/understatement]
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:09 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Either way, that's certainly.......interesting......artwork.

That screenshot has nothing to do with DBZ, that was one of the bumpers for YTV at the time. Everything had an alien theme.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:37 pm

TVfan721 wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Either way, that's certainly.......interesting......artwork.

That screenshot has nothing to do with DBZ, that was one of the bumpers for YTV at the time. Everything had an alien theme.
Ohhh, I see. I thought the YTV execs were like, "Oh, a movie featuring a slug? Let's draw some slugs of our own so we fit in!"

Your explanation definitely makes more sense. :lol:
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:42 pm

Kuwabara wrote:Mind uploading a clip of the promo? Do you know when the tape was recorded?
Unfortunately no promos or the movie itself were recorded on this tape, just that next bumper, and it's the only one recorded.

Never the less, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBjcSoIIuv8

Oh, and the record date of that bumper is May 20, 2002.
Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

Danfun64 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:40 pm Screw Corus and it's monopoly. It should sell off the Nick, Disney, and CN assets at minimum.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:16 pm

Take a look here. You'll find most(All?) of the Z movies aired in summer 2002.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:26 pm

But was the dub Funi or Big Green?

Edit: Perhaps that's a dumb question, as "Lord Slug" is Funi's name for the film

Edit: so at least the first four movies and the two specials are confirmed. I'm gonna guess it's the Toonami edits for everything except Tree of Might, which used the Saban dub.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:47 pm

So Canada got the Funimation movie dubs on TV following Ocean movies 1-3? And here I thought I'd remembered someone saying they'd never aired there at all. I guess we in the UK really did draw the short straw when we got the Big Green movies on Toonami.

Arian
Banned

Post by Arian » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Take a look here. You'll find most(All?) of the Z movies aired in summer 2002.
Well, don't get it confused. They just aired the Ocean trilogy, the 2 specials, and Lord Slug. I guess I was wrong and they got at least one movie from the post-Ocean era.

But they only aired it 3 times ever so clearly my memory of that would be fuzzy, especially considering my age at the time.
90sDBZ wrote:So Canada got the Funimation movie dubs on TV following Ocean movies 1-3? And here I thought I'd remembered someone saying they'd never aired there at all. I guess we in the UK really did draw the short straw when we got the Big Green movies on Toonami.
Well, that someone is right. We never got anything past Lord Slug because of the dispute or whatever it was that made YTV and FUNimation stop communicating. So we missed out on a lot. My memory was fuzzy on that, but I guess YTV did license Lord Slug before the end, what do you know?

DBGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by DBGod » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:54 am

I have all the movies and specials recorded as well in my archive, including Lord Slug. I didn't realize this was news to anyone, regardless that picture saves me time so I don't have to dig up my tapes lol.
If you have any English recorded material and would like to put it to good use, please PM me!
"He's strong, oh he's strong alright. This is not good, hmmm...."

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:16 am

90sDBZ wrote:So Canada got the Funimation movie dubs on TV following Ocean movies 1-3? And here I thought I'd remembered someone saying they'd never aired there at all. I guess we in the UK really did draw the short straw when we got the Big Green movies on Toonami.
The FUNimation dub of the Z movies is pretty terrible at times (imo), so between the FUNi dub and the Big Green dub, I'd take the latter. At least with the BG dub it's comedic at the very least.

Speaking of which, I found the Trunks special dub to be pretty darn good and the voice actor of No. 17 was insanely good in a maniacal way.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:06 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
The FUNimation dub of the Z movies is pretty terrible at times (imo), so between the FUNi dub and the Big Green dub, I'd take the latter. At least with the BG dub it's comedic at the very least.

Speaking of which, I found the Trunks special dub to be pretty darn good and the voice actor of No. 17 was insanely good in a maniacal way.
Well to each his own I guess. For me the Funimation movie dubs were mostly very well done while the Big Green dubs were all around dreadful. Years later watching clips of the Big Green dub online it's easier to see the funny side of it, but back in the day when that was the only way of watching the movies in the UK it was just depressing.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:47 pm

90sDBZ wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

Well to each his own I guess. For me the Funimation movie dubs were mostly very well done while the Big Green dubs were all around dreadful. Years later watching clips of the Big Green dub online it's easier to see the funny side of it, but back in the day when that was the only way of watching the movies in the UK it was just depressing.
Ooooooohhhh right.....forgot about that last part. The only way to watch it? Yeah, that would be depressing!

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:10 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Well to each his own I guess. For me the Funimation movie dubs were mostly very well done while the Big Green dubs were all around dreadful. Years later watching clips of the Big Green dub online it's easier to see the funny side of it, but back in the day when that was the only way of watching the movies in the UK it was just depressing.
Suppose you have a point but your options were and still are between a mediocre dub to a terrible dub, it's like the lesser of two evils. :P