Why is the gap between SSJ2 and SSJ3 so small?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Neko Majin

Why is the gap between SSJ2 and SSJ3 so small?

Post by Super Neko Majin » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:57 pm

The gap between unlocking Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan 2 is massive. You need an absolutely enormous power chain to get from one to the other. On the other hand, someone can be just a little bit stronger than they were when they got Super Saiyan 2, maybe not even strong enough to curbstomp, and they can get a whole new SSJ level. Why?
Last edited by Super Neko Majin on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gog
I Live Here

Re: Why is SSJ3 so easy to get?

Post by Gog » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Its. Not. Because in the entirety of the whole canonical series, only two people have ever managed to get it, the magical imbecile Gotenks, and Goku. If it was any easier, then Vegeta would have gotten it

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:08 pm

It took Goku 7 or so years to get it.

Gotenks needed the power of 2 kids who were already strong and could go Ssj, a massive power up from the fusion & 2-3 weeks of training in the ROSAT.

Goku loses all his power after using it and Gotenks defuses after 5 minutes so not only is it the hardest from the reach but it's so hard to use that it's arguably a disadvantage to use it in battle compared to Ssj2 (only taking the manga into account).
Gog wrote:If it was any easier, then Vegeta would have gotten it.
Vegeta's base is far beyond what's required to use it so he could if he wanted to.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:27 am

Gog wrote:Its. Not. Because in the entirety of the whole canonical series, only two people have ever managed to get it, the magical imbecile Gotenks, and Goku. If it was any easier, then Vegeta would have gotten it
You DO understand Vegeta got God Ki and SSB ON HIS OWN , Goku didnt , right ????

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:37 am

DSB wrote:
Gog wrote:Its. Not. Because in the entirety of the whole canonical series, only two people have ever managed to get it, the magical imbecile Gotenks, and Goku. If it was any easier, then Vegeta would have gotten it
You DO understand Vegeta got God Ki and SSB ON HIS OWN , Goku didnt , right ????
So what? We're talking about Super Saiyan 3 here.

TheZFighter
Regular

Re: Why is the gap between SSJ2 and SSJ3 so small?

Post by TheZFighter » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:12 am

The gap between SSJ2 and SSJ3 is huge. SSJ3 isn't easy to get and it is just as hard to maintain.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:22 am

sintzu wrote: Vegeta's base is far beyond what's required to use it so he could if he wanted to.
Su~ure Vegeta could get it. Honestly now that there's god ki, and SSB he has no goddamn reason to even think of getting a useless form
Last edited by Gog on Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:25 am

Gog wrote:Honestly now that there's god ki, and SSB he has no goddamn reason to even hink of getting a useless form
If a villain could get stronger fighting god Ki then him and Goku would be forced to go back down to 3 or 2.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:27 am

sintzu wrote:
Gog wrote:Honestly now that there's god ki, and SSB he has no goddamn reason to even hink of getting a useless form
If a villain could get stronger fighting god Ki then him and Goku would be forced to go back down to 3 or 2.
The chance's are so unlikely of that happening. That I almost salivate the chance of that happening, considering that Vegeta doesn't actually have SS3 it'll force him to team up with Goku. Something not even Freeza could do :(

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:51 am

Gog wrote:
sintzu wrote:
The chance's are so unlikely of that happening. That I almost salivate the chance of that happening, considering that Vegeta doesn't actually have SS3 it'll force him to team up with Goku. Something not even Freeza could do :(
If we go by the manga continuity, vegeta supposedly kept his mutated SS2 state which is stronger than SS3 goku..
Even if Anime dosen't confirm he kept it, it dosen't deny it either..
Both ways Vegeta doesn't need locks longer than his very height
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:03 am

Gog wrote:The chance's are so unlikely of that happening.
You're probably right.

other than forcing Goku and Vegeta to use their older forms, it'll bring them closer to everyone else' level which will give them an excuse to use them in a main fight.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:01 pm

It's only easy to achieve in the extended video game universe. In reality, we still have no idea how it's unlocked, so we can't say how difficult it actually is.
Retired.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:41 pm

I think SSJ3 is a fluke transformation. There was zero indication that Goku could pull it off in the Majin Boo arc, yet he did it just by... powering up. And Gotenks got a bit lucky thanks to being a fused character.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:23 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I think SSJ3 is a fluke transformation. There was zero indication that Goku could pull it off in the Majin Boo arc, yet he did it just by... powering up. And Gotenks got a bit lucky thanks to being a fused character.
I'd say you're right in that its a fluke in that Goku probably discovered it by accident in the afterlife but the later stuff clearly says that Goku knew 3 existed beforehand. Toriyama just fails at having that retroactively make sense when Goku specifically powers up to 2 (or his full power at the time) so he can win his fight against Vegeta quickly.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Big Green The Yoshi
Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Green The Yoshi » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:41 am

It isn't. The SEG multipliers are garbage.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:45 am

Big Green The Yoshi wrote:It isn't. The SEG multipliers are garbage.
Boi, Boi, Boi, a 10% difference in power is all you need for a stomp. 2x, and 4x is more than enough

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:06 am

DSB wrote: You DO understand Vegeta got God Ki and SSB ON HIS OWN , Goku didnt , right ????
Vegeta got it because he trained with Whis. That's not some big accomplishment or some "hold" over Goku. He could never get god ki on his own.
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:08 am

SaiyanZ wrote:
DSB wrote: You DO understand Vegeta got God Ki and SSB ON HIS OWN , Goku didnt , right ????
Vegeta got it because he trained with Whis. That's not some big accomplishment or some "hold" over Goku. He could never get god ki on his own.
Adding to the fact that if Goku never did the ritual and trained with Whis for 6 months like Vegeta did, Goku would've gotten the same accomplishment. SSJG is just a shortcut to god tier for pure hearted Saiyans.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:37 am

DSB wrote:

Umm no.

Vegeta got it by training with Whis. Had he never done that he never would have achieved it. Whether Whis personally unlocked the transformation or he found it on his own during training has nothing to do with the fact that without said training he NEVER would have accomplished it.

Also Goku never had the chance to unlock it in that fashion so to say Vegeta did anything "better" or "with less help" is just being a Vegeta fanboy.

As to the original question:

It actually is a huge gap. Lets say your power level is 2 and you have a 50x multiplier. You now have a PL of 100. Okay now lets say your PL is 1 million with a 4x multiplier. It would be 4 million.

Even though the modifier on example A is much larger you only gained 98 PL where in example B with the smaller modifier you gained 3 million PL. The modifier itself for SSJ3 may be smaller but the actual gap between it and 2 is massive.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"