Ch 165: "Help me think up some new clothes!"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Ch 165: "Help me think up some new clothes!"

Post by KBABZ » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:49 pm

So I was looking at Dragon Ball chapters on Kindle, and I found this oddity at the bottom of the title page for Chapter 165 (where Krillin, Chiaotzu and Roshi are revived at the end of the Daimao arc):
Anyone know what that's about? Also what's that RC car thing Goku's holding up? I can't find any info for it on the appropriate page on the main site.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Ch 165: "Help me think up some new clothes!"

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:12 am

There was a contest going on at the time. If you look at the title page for Chapter 163, you can see Goku in his boxers asking for the same thing. I would assume the car is the prize.

Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:34 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:There was a contest going on at the time. If you look at the title page for Chapter 163, you can see Goku in his boxers asking for the same thing. I would assume the car is the prize.
Huh that's pretty cool! What was the winning entry for it?

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:48 am

KBABZ wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:There was a contest going on at the time. If you look at the title page for Chapter 163, you can see Goku in his boxers asking for the same thing. I would assume the car is the prize.
I'm not entirely sure, but I've seen it speculated that it served as the title page for chapter 173, which came out not long after the contest deadline:

Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:57 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
I'm not entirely sure, but I've seen it speculated that it served as the title page for chapter 173, which came out not long after the contest deadline:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQgAufJVwAIhbPk.jpg
Ah, I remember that design! That's a really cool one, I like how it looks traditional and also futuristic at the same time. If that is the contest winner, I bet the artist was surprised to see it drawn on the then-new adult Goku!

tronk21
Not-So-Newbie

Post by tronk21 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:35 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:I'm not entirely sure, but I've seen it speculated that it served as the title page for chapter 173, which came out not long after the contest deadline:
I can see in the text that there's this word "発表", which means "publication" and the sale date and number of an issue are below the word. It's Issue 23 of that year and that title page for chapter 173 appeared in that exact issue. So my conclusion is that the winning entry was published in the issue and thus the constume from the title page is the victorious design. Which confirms what you have said above so there's no more need for speculation.