Vic Mignogna

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Vic Mignogna

Post by Terez » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:28 am

KBABZ wrote:
TVfan721 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/groups/unoffic ... 424984090/

Vic addressed the allegations at a panel this weekend. Most of his appearances this year have been cancelled thankfully but for some reason, this particular one still let him in.
Could this be transcribed into text? Might be helpful for anyone who wants to analyze it.
Is the video available anywhere else? Apparently you have to join the Facebook group to view it.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:33 am

Captain Awesome wrote:As someone who works in the legal profession I feel I’m somewhat qualified to offer the following opinion;

None of you “let’s be cautious” dipshit kids have even the slightest understanding of the power dynamic of a sexual assault case. Bringing an action has a high personal cost in a system heavily skewed toward the accused. For instance in a simple battery offence you don’t have to prove consent, it’s pretty easily to convince a jury that a guy with bloody fists beat the shit out of a guy covered in bruises with some witness accounts and circumstantial evidence.

But proving consent in a sexual assault case involves a jury going through the defendants state of mind and whether the defendant at the time was first advertent to whether or not the victim was consenting and whether under the circumstances that belief was reasonable. This is an incredibly high bar to reach and often a thought process that many jurors struggle with.

This doesn’t even consider the hundreds of procedural indignities visited upon victims where in some jurisdictions if the accused is a self representing litigant they may cross examine the victim if they chose to give evidence.

I’m too frustrated to make this post coherent but its no wonder seeing how in this thread multiple people have not only demonstrated a complete (and concerning) ignorance of the legal system but also an abject lack of humanity. Also some of y’all are powerfully fucking stupid.
This post offers some interesting insight into the legal process, but you don't do yourself or anyone else any favors by calling people dipshits or fucking stupid. Is your aim to educate or insult? We need more of the former and less of the latter.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:16 am

Shaddy wrote:Vic is already guilty of sexual assault, there's videos and images of this stuff that are pretty irrefutable, and him saying "I'll try to be better" is basically admitting it. The question is mostly just how guilty he is.
Videos? I don't recall seeing any incriminating videos in that article. You're going to have to link that if you are going to make those claims.

And of the photos, absolutely nothing among them constitutes sexual assault. He was being inappropriate and not being wary of personal boundaries, but nothing close to sexual assault. There was no sexual contact, therefore, it wasn't sexual assault.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:37 am

I'm all for decorum, but there comes a point where the faux-polite "let's be reasonable and thoughtful about this good DAY sir" grandstanding is just a clear, well-documented, obvious charade that we don't have to put up and play games with just to maintain face. There ain't no "gotcha, you're not polite!" here for us to fall for.

Sometimes kids like coola here need to be told that they're wrong, they're absolutely wrong, they're beyond wrong, they're unacceptably wrong beyond all comprehension, and we don't have to even remotely pretend that they have something worth saying on this kind of subject matter. And sometimes it's gonna get a little rude in the educational process when it's stuff of this nature.

Talk all you want about your favorite replacement score. Knock yourselves out.
coola wrote:Personally, i blame some youtubers and radical leftists, they kept falsely accusing people for racist comments or sexual assaults so much, it become "Boy, who cried wolf". Rape, sexual assault and discrimination for skin color or race is terrible thing, and when they use this argument just because they dont like someone or want to gain attention, they are terrible human beings.
PFM18 wrote:There was no sexual contact, therefore, it wasn't sexual assault.
But this stuff? No, we don't have to listen to this, and we're going to make it clear time and time again that you're wrong and you don't represent Kanzenshuu, its administrators, its community, or anything those entities stand for.

And yes, that's up through and including no longer having the ability to maintain a presence in this community if and when an administrative/moderation team member decides it.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:42 am

So... I feel like people are acting like Mignogna’s on court for sexual assault.

He’s not. No one that I’ve seen is trying to take him to court for sexual assaul. He’s just finally being (rightfully and justifiably) called out for his completely inappropriate behavior at cons that compromised the comfortability of multiple female con goers

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:46 am

VegettoEX wrote:But this stuff? No, we don't have to listen to this, and we're going to make it clear time and time again that you're wrong and you don't represent Kanzenshuu, its administrators, its community, or anything those entities stand for.
So, are you going to explain how exactly I'm wrong rather than just sort of claiming that's the case? I read through the article and didn't see any sexual contact at any point, if you can show otherwise, then you should do so rather than just chastising me with no rebuttal.
MasenkoHA wrote:So... I feel like people are acting like Mignogna’s on court for sexual assault.

He’s not. No one that I’ve seen is trying to take him to court for sexual assaul. He’s just finally being (rightfully and justifiably) called out for his completely inappropriate behavior at cons that compromised the comfortability of multiple female con goers
Regardless of whether legal action is being taken, people are accusing him of sexual assault. Being inappropriate in the respect that he was, does not constitute sexual assault.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:48 am

Neil Kaplan joins the fray to talk about the first time he met Mic Vignogna and was unceremoniously sexually assaulted in front of an audience. Christ, there's video, too.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:54 am

JulieYBM wrote:Neil Kaplan joins the fray to talk about the first time he met Mic Vignogna and was unceremoniously sexually assaulted in front of an audience. Christ, there's video, too.
Just curious, but why did you use the words "sexually assaulted" here?

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:01 am

VegettoEX wrote:I'm all for decorum, but there comes a point where the faux-polite "let's be reasonable and thoughtful about this good DAY sir" grandstanding is just a clear, well-documented, obvious charade that we don't have to put up and play games with just to maintain face. There ain't no "gotcha, you're not polite!" here for us to fall for.

Sometimes kids like coola here need to be told that they're wrong, they're absolutely wrong, they're beyond wrong, they're unacceptably wrong beyond all comprehension, and we don't have to even remotely pretend that they have something worth saying on this kind of subject matter. And sometimes it's gonna get a little rude in the educational process when it's stuff of this nature.

Talk all you want about your favorite replacement score. Knock yourselves out.
coola wrote:Personally, i blame some youtubers and radical leftists, they kept falsely accusing people for racist comments or sexual assaults so much, it become "Boy, who cried wolf". Rape, sexual assault and discrimination for skin color or race is terrible thing, and when they use this argument just because they dont like someone or want to gain attention, they are terrible human beings.
PFM18 wrote:There was no sexual contact, therefore, it wasn't sexual assault.
But this stuff? No, we don't have to listen to this, and we're going to make it clear time and time again that you're wrong and you don't represent Kanzenshuu, its administrators, its community, or anything those entities stand for.

And yes, that's up through and including no longer having the ability to maintain a presence in this community if and when an administrative/moderation team member decides it.
Sorry, but i would like to make something clear, by no means my reply was meant as attack actual victims of grope/sexual assault/rape, what i've meant, was that there are some people, like Soulja Boy, who are saying stuff like "You dont want my console to success, because I'm black". Or some creepy leftists, who say "You raped me, because you looked at me" And because of such people, ACTUAL victims of racist attacks or rape are sometimes afraid to speak up, because they are people who deliberately tell lie for attention, and victims are afraid no one will believe them. And such liars deserved to be marked as persona non grata or boycotted.

Thats what i've meant, sorry if i was unclear.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:06 am

mute_proxy wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Neil Kaplan joins the fray to talk about the first time he met Mic Vignogna and was unceremoniously sexually assaulted in front of an audience. Christ, there's video, too.
That's exactly my point. People are throwing around the phrase "sexual assault" in instances where it isn't applicable as though it isn't a serious offense. It is insulting to actual of sexual assault to call things like this the same thing, it diminishes what they had to go through.

To be clear, my no means am I saying that Vic was being appropriate. Just that as far as the evidence I'm aware of, he has never sexually assaulted anyone at these conventions.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:08 am

PFM18 wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
That's exactly my point. People are throwing around the phrase "sexual assault" in instances where it isn't applicable as though it isn't a serious offense. It is insulting to actual of sexual assault to call things like this the same thing, it diminishes what they had to go through.

To be clear, my no means am I saying that Vic was being appropriate. Just that as far as the evidence I'm aware of, he has never sexually assaulted anyone at these conventions.
Kaplan says he felt violated by Vignogna PRESSING HIS CROTCH AGAINST THE BACK OF HIS NECK.
She/Her
bisexual milf

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:17 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Kaplan says he felt violated by Vignogna PRESSING HIS CROTCH AGAINST THE BACK OF HIS NECK.
The guy had his space violated and was publicly embarrassed, but I'm sorry, jumping a guy and sitting on his shoulders is a physical assault, not a sexual one.

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:19 am

PFM18 wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:

Because defining what is and isn't sexual assault is in itself damaging to those who are victims?

"He only touched and kissed you inappropriately and made some questionable comments about someone's Jewishness, stop being so dramatic! He's not rapey Hitler!"

What good is it doing to keep questioning people's use of the term "sexual assault" followed by "no means am I saying that Vic was being appropriate". Look, I get what you're saying. I get that you're trying to say the word use is important legally. Yes, very good, well done. The point is it doesn't matter in the conversation here. It doesn't matter what we call it, it's wrong and pointing out that it could have been more wrong isn't useful, because it just implies "think yourself lucky! some people get sexually assaulted for real! what you experienced isn't real!". We need to stop getting so hung up over word use and derailing the point for the sake of it, because all it does is marginalise what he's done and the effect that's had on people.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:24 am

mute_proxy wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:
The guy had his space violated and was publicly embarrassed, but I'm sorry, jumping a guy and sitting on his shoulders is a physical assault, not a sexual one.
A stranger forces his dick onto your person and you don't consider that sexual assault? Come the fuck on.
She/Her
bisexual milf

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:31 am

saiyanhajime wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:

Because defining what is and isn't sexual assault is in itself damaging to those who are victims?

"He only touched and kissed you inappropriately and made some questionable comments about someone's Jewishness, stop being so dramatic! He's not rapey Hitler!"

What good is it doing to keep questioning people's use of the term "sexual assault" followed by "no means am I saying that Vic was being appropriate". Look, I get what you're saying. I get that you're trying to say the word use is important legally. Yes, very good, well done. The point is it doesn't matter in the conversation here. It doesn't matter what we call it, it's wrong and pointing out that it could have been more wrong isn't useful, because it just implies "think yourself lucky! some people get sexually assaulted for real! what you experienced isn't real!". We need to stop getting so hung up over word use and derailing the point for the sake of it, because all it does is marginalise what he's done and the effect that's had on people.
How is it damaging to distinguish between an extremely serious offense that is usually considered a felony and one that isn't? Sexual assault and sexual harassment are different things, with the former being much more severe. At absolute worst, this is sexual harassment, and you could argue in this particular case, that this is a physical assault rather than anything with a sexual connotation whatsoever.

The "good" in it is that I'm not being apologetic to Vic nor am I saying he did nothing wrong, but this isn't sexual assault and it simply isn't right to accuse him of something so severe when he didn't commit such an offense.
Last edited by PFM18 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:32 am

JulieYBM wrote:
A stranger forces his dick onto your person and you don't consider that sexual assault? Come the fuck on.
I guess anything can be turned into sexual assault these days.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:38 am

saiyanhajime wrote:We need to stop getting so hung up over word use and derailing the point for the sake of it, because all it does is marginalise what he's done and the effect that's had on people.
They don't do it to marginalize what anyone did. I am pretty sure most people here are aware that Vic Mignogna is a somewhat excentric, overly physically expressive person. But you cannot conflate every misconduct because you cannot penalize everyone the same way since not everything has the same severty. If he does things that make people feel uncomfortable then people need to react in the right measures. Sentencing him to death (hyperbole by me, you get what I mean) is not the approach. I am 100% sure everybody that appears to be sceptic here is not doing that to say "oh, those "vic-tims" are bullshitting" and very well are capable of showing empathy, otherwise empathy towards Vic Mignogna would not be shown right now. So yes, I am convinced none of them posts what they do with the intent of saying "pff, let's not take these guys seriously and show no emphathy or compassion, they had it coming".
Last edited by Cetra on Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:41 am

Cetra wrote:
saiyanhajime wrote:We need to stop getting so hung up over word use and derailing the point for the sake of it, because all it does is marginalise what he's done and the effect that's had on people.
They don't do it to marginalize what anyone did. I am pretty sure most people here are aware that Vic Mignogna is a somewhat excentric, overly physically expressive person. But you cannot conflate every misconduct because you cannot penalize everyone the same way since not everything has the same severty. If he does things that make people feel uncomfortable then people need to react in the right measures. Sentencing him to death (hyperbole by me, you get what I mean) is not the approach.
Exactly. We aren't just arguing semantics here, and it doesn't serve to marginalize what he did. Obviously Vic's conduct is very inappropriate.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:46 am

"WHAT HAD HAPPENED WAS THE SUN WAS IN MY EYES AND I ONLY JUST PRESSED MY CROTCH AGAINST A COMPLETE STRANGERS NECK AND TOTALLY MADE HIM FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE AND VIOLATED HIS SPACE DESPITE BEING A GROWN ADULT WHO SHOULD KNOW BETTER I SWEAR I'LL LEARN MY LESSON I JUST NEED ANOTHER SEVENTEEN YEARS OF CONVENTIONS TO DO SO BECAUSE THAT FIRST SEVENTEEN YEARS JUST WASN'T ENOUGH GOD, I"M ONLY SIXTY YEARS OLD YEESH CUT A KID A BREAK!!"

Christ, he doesn't need anybody in this thread apologizing for him. He should be tried for his crimes and permanently removed from fandom spaces--not that mind-blowing of an idea.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:48 am

JulieYBM wrote:"WHAT HAD HAPPENED WAS THE SUN WAS IN MY EYES AND I ONLY JUST PRESSED MY CROTCH AGAINST A COMPLETE STRANGERS NECK AND TOTALLY MADE HIM FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE AND VIOLATED HIS SPACE DESPITE BEING A GROWN ADULT WHO SHOULD KNOW BETTER I SWEAR I'LL LEARN MY LESSON I JUST NEED ANOTHER SEVENTEEN YEARS OF CONVENTIONS TO DO SO BECAUSE THAT FIRST SEVENTEEN YEARS JUST WASN'T ENOUGH GOD, I"M ONLY SIXTY YEARS OLD YEESH CUT A KID A BREAK!!"

Christ, he doesn't need anybody in this thread apologizing for him. He should be tried for his crimes and permanently removed from fandom spaces--not that mind-blowing of an idea.
I need some context here. Did he write or say that?
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"