What do you like/dislike about the Season box sets?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:13 am

ETC123 wrote:To be fair on Madman, the reason people in the US get them for so cheap is because a lot of places sell far below the MSRP, whereas JBhifi and other places in Aus only sell lower to a certian degree. it's moreso our market just being way smaller (and less wasteful) than the US.

Besides which, $10 AUD for like 6-7 eps, issues aside, is a good bargin compared to just about every other Anime release in Australia (or there abouts, anyway).
You're right there, it's still a cheap set by comparison (25 bucks for four eps of Naruto :( )

I think some of the larger chains here are starting to sell under the MSRP quite substantially, at my local comics/anime store I was about to place an order for the G1 Transformers Box set, only to be told that if I could get to Target, I'd be able to pick it up 20 dollars cheaper than my retailer buys it from Madman.

Anyway, if this set does truly suck much, I'll jump off the Z bandwagon and get the Dragonball box sets and possibly the manga.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:21 am

Captain Awesome wrote: Anyway, if this set does truly suck much, I'll jump off the Z bandwagon and get the Dragonball box sets and possibly the manga.
Not a terrible idea, either. At least with the manga, you're not getting 20% of each panel sliced off. :lol:

- Bilis
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Vekurotto
Regular

Post by Vekurotto » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:28 am

I'm new here so be nice.

The dub w/Original Music, I always wanted that.
The closer to the original Dub script, (for the most part).

Dislikes:
The dub music still there.
The "remastering". On all levels it's terrible, yet people will tell you it looks amazing.
The partial redubbing of season 2, despite it features a, "Totally new script"
The lies from Funimation, "The way it was meant to be seen", "We've got JPN masters."
Not The Dragonbox

To be honest really I don't watch the dub but it showed promise with these sets until the script started reverting to the late 90's Funimation DBZ and made me rehate the dub again. And reasons 1, 2, and 4 from my dislikes section are good enough for me not to touch these sets again. And the only things I really like about these are audio. I'm glad I only borrowed these sets and didn't buy this because, in a few words, they're crap.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:05 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:[Then in that same vein, it shouldn't have been necessary for Funi to crop it in the first place.
Also, it's not even just about standards for some people here. It's about the disrespect Funi showed to fans by assuming we are all stupid, naive morons who wouldn't notice and/or care. I'm not giving money to a product that was falsely advertised. It's the principle of the thing.
Exactly.

jjgp1112, you do realize that during the press conference announcing this set, the Funi rep said, and I quote, "there's a nine-year-old born every minute". If you didn't catch it right away, this is a direct allusion to P T Barnum's famous quote "there's a sucker born every minute". They actually are calling everyone who buys the set an idiot.

I don't care about what you buy (Hell, I'm pro-filesharing), but I do care about the "why". If you're buying it thinking the picture's not terrible, or that the "remastering" did anything except ruin the image, or if you think that the cropping isn't obscuring the picture - then you're making purchasing decisions based on faulty information. That's bad.

If you really like the widescreen, or love the oversaturated colours, or want the inaccurate poorly acted dub, then that's fine. You're not a bad fan, you just have different tastes than the majority do. I bought the sets because I wanted the translated scripts. The video is utter shit but 30 bucks for 40 translated scripts is awesome. Buy what you want, but know the truth: the video is shit, and Funi thinks we're all morons.

But, hey, you're saying you've actually looked at the season sets and they look better. But you can't actually take any screenshots to prove it? If only there was someone here who had the boxset and could make lossless png screenshots.

Oh snap!

Give me episode numbers and times (as precise as possible) and I'll grab 'em.
You know what's sad? You're not even paying attention to my posts. I said I changed my TV's video settings and it looks better, dumbass :x

I'm done with this. You guys are the equivelant of wrestling's smarks - you're so over-analytical and nitpiccky that you can't even enjoy anything.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:35 pm

And you know what? I think that it's ridiculous that a consumer should have to fiddle around with their tv settings just to get a DVD product they bought to look acceptable. That's just damn incompetent and shotty. I mean bargain bin DVDs get better treatment for gosh sakes!
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:37 pm

Jerseymilk wrote:And you know what? I think that it's ridiculous that a consumer should have to fiddle around with their tv settings just to get a DVD product they bought to look acceptable. That's just damn incompetent and shotty. I mean bargain bin DVDs get better treatment for gosh sakes!
Actually, I enjoyed it the way it was, and then I figured, "Oh wait, I know how to make it look like the Japanese colors!". I used to mess around with lots of DVD's as far as colors went.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:41 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
Jerseymilk wrote:And you know what? I think that it's ridiculous that a consumer should have to fiddle around with their tv settings just to get a DVD product they bought to look acceptable. That's just damn incompetent and shotty. I mean bargain bin DVDs get better treatment for gosh sakes!
Actually, I enjoyed it the way it was, and then I figured, "Oh wait, I know how to make it look like the Japanese colors!". I used to mess around with lots of DVD's as far as colors went.
Ah well, I misunderstood that part apparently. Need more sleep. -_-
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

balrog
Not-So-Newbie

Post by balrog » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:41 pm

I'm looking at those pictures and I am actually starting to see a difference for the worse. But the thing is, on my tv they don't look at all that bad. I checked my setttings and it's all normal.. I never adjusted it for a better picture while watching the sets. I'll stop saying that the picture looks great, because I guess if you all say it is terrible there must be some truth behind it, but on my tv, it still looks amazing. So desire, since the picture looks fine to me, I think the dubbing is a bit better, and they are really cheap, I will keep buying them. There's your "why?"

Bomber Greek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bomber Greek » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:55 pm

I personally love the boxsets. I wish that there was a choice between widescreen and fullscreen though. It would make everyone happy. I mostly like them because of all the different audio options and the extremely cheap price. (If you get it for 30 dollars, which I can)

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:55 pm

Bomber Greek wrote:I personally love the boxsets. I wish that there was a choice between widescreen and fullscreen though. It would make everyone happy. I mostly like them because of all the different audio options and the extremely cheap price. (If you get it for 30 dollars, which I can)
If they had Fullscreen, I would probably buy them, but I'd still be upset at the shoddy re-mastering. It looks nice enough most of the time in motion, but I don't want those details spared and I certainly don't want to be told it's "definitive". Still, in motion, or otherwise, the Dragonbox footage puts this to shame, without a doubt in the least.

Bomber Greek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bomber Greek » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:58 pm

But the Dragon Box... isn't it only in Japanese with no subtitles and expensive? I don't know much about the Dragon Box, sorry.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:13 pm

Yeah, the Dragon Box is Japanese only with no subs. It's very expensive, wether you go for the original release or the new singles. Well expensive when compared to the season sets, not so expensive when compared to the old FUNi singles.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:43 pm

I will say one thing about the Dragon Box: It would look terrible on my Big Screen TV during daytime. I've had the TV since 1998.

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:00 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:I will say one thing about the Dragon Box: It would look terrible on my Big Screen TV during daytime. I've had the TV since 1998.
What an obscure thing to say. Would you care to explain why it would look terrible on your Big Screen TV during the daytime?

Acid_Reign
Advanced Regular

Post by Acid_Reign » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:09 pm

That's the TV's fault anyway then, not the Boxes'.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:14 pm

SatoSky wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:I will say one thing about the Dragon Box: It would look terrible on my Big Screen TV during daytime. I've had the TV since 1998.
What an obscure thing to say. Would you care to explain why it would look terrible on your Big Screen TV during the daytime?
Just about every DVD I've watched on that TV looks awful during daytime. It's dark, all saturated, and you can't see some stuff.

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:15 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
SatoSky wrote:
Just about every DVD I've watched on that TV looks awful during daytime. It's dark, all saturated, and you can't see some stuff.
So any DVD, including these Season sets, would like like that, right?

SatoSky
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SatoSky » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:16 pm

Acid_Reign wrote:That's the TV's fault anyway then, not the Boxes'.
What he said. :-)
I have the cheapest set up that you can imagine. I own an Emerson TV, which I got for free when I bought a car a couple of years ago. Yeah, free. My DVD player is a Cyberhome CH-DVD 300, which ran me about 36 bucks at Wal-mart, after tax. So, I'm guessing either your television is calibrated way too wrong, or the damn sun comes in from an open window and hits your screen directly.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:00 pm

SatoSky wrote:
Acid_Reign wrote:That's the TV's fault anyway then, not the Boxes'.
What he said. :-)
I have the cheapest set up that you can imagine. I own an Emerson TV, which I got for free when I bought a car a couple of years ago. Yeah, free. My DVD player is a Cyberhome CH-DVD 300, which ran me about 36 bucks at Wal-mart, after tax. So, I'm guessing either your television is calibrated way too wrong, or the damn sun comes in from an open window and hits your screen directly.
Yup. At night, it's never out, so it looks way better.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:20 pm

SatoSky wrote: What he said. :-)
You have no Idea how much trouble the sun gives my set up, if I want to watch anything during the daytime, it's blankets over the windows (we have super weak curtains)