Australian/Madman (R4) Dragon Ball Box Sets: Review

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:36 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:
SatoSky wrote:f a proper de-interlacing is needed, I go with an AVI Synth script that smoothly de-interlaces the footage, and restores it to it's proper 24 FPS.
Mind telling me how to do that?
You need to learn AVI Synth Scripting first.

Code: Select all

DGDecode_mpeg2source("vts_01_1.d2v")
tfm(order=-1).tdecimate(mode=1)
Then apply something like that to a d2v generated file from DGIndex from the DVD you have.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

kakadu

Post by kakadu » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:10 am

what is the video quality like in this dragonball boxset. Is there a lot of grain and dirt.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:07 am

kakadu wrote:what is the video quality like in this dragonball boxset. Is there a lot of grain and dirt.
It's the exact same as FUNi's releases, except from the "ghosting" coming from converting it from 24 FPS to 30 FPS, and then back to 24 again... Kula posted the opening from the sets earlier to show how it looked.

Lobster_Rage155
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lobster_Rage155 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:28 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:
kakadu wrote:what is the video quality like in this dragonball boxset. Is there a lot of grain and dirt.
It's the exact same as FUNi's releases, except from the "ghosting" coming from converting it from 24 FPS to 30 FPS, and then to 25...
Fixed.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:48 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:
It's the exact same as FUNi's releases, except from the "ghosting" coming from converting it from 24 FPS to 30 FPS, and then back to 24 again... Kula posted the opening from the sets earlier to show how it looked.
What the hell is this 'ghosting' everyone is talking about? I don't own any PAL discs, so I can't speak to them, but you can't really take an NTSC disc and convert it to PAL without stretching the image. Its not just that the frames per second, but the resolution on PAL discs are higher as well. I'd assume both are created from some type of master (some non-interlaced master... which masters shouldn't be interlaced anyways)
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:10 pm

ect5150 wrote:
Vegard Aune wrote:
What the hell is this 'ghosting' everyone is talking about? I don't own any PAL discs, so I can't speak to them, but you can't really take an NTSC disc and convert it to PAL without stretching the image. Its not just that the frames per second, but the resolution on PAL discs are higher as well. I'd assume both are created from some type of master (some non-interlaced master... which masters shouldn't be interlaced anyways)
It basically means that two images blend into each other, so you see two partially transparent images at the same time. It's not very noticeable in most cases, but it does make the image look slightly lower quality than it otherwise would.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:10 pm

FUNimation's older DVD releases are from a Digi-Beta source, which most likely is interlaced. It's assumed that these "masters" are the same that were used to produce the PAL DVD's.

For ghosting, look at bkev's image on the previous page.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:39 am

SatoSky wrote:For ghosting, look at bkev's image on the previous page.
I saw it already. Its an interlaced image (or did I just not look at it closely).
ect5150

OutRun2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by OutRun2 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:43 am

OK here's the deal...

I don't know if this is a problem with the DVD, Madman, or both. But I was watching episode 81. The one where some King of a Village sends Goku off to fight the Demon Shura in the Demon World. Right after they show Goku walking into the other side, they cut to commercial break. On the other side of the break, the show comes back with a COMPLETELY different second half episode that has NOTHING to do with the first half and the demon world storyline.

To be more specific, the second half of the episode is about Goku and this Kid fox who is a thief and is misunderstood for being a bad guy or something. The end of the episode shows everyone at Muten Roshi's house leaving via boat to the tournament(WTF???).

So my question is, what the heck happened to the second half of the original demon world episode(#81)???? Is this a DVD glitch? Or did Madman intentionally put this on the dvd for whatever reason?

Can someone please explain? Surely I'm not the only one who's noticed this?

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:29 am

OutRun2 wrote:So my question is, what the heck happened to the second half of the original demon world episode(#81)???? Is this a DVD glitch? Or did Madman intentionally put this on the dvd for whatever reason?
Propably a problem with your DVD-player. I encountered something similar with the first "Dragonball GT - Lost Episodes"-disc from FUNi too, where it would skip to the second half of episode 3 at EVERY SINGLE SCENE-CHANGE. That only happened once, and when I used another DVD-player, it worked properly. So try checking if there's any fingerprints on the backside of the disc, use a different DVD-player, or both, and see if that helps.

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:24 am

I just tested episode 81 on my PC, and the problem isn't there.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:25 am

I've seen very little of Dragonball, and I'm thinking about putting some money down on these tomorrow.

I guess my question is, are they worth it?

Death-T
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Death-T » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:43 pm

Well of course it is,it's Dragon Ball. It's my favorite of the three series' and the sets from Madman are the cheaper then FUNimations release.
[color=blue]"Inherited Will.The Destiny of the Age and the Dreams of it's People.These will not be stopped.As long as People continue to pursue the Meaning of Freedom,They will never cease to be !"

~ 0ne Piece ~

"H-heh heh heh ... What is 'evil'? If I'm loyal to what you say is right,is that all it takes to make me 'good' ?"

~ Bakura ~ Yu-Gi-Oh ! Duel Monsters ~ [/color]

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:00 pm

Does anyone know any places where they're selling it for cheaper prices? I got some B-day money to burn.
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:46 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:I've seen very little of Dragonball, and I'm thinking about putting some money down on these tomorrow.

I guess my question is, are they worth it?
Yes. In my opinion, its just as good as DBZ (in some cases better, because its not always over the top). For me, when it hits the Ten Saga, it doesn't really slow down again.
ect5150

OutRun2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by OutRun2 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:33 am

Death-T wrote:Well of course it is,it's Dragon Ball.

Indeed. I am up to around ep #90 and it is turning out to be one of my favorite shows! Awesome fighting, brilliant humor, superb pacing, and stellar character development. Can't say I like it more than DBZ yet, but it's definitely gaining major points with me. :)

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:01 am

My local comics/anime store didn't have a copy in, so I've placed an order for the first box :D

And to tide me over, I picked myself up a copy of Path to power, which I am going to watch in mere minutes :p

Bomber Greek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bomber Greek » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:09 pm

Many, many questions:

1. Where can I get these box sets?

2. Will I ever be able to get them at a regular Wal-Mart or store that sells DVDs in America?

3. How can I tell if my DVD player is region-free?

4. Are computers region free?

5. How much money are these?

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:17 pm

Bomber Greek wrote:Many, many questions:

1. Where can I get these box sets?

2. Will I ever be able to get them at a regular Wal-Mart or store that sells DVDs in America?

3. How can I tell if my DVD player is region-free?

4. Are computers region free?

5. How much money are these?
1. & 2. If you're in America, you'll have to order these online. Best place to go would be here and order them.

3. Ummm, I don't know that one, but chances are that if you're in America, it's region 1, but you can search online for the model of your player and there should be a code for your remote to get past the region lock.

4. No, but they can also be hacked.

5. From Madman, I got these for about $180US. These are very worth it if you have the means to play it.

Bomber Greek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bomber Greek » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:26 pm

180 USD? On the site though, they're listed as 99.99 AUD, which translates to about 85 USD...