Fusion needs to become obsolete.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ImmaDeker
Banned

Re: Fusion needs to become obsolete.

Post by ImmaDeker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:13 pm

Kroni_Hunter wrote:Why do you think AT created that apocalyptic future in the first place?
Given Trunks's design and general character premise? Because he thought Terminator was a baller ass movie.

Kroni_Hunter
Regular

Post by Kroni_Hunter » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:32 pm

So I guess by that logic, Terminator has no stakes either.
"An optimist thinks that this is the best possible world; a pessimest fears that this is true."

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:39 pm

Well, actually, if we were going by logic, you'd have to first address that the Cell Saga is the broad strokes of Terminator as inserted into a universe where the dead can be revived via magic and being that Terminator does not have that element in its fictional universe, then the two cannot be considered as having equivalent stakes because only one exists in a context where death is permanent.

Actually, I think the Cell Saga is literally all the broad strokes of Terminator but without the core hook and conceit that makes those concepts dramatically potent.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:23 am

Of course there are stakes. The Earth and its complete destruction is pretty much always at stake. They just have the means to put it all back together just like it was if they manage to beat the bad guy, that's all.

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:45 am

Which is my point. It's intense serialization that demands and enacts seemingly gross change in its universe, but like a sitcom, reverts back to the status quo after every go round. It's a living contradiction, structurally.

Which doesn't have to be bad, nor do I think is inherently bad. But the stakes in that are fake and a random bad future doesn't really alter that. So I don't see why certain power up modes kill tension that's not even there in the first place.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:40 am

ImmaDeker wrote:Which is my point. It's intense serialization that demands and enacts seemingly gross change in its universe, but like a sitcom, reverts back to the status quo after every go round. It's a living contradiction, structurally.

Which doesn't have to be bad, nor do I think is inherently bad. But the stakes in that are fake and a random bad future doesn't really alter that. So I don't see why certain power up modes kill tension that's not even there in the first place.
Its like that because its a fun, feel good shonen. Its not a drama.

I fail to understand the need to point out these specific aspects of the inherent style of Dragon Ball like they are a flaw. That's like watching an action movie and saying, "well, the good guys won, how predictable, that's a real flaw in the movie".

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:42 am

I can't say I was ever much of a fan of Fusion but as far as power ups go it was at least different.

The worst power up of them all (and I hope they never do anything like it again) was the special water Goku drank that gave him that huge boost. I liked beforehand how he thought it was special water so he tried really hard to get it only for it to turn out that the struggle to get the water was what gave him the power. When it turned out later that there was an actual special water then that was just real cheap.

Back to the Fusion though, I like the idea of it but both Gotenks and Vegito were kind of annoying so I'd be fine with them never using Fusion again.

If anything I'd like them to delve deeper into this God Power. I still think that what we saw could only be the caterpillar phase of the form which could explain why Beerus was disappointed.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Bullza wrote: I like the idea of it but both Gotenks and Vegito were kind of annoying
He says, with a Vegetto avatar.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:54 pm

I'm pretty sure that we will not see Gogeta of Vegetto anymore in a Toriyama stuff. Gotenks maybe, as he is a more signature character from now on, because even if Goten and Trunks are nothing compared to Goku, Vegeta and Gohan, because they don't train, but as Gotenks he is a potent character.

I've noticed something, if Vegeta will not receive SSJ-God in the next movie, then these sonorous names will remain for each character the rule of cool: God Goku, Rage Vegeta, Mystic Gohan and Super Gotenks(respective SSJ3 Gotenks).
Last edited by Low Tone G on Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:10 pm

Low Tone G wrote:I'm pretty sure that we will not see Gogeta of Vegetto anymore in a Toriyama stuff. Gotenks maybe, as he is a more signature character from now on, because even if Goten and Trunks are nothing compared to Goku, Vegeta and Gohan, because he doesn't train, but as Gotenks he is a potent character.

I've noticed something, if Vegeta will not receive SSJ-God in the next movie, then these sonorous names will remain for each character the rule of cool: God Goku, Rage Vegeta, Mystic Gohan and Super Gotenks(respective SSJ3 Gotenks).
I would rather Vegeta get SSJG than rage boosts. They were cheap asspulls with Gohan and they remain even cheaper asspulls with Vegeta.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:41 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Low Tone G wrote:I'm pretty sure that we will not see Gogeta of Vegetto anymore in a Toriyama stuff. Gotenks maybe, as he is a more signature character from now on, because even if Goten and Trunks are nothing compared to Goku, Vegeta and Gohan, because he doesn't train, but as Gotenks he is a potent character.

I would rather Vegeta get SSJG than rage boosts. They were cheap asspulls with Gohan and they remain even cheaper asspulls with Vegeta.
I agree, but as much as I hate Vegeta being a Gohan imitator, the more I hate to see over and over again that Vegeta copies Goku.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:36 pm

He says, with a Vegetto avatar.
I just picked the first one I came across that fit the requirements.

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:24 pm

The whole fusion thing at this point in time I think is pretty much useless now because just think about it. In all the times the z fighters used fusion how many times did it work. Only ONCE.Every time Gotenks is in a fight he gets beat. Vegito got absorbed by buu and his fusion was broken before he could defeat buu. Gogeta was the only one able to destroy his foe being Janemba. I guess that"s why he is my favorite out of the three. But do I think fusion should become obsolete? No not really. I doubt we will see Gogeta in another movie but I won"t give my hopes up just yet. I have always enjoyed the idea of fusion and seeing new fusions of characters made by fans I think is pretty cool. So I would not want fusion to become obsolete.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars