Why do some people think Piccolo surpassed the Cell Jr in the Buu saga?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Why do some people think Piccolo surpassed the Cell Jr in the Buu saga?

Post by dragonball0900 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:37 pm

I just want to ask this. We know that Piccolo is inferior to the Supreme Kai, who is superior to Dabura. That's stated in Daizenshuus and the manga clearly. For instance, in the Super manga, the Supreme Kai was completely defeated by a ki blast from Dabura, I know it was off guard, but it was enough for Babidi to be later be able to defeat Supreme Kai, which means that the ki blast Dabura throw to him was too much for Supreme Kai. Which means that there was a big gap between Supreme Kai and Dabura.

There's also SSJ Gohan, who was able to fight Dabura in the manga as a SSJ, meaning that a Gohan who is much weaker than his Cell Saga counterpart was still a lot stronger than Supreme Kai.
Also, Goku from the Cell Games is probably around the same strenght as Gohan in the Buu arc. So Goku would also be a lot stronger than the Supreme Kai. However, we don't know how Supreme Kai would face a Cell Jr. It's possible that Supreme Kai might win. Remember that the Cell Jrs were a bit above Vegeta and Trunks, and they were shocked to see Goku's full power at the Cell Games, so Supreme Kai could easily be around that tier, or possibly a bit stronger.

Then there's Piccolo who's obviously implied to be below him in the Daizenshuu, manga and anime, where Piccolo said that their dimentions are too different, implying there's indeed a gap between Piccolo and the Supreme Kai. So Piccolo is possible to be at least 50% Cell Games Goku, which is below a Cell Jr.

Also, Piccolo was never shown to be doing that well against the Cell Jr in the manga, he was only able to stand up, Cell said that the only ones who were able to fight the Cell Jrs were Vegeta and Trunks, no mention of Piccolo. So I doubt that Piccolo would surpass a Cell Jr later, specially since we know that the warriors have their limits (like Goku said after exiting the ROSAT). I guess people followed the anime while making these statements of Piccolo > Cell Jr, when in the manga, that's not really the case.

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Why do some people think Piccolo surpassed the Cell Jr in the Buu saga?

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Your other topic about the strength of Universe 7's Kaioshin basically covers the same group of characters you're trying to compare (Cell, Piccolo, Dabra, etc). You can easily tie the two conversations together, rather than clutter up the section.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)