Goku. Strong enough to punch a hole into a planet?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Goku. Strong enough to punch a hole into a planet?

Post by Black_Liger » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:57 pm

In the BoG movie on his first fight against Beers he punched a hole through King Kai's planet which is supposed to be 10x the mass of the earth or something like that (therefore the gravity is that much stronger) i could be wrong though about that statement.

Any opinions? cuz that is badass.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Goku. Strong enough to punch a hole into a planet?

Post by rereboy » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:26 pm

He probably could. Worst case scenario, he would use his toei punch or dragon fist to get it done.

valfranx
Beyond Newbie

Post by valfranx » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:46 pm

yes:

"Angered, Beerus punches Goku hard in the gut, then sends him flying through West City with a ferocious kick. Goku stops himself mid-air, but before he can do anything Beerus is already there and puts Goku in a headlock. Beerus quickly whirls around him, kicks Goku off into a nearby forest, and gives chase. Not able to see them, Kame-Sen’nin and the others run over to a Capsule ship and fly off after the two. Goku and Beerus continue exchanging blows in the forest, when Beerus sends Goku flying with another kick to the face. Beerus flies off after him and the two end up in a desert area with numerous rock formations surrounding them. Goku and Beerus charge at each other and their punches collide, sending out an Earth-shattering shockwave. They pull away from each other and a trickle of blood falls from a cut on Goku’s cheek"

SS3 Goku punching King Kai's planet which has 10x gravity because of it's mass:

The first calculation is figuring out the mass of the planet using gravity and radius since those are the two things we know.

The next step is Volume, using the radius.

And the third is density using the mass and volume we calced.

I also have links to a few calculators/convertors I checked the answers on.

Rearanged gravity formula to calculate mass instead (had to do short hand got formula from wikipedia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_gravity

g = m/r^2

m = r^2 x g

Volume formula

V = (4/3) × pi × r^3

Density Formula

P = M/V

*Very good overall calculator

http://web2.0calc.com/

cm/g to m/kg calculator

http://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-dens ... perm3.html

Density calculator

http://www.smartconversion.com/unit_cal ... lator.aspx

Volume calculator

http://www.basic-mathematics.com/volume ... lator.html

Heres the actual calcs

g = m/r^2

m = r^2 x g

m = 0.0000156961230576^2 x 10

m = 0.0000000024636827904 earth masses

Earths mass = 5.97219 × 10^24 kilograms

5.97219 × 10^24 X 0.0000000024636827904 = 14,713,581,723,998,976

m = 14,713,581,723,998,976 kg

This considers King akis planet as 100m radius and 10X gravity.

The small number is the size of king kais planets radius in relation to Earths.

volume of a sphere is V = (4/3) × pi × r^3

V = (4/3) × pi × 100m^3 = 4188790.2047863905m^3

This is using King kais planet as 100m radius.

Knowing the mass and Volume we can get density.

P = M/V

P = 14713581723998976kg / 4188790.2047863905m^3

P = 3.512608892.9415128417291527 X 10^9 kg/m^3

Density of a white dwarf star: "The average density of matter in a white dwarf must therefore be, very roughly, 1,000,000 times greater than the average density of the Sun, or approximately 10^6 g/cm3." Which translates to 10^9 kg/m^3. So in other words it is over 3.5 times as dense as a white dwarf star.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_dwarf

If you don't believe this then I found soem other calcs.

It doesn't matter here the dimension of the planet, but the density, since we are talking about a PUNCH, not a Ki blast.

King Kai's planet is not more than 30 meters in diameter (pixels-scaling), but even if it is 40, 50 or 90 meters, the order of magnitude, physically talking, is still the same (i.e. 10).

Now, gravitational force of a planet is given by this formula:

F = (G*M*m)/r^2

G is the universal gravitational constant (6,67*10^-11 [m^3/(kg*s^2)];

M is the mass of the planet

m is the generic reference mass

r is the radius of the planet (or distance between the two masses' centers)

Since King Kai's gravitational force is 10 times the Earth gravitational force, we have Fk (gravitational force of King Kai's planet) 10 times bigger than Fe (Earth's gravity).

Fk/Fe = [(G*Mk*m)/rk^2]/[(G*Me*m)/re^2] = 10

G and m are in commons and go away, so we have:

(Mk/rk^2)/(Me/re^2) = 10

Mass is Volume (V)*Density (D), with Volume (of a generical planet) = (4/3)*π*r^3;

back to the formula:

((4/3)*π*rk^3*Dk)/rk^2 = Fk and ((4/3)*π*re^3*De)/re^2 = Fe, so:

Fk/Fe = (Dk*rk)/(De*re) = 10.

The only unknown term is Dk (density of King Kai's planet), while we know De and re of Earth and rk = 15 meters (assuming a diameter of King Kai's planet of 30 m, as previously said).

So, Dk = 1,17*10^10 kg/m^3, while density of Earth (De) is 5,5153*10^3 kg/m^3, so the density of King Kai's planet is around 2 millions of times higher than the desnity of Earth, and Goku punched a whole hole throughout this material.

The most dense material known is Osmium, which has a density of 22661 kg/m^3, and, because of that, it's also the material which is most resistant to compression (462 GPa).

King Kai's planet is still half a million times more dense than this, and thus even way more resistant to physical compression.

Even if King Kai's planet had the same gravitational force as Earth, the fact it has such a small diameter would still imply a huge density, and indeed, it would still have a density around 200000 times bigger than the density of Earth.

Dou you have some info about that planet destroyed by Gladiator?

Because it could be a planet 2 times bigger than Earth, but 100 times less dense, making this feat pale compared to Goku's striking punch.

Indeed, what really matters when talking about physical punches is the density, and AT, giving us a planet of a few meters of diameter and with a gravitational force 10 times bigger than the one on Earth, is indisputably giving us that previously said enormous level of density.

Imaging taking a cube of 1 meter of each side of the following materials:

- average Sun composition: it would weigh around 1,4 tons;

- average Earth composition: it would weigh around 5,5 tons;

- core of the Sun material: it would weigh 150 tons;

- King Kai's planet material: it would weigh around 10 millions tons;

- Neutron Star material: it would weigh around 280000 billions tons.

Punching the core of the Sun would obviously require inhuman physical strength, regardless of how much matter, in kg, you punch away; even worse would be just trying to physically scratch the surface of a Neutron Star.

Well, a not even bloodlusted Ssj3 Goku actually vaporizes, with one punch, a whole quantity of a material which, according to canon info about King Kai's planet, has thousands of times the density of the core of the Sun.

This is insane, literally insane.

Punching the Earth material for Goku would thus be a joke: for him, it would be like punching air, and the Earth would collapse on itself.

"Part of martial arts it to focus your inner energy, and that is exactly what has been stated over and over from time and time again in the series, and not just by Goku. This "focus of inner energy" is what allows them to pull planet shattering punches against opponents and not destroy the planet via excessive energy (i.e. shock-waves). Their energy is so focused that they are able to subconsciously control it without needed effort on a conscious level"

http://www.screwattack.com/news/gokus-p ... king-power

Saiyatonian
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyatonian » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:19 pm

Most likely he's planet-level in terms of striking power. Said planet also wasn't torn apart when Goku powered up to SSJ3, but when he powered up to SSJ3 on Earth, Earth nearly tore itself up to it's core. So, I think it's safe to say that King Kai's planet is above Earth's density :|
Is it possible to watch DBZ with epilepsy?

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:02 am

If he could shake the planet while going SSJ3, I would imagine so, not to mention him previously going under 100x G to train. Even if he couldn't do it barehanded, I'm sure its possible if he infused his fist with ki (like how he killed King Piccolo, when he fought Trunks with his finger, or even when Vegeta used a full-powered kick to Cell's neck)
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Saiyatonian
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyatonian » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:27 am

So Goku can destroy a planet with a punch...?

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:37 am

He can destroy an entire planet, so I don't see why he wouldn't be able to punch a hole into one.
The world's greatest.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:44 am

Saiyatonian wrote:Most likely he's planet-level in terms of striking power. Said planet also wasn't torn apart when Goku powered up to SSJ3, but when he powered up to SSJ3 on Earth, Earth nearly tore itself up to it's core. So, I think it's safe to say that King Kai's planet is above Earth's density :|
I've brought this up before but I've always believed that shaking the planet is merely due to their ki leaving their bodies very roughly. As they get used to the transformation this doesn't happen. A good analogy would be a hose pipe and water pressure. If you force the water through a smaller nozzle then the pressure is much greater and has more force behind it. But if you but on a much larger nozzle then the pressure is reduced and the same amount of water is being released but with less force. From this example the nozzle is basically the characters body and the water is their ki.

As they get used to using their forms or get used to changing their energy rapidly so does their bodies react in the same way and allow for ki to leave the body in a much easier fashion and thus it wouldn't put a strain on the environment. So I wouldn't take him not shaking up King Kai's planet to mean anything by BoG as Goku's body can probably release the ki in his body much easier than when he first demonstrated the transformation. It is the same reason why nobody above Nappa's level hasn't just instantly destroyed planets by powering up. They are just more or less used to releasing that level of energy from their body.

Saiyatonian
Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiyatonian » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:20 pm

Hitiro wrote:
Saiyatonian wrote:Most likely he's planet-level in terms of striking power. Said planet also wasn't torn apart when Goku powered up to SSJ3, but when he powered up to SSJ3 on Earth, Earth nearly tore itself up to it's core. So, I think it's safe to say that King Kai's planet is above Earth's density :|
I've brought this up before but I've always believed that shaking the planet is merely due to their ki leaving their bodies very roughly. As they get used to the transformation this doesn't happen. A good analogy would be a hose pipe and water pressure. If you force the water through a smaller nozzle then the pressure is much greater and has more force behind it. But if you but on a much larger nozzle then the pressure is reduced and the same amount of water is being released but with less force. From this example the nozzle is basically the characters body and the water is their ki.

As they get used to using their forms or get used to changing their energy rapidly so does their bodies react in the same way and allow for ki to leave the body in a much easier fashion and thus it wouldn't put a strain on the environment. So I wouldn't take him not shaking up King Kai's planet to mean anything by BoG as Goku's body can probably release the ki in his body much easier than when he first demonstrated the transformation. It is the same reason why nobody above Nappa's level hasn't just instantly destroyed planets by powering up. They are just more or less used to releasing that level of energy from their body.
Good point. Still, there's more evidence that Goku's punches ARE planetary. I'm just too tired to list it :P

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:27 pm

Saiyatonian wrote:Good point. Still, there's more evidence that Goku's punches ARE planetary. I'm just too tired to list it :P
Of course, I'm not in debate about Goku's punching ability here. I'm just pointing out that I believe shaking a planet means relatively nothing. People have been able to shake the planet since Nappa and the only reason I can surmise why people like Goku or Freeza by the end of the Namek saga can't shake the planet into oblivion is because of my theory on how ki pressure works on leaving a body. The rougher time ki takes to leave the body the more pressure it exerts on the environment. If ki has a relatively smooth time leaving the body however then it won't cause any pressure on the environment. So I'm basically saying just because King Kai's planet doesn't shake when Goku uses SSJ3 doesn't mean it is above Earth's density. Of course King Kai's planet is above Earth's density but shaking the planet or not doesn't prove or disprove that statement.

Veritas_Hammer

Post by Veritas_Hammer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:10 am

OK 1 that's not a star it's a tiny planet well trees and grass

Hold on they said he took the remaining part of the star even if it was a star the remaining portion was formed into a planet meaning it didn't form whole meaning
your calculation is invalid

since only a portion was left to make into King kai's planet yes or no... yes meaning your calculation must take account wat 30-40 meters to a percentage compared to a full grown one or the fact the King kai made into his home didn't compress and neutron stars do not create plants or gravitional flux if you say King Kai then it's his own power but he stated the planet meaning well planet

valfranx wrote:yes:

"Angered, Beerus punches Goku hard in the gut, then sends him flying through West City with a ferocious kick. Goku stops himself mid-air, but before he can do anything Beerus is already there and puts Goku in a headlock. Beerus quickly whirls around him, kicks Goku off into a nearby forest, and gives chase. Not able to see them, Kame-Sen’nin and the others run over to a Capsule ship and fly off after the two. Goku and Beerus continue exchanging blows in the forest, when Beerus sends Goku flying with another kick to the face. Beerus flies off after him and the two end up in a desert area with numerous rock formations surrounding them. Goku and Beerus charge at each other and their punches collide, sending out an Earth-shattering shockwave. They pull away from each other and a trickle of blood falls from a cut on Goku’s cheek"

SS3 Goku punching King Kai's planet which has 10x gravity because of it's mass:

The first calculation is figuring out the mass of the planet using gravity and radius since those are the two things we know.

The next step is Volume, using the radius.

And the third is density using the mass and volume we calced.

I also have links to a few calculators/convertors I checked the answers on.

Rearanged gravity formula to calculate mass instead (had to do short hand got formula from wikipedia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_gravity

g = m/r^2

m = r^2 x g

Volume formula

V = (4/3) × pi × r^3

Density Formula

P = M/V

*Very good overall calculator

http://web2.0calc.com/

cm/g to m/kg calculator

http://www.unitjuggler.com/convert-dens ... perm3.html

Density calculator

http://www.smartconversion.com/unit_cal ... lator.aspx

Volume calculator

http://www.basic-mathematics.com/volume ... lator.html

Heres the actual calcs

g = m/r^2

m = r^2 x g

m = 0.0000156961230576^2 x 10

m = 0.0000000024636827904 earth masses

Earths mass = 5.97219 × 10^24 kilograms

5.97219 × 10^24 X 0.0000000024636827904 = 14,713,581,723,998,976

m = 14,713,581,723,998,976 kg

This considers King akis planet as 100m radius and 10X gravity.

The small number is the size of king kais planets radius in relation to Earths.

volume of a sphere is V = (4/3) × pi × r^3

V = (4/3) × pi × 100m^3 = 4188790.2047863905m^3

This is using King kais planet as 100m radius.

Knowing the mass and Volume we can get density.

P = M/V

P = 14713581723998976kg / 4188790.2047863905m^3

P = 3.512608892.9415128417291527 X 10^9 kg/m^3

Density of a white dwarf star: "The average density of matter in a white dwarf must therefore be, very roughly, 1,000,000 times greater than the average density of the Sun, or approximately 10^6 g/cm3." Which translates to 10^9 kg/m^3. So in other words it is over 3.5 times as dense as a white dwarf star.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_dwarf

If you don't believe this then I found soem other calcs.

It doesn't matter here the dimension of the planet, but the density, since we are talking about a PUNCH, not a Ki blast.

King Kai's planet is not more than 30 meters in diameter (pixels-scaling), but even if it is 40, 50 or 90 meters, the order of magnitude, physically talking, is still the same (i.e. 10).

Now, gravitational force of a planet is given by this formula:

F = (G*M*m)/r^2

G is the universal gravitational constant (6,67*10^-11 [m^3/(kg*s^2)];

M is the mass of the planet

m is the generic reference mass

r is the radius of the planet (or distance between the two masses' centers)

Since King Kai's gravitational force is 10 times the Earth gravitational force, we have Fk (gravitational force of King Kai's planet) 10 times bigger than Fe (Earth's gravity).

Fk/Fe = [(G*Mk*m)/rk^2]/[(G*Me*m)/re^2] = 10

G and m are in commons and go away, so we have:

(Mk/rk^2)/(Me/re^2) = 10

Mass is Volume (V)*Density (D), with Volume (of a generical planet) = (4/3)*π*r^3;

back to the formula:

((4/3)*π*rk^3*Dk)/rk^2 = Fk and ((4/3)*π*re^3*De)/re^2 = Fe, so:

Fk/Fe = (Dk*rk)/(De*re) = 10.

The only unknown term is Dk (density of King Kai's planet), while we know De and re of Earth and rk = 15 meters (assuming a diameter of King Kai's planet of 30 m, as previously said).

So, Dk = 1,17*10^10 kg/m^3, while density of Earth (De) is 5,5153*10^3 kg/m^3, so the density of King Kai's planet is around 2 millions of times higher than the desnity of Earth, and Goku punched a whole hole throughout this material.

The most dense material known is Osmium, which has a density of 22661 kg/m^3, and, because of that, it's also the material which is most resistant to compression (462 GPa).

King Kai's planet is still half a million times more dense than this, and thus even way more resistant to physical compression.

Even if King Kai's planet had the same gravitational force as Earth, the fact it has such a small diameter would still imply a huge density, and indeed, it would still have a density around 200000 times bigger than the density of Earth.

Dou you have some info about that planet destroyed by Gladiator?

Because it could be a planet 2 times bigger than Earth, but 100 times less dense, making this feat pale compared to Goku's striking punch.

Indeed, what really matters when talking about physical punches is the density, and AT, giving us a planet of a few meters of diameter and with a gravitational force 10 times bigger than the one on Earth, is indisputably giving us that previously said enormous level of density.

Imaging taking a cube of 1 meter of each side of the following materials:

- average Sun composition: it would weigh around 1,4 tons;

- average Earth composition: it would weigh around 5,5 tons;

- core of the Sun material: it would weigh 150 tons;

- King Kai's planet material: it would weigh around 10 millions tons;

- Neutron Star material: it would weigh around 280000 billions tons.

Punching the core of the Sun would obviously require inhuman physical strength, regardless of how much matter, in kg, you punch away; even worse would be just trying to physically scratch the surface of a Neutron Star.

Well, a not even bloodlusted Ssj3 Goku actually vaporizes, with one punch, a whole quantity of a material which, according to canon info about King Kai's planet, has thousands of times the density of the core of the Sun.

This is insane, literally insane.

Punching the Earth material for Goku would thus be a joke: for him, it would be like punching air, and the Earth would collapse on itself.

"Part of martial arts it to focus your inner energy, and that is exactly what has been stated over and over from time and time again in the series, and not just by Goku. This "focus of inner energy" is what allows them to pull planet shattering punches against opponents and not destroy the planet via excessive energy (i.e. shock-waves). Their energy is so focused that they are able to subconsciously control it without needed effort on a conscious level"

http://www.screwattack.com/news/gokus-p ... king-power
The Truth is with facts one cannot just bear false treasure BACK IT UP WITH SCANS OR EPISODES :D

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:21 am

People trying to use real life science to analyze DBZ make me laugh.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ThePrinceOfSaiyans
Beyond Newbie

Post by ThePrinceOfSaiyans » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:14 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:People trying to use real life science to analyze DBZ make me laugh.
I agree. It is hilarious.

Although, the above topic in my mind is debatable, I believe he is strong enough to, but I don't know if a hole would appear if you know what I mean?

A planet is rather large, so I don't know if the initial impact would back a huge hole but I definitely think he has the strength to smash through almost anything and leave a large crater in it.

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Kaio's planet is really dense, sure, but it's also really small. Goku CAN'T punch a hole through Earth.
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:13 am

TheMightyOzaru wrote:Kaio's planet is really dense, sure, but it's also really small. Goku CAN'T punch a hole through Earth.
Goku can do anything the plot says he can. Just as long as he ends up showing up everyone else and making them seem worthless (one of the few things I hated about BoG...).

If the plot says someone needs to punch a hole through the earth, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, etc. are going to try and fail and then Goku will do it :roll:
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:28 am

WHY ARE YOU BRING SO MUCH MATH INTO DBZ!? I'm sure Toriyama didn't do math to discover GOku can punch a hole in a planet. Toriyama and Toei just thought to show how strong Birsu is compared to Goku which shows Goku is capable to punch a hole in a planet 10x mass of Earth.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Hell I don't think Toriyama cared. I have no idea why the Red Ribbon Army we're such trouble for everyone. One blast of Muten Roshi's Kamehameha and their base is gone. Muten Roshi, Krillin, and Yamcha can tank bullets and move faster than the eye can see so they should be able to take everyone out. Yet the whole thing is made into such a big deal.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!