Saying Attack names out loud is there a specific reason?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Saying Attack names out loud is there a specific reason?

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:17 pm

I have always wondering why do most characters say their attacks out load? Are the attacks somehow unable to be used until they do? Out of verse I can get it but In verse I am curious hence why I have come here a place I rarely verge into :P

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Re: Saying Attack names out loud is there a specific reason?

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:57 pm

You know it seems to be primarily an earth thing. Aside from Vegeta and the Ginyus, only characters from earth really go around shouting attack names.

In universe the only reason I can think of is its a battle cry, telling your enemy the name of the dangers move your going to beat them with. It also helps make your attack more well known if everyone can hear what its called.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:36 pm

Maybe it makes the attack and user seem "cooloer". 8)
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:45 pm

Goku fires a Kamehameha underwater, so saying the attack name isn't required.

Honestly, I feel like this might be one of the Wuxia tropes Kunzait goes on about. You see it pop up fairly often in other Shonen as well.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:19 am

They do it for the same reason Obi-wan bothers to wiggle his fingers when he mind-tricks someone. It's not, strictly speaking, necessary (in either case), but it's how they first learned it. Those actions, be they wiggling fingers, or Goku pressing his fingers to his forehead to teleport, or calling out an attack name, were what they did while they were applying their energy or adopting the specific mindset or activating whatever mechanism they have to do what they were going to do. So it's what they're used to. Nowadays, Goku can teleport without the fingers and fire blasts without calling them out, but he still does so because those physical cues still make it somewhat easier to apply his energy however he was going to.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:27 am

Tectorman wrote:They do it for the same reason Obi-wan bothers to wiggle his fingers when he mind-tricks someone. It's not, strictly speaking, necessary (in either case), but it's how they first learned it. Those actions, be they wiggling fingers, or Goku pressing his fingers to his forehead to teleport, or calling out an attack name, were what they did while they were applying their energy or adopting the specific mindset or activating whatever mechanism they have to do what they were going to do. So it's what they're used to. Nowadays, Goku can teleport without the fingers and fire blasts without calling them out, but he still does so because those physical cues still make it somewhat easier to apply his energy however he was going to.
Look no offense man and I don't mean to put this so bluntly or to be mean here, but there's no way around it: you're literally just talking out your ass right now. Please stop that. If you just don't know something then that's perfectly fine, but just don't then make up shit from wholecloth. Because everything you just said was total nonsense based on nothing but whatever fanfic you just made up in your head. Or at the very least, just preface it with "hey I've no idea, but here's my personal fannon theory that I think makes sense". But don't just haul off with fan theory stuff like this as if its series lore: that's what the Dragon Ball Wiki is for.

I apologize up front for laying it on that thick and its obviously nothing personal, but I've simply gotten tired a long ways ago of people constantly doing stuff like this in DB discussions (making up stuff in place of a rudimentary understanding of the series basic genre fundamentals) and it never getting commented upon or corrected.

Sorry, anyway...

So yes, obviously this is all another Wuxia thing. I went into the concept of"mudras" in a much older thread (not the Wuxia one though, I probably should add this to it as an addendum) from maybe a year ago or so: mudras are the actual name for what martial artists in Wuxia fiction do when they move their hands and arms about in various motions in order to help gather and build chi/ki, and its of course what characters in Dragon Ball (and other wuxia-derived manga/anime like YYH, HnK, etc) are likewise doing. Here's my older post on the matter in question (Derek Padula also talks a lot about mudras in his writings):
Kunzait_83 wrote:Anyways, being of Buddhist origin, mudras are one of those areas where both Chinese and Japanese martial arts myth and a totally different culture (in this case Hinduism) overlap and converge by sheer association with the mutual religious lore. In Hinduism mudras are used primarily for religious rituals, prayers, and chants, as well as in conjunction with breathing and meditative exercises within Yoga. The central idea of mudras in Yoga exercises shares many direct similarities with its Chinese and Japanese martial arts applications: as a means of channeling and harnessing and directing the body's flow of Ki/Qi/Chi (in Hindu lore called Prana). In Yoga/Hinduism, its mostly for purely meditative/religious purposes and attaining spiritual nirvana: in Chinese and Japanse martial arts myth, its obviously geared towards combat.

I went into a ton of detail on the importance of deep, controlled breathing exercises and Meridians in the harassing, control, and usage/application of supernatural Ki techniques in Wuxia fiction and myth (and which also have a decidedly less mystical basis in real world martial arts) over in the first page of the giant Wuxia thread: Mudra hand gestures are another technique that go directly hand in hand with those principals as a means of helping to focus and direct the flow of Ki throughout one's Meridian pathways for use in a wide array of attacks from mystical Ki bolts (like Trunks' Burning Attack) or even in basic, albeit powerful, hand strikes. Many basic martial arts hand attacks have their original basis in Mudra gestures, such as open knifehands, finger pokes, and palm strikes, and Wuxia stories very often depict fighters' utilizing Mudra gestures to gather and release both offensive and defensive Ki techniques with routine regularity.

Also while I'm at it, there's the matter of Goku's two fingers to the temple when he performs the Shunkan Idou (Instantaneous Movement). That one's NOT just merely some vague, general Wuxia trope, but a very specific one from a specific Wuxia story that Toriyama basically copied and pasted from: Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils, a Louis Cha wuxia literary classic (published in 1963), which features the exact identical technique in all but name (in DGSD its translated as the "Shifting Stance"). Two fingers to the temple, focus on another Ki/Chi source somewhere nearby or far off, and warp right to it (you can even take along other passengers for the ride via physical contact).

This I did certainly go into in the actual Wuxia thread-proper. Here's the excerpt (complete with gifs from one of the old DGSD film adaptations):

(BTW, needless to say this is hardly the only lone example of a distinctive supernatural martial arts technique that Toriyama/Toei wold lift directly from classic Wuxia writings and film; I go into plenty of others in the wuxia thread)
Kunzait_83 wrote:Another of Goku's techniques directly lifted from the Wuxia writings of Jin Yong is the Shunkan Idou (Instantaneous Movement) which is ripped directly from the “Shifting Stance” from Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils. Everything from the “index and middle fingers to the temple” hand gesture to the specifics in how the technique works via “locking onto” a specific Ki source and being able to transport others along with you by touch is copied verbatim from Demi-Gods' Shifting Stance, which is among its more well known and notable supernatural martial arts techniques.

Image Image
And finally, yes it is not just a Wuxia, but a generalized Kung Fu/martial arts fiction trope to call out/yell out the name of one's attacks as you do them. Its basically just another form of Kiai, a battle yell to help further bolster and enhance the power/chi behind the attack.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:50 am

Rule of cool.

However, it can be argued that, since Ki attacks are spiritual in nature, shouting the attack might be a tool to focus and bring forth even more power to the technique (like in real life martial arts sometimes shouting helps).

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:10 pm

Which reminds me, most battle anime are so obnoxious with how they constantly have to keep shouting out their attack names Especially with say One Piece and Fairy Tail.

I know they do it in Dragon Ball too but not nearly to the same extent. Yet another reason why I prefer Dragon Ball over the others.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:35 pm

rereboy wrote:Rule of cool.

However, it can be argued that, since Ki attacks are spiritual in nature, shouting the attack might be a tool to focus and bring forth even more power to the technique (like in real life martial arts sometimes shouting helps).
Actual footage of Kunzait_83 posting on Kanzenshuu.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:09 pm

Kunzait_83 wrote:
rereboy wrote:Rule of cool.

Actual footage of Kunzait_83 posting on Kanzenshuu.
I didn't state anything that disagrees with what you said or disregards it.

You stated out-of-universe reasons, namely the tropes found in Wuxia and other martial arts series, and you also mentioned some in-universe aspects, like the hand movements helping them focus and their relation with real martial arts, and chants with more or less the same function.

On the other hand, I mentioned the "rule of cool", which is an out of universe reason applicable to not only Dragon Ball but other series like the ones you indirectly mention, and then I mentioned possible in-universe reasons for actually shouting the names of the techniques, like helping them focus their power, which is basically what you said but with less context.

Our posts aren't in conflict, they complement or echo each other. Just because I didn't comment on your post it doesn't mean I have disregarded it or disagree with it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Bullza wrote:Which reminds me, most battle anime are so obnoxious with how they constantly have to keep shouting out their attack names Especially with say One Piece and Fairy Tail.

I know they do it in Dragon Ball too but not nearly to the same extent. Yet another reason why I prefer Dragon Ball over the others.
The phenomenon occurs in Japanese comics and animation in general because these mediums are based in coded storytelling techniques. For example, think of a transformation BANK, where the same animation is used repeatedly for a recurring event. This triggers a specific reaction from the viewer, which is then built upon by the following events. Sometimes it's just your usual victory, but others it might be a breaking from the usual formula, like when a transformation or attack is interrupted mid-stream. That sort of event happens only after the viewer is accustomed to the code being used repeatedly, establishing within the subconscious a specific reaction that an interruption can rattle the viewer, achieving the intended effect. Another example, of course, is the insert song. The 'insert song' tells you that something big and exciting is going to happen, especially if it's the main theme of the series. Conversely, if the insert song is a dark piece it can give the viewer a sense of dread.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:17 pm

I always thought it was related to the Kiai, from martial arts, where shouting before your attack is actually a technique to throw your opponent off guard. A great example of this in-show would be when Goku yells out Kaio-ken, and his opponents from Nappa, to Vegeta, to Freeza totally freak out and then a strong attack usually follows.

But out-of-universe, calling attack names is at least in anime as old as Mazinger Z in the 1970s. I've heard explanations like the attack names help kids get involved in the show more as they chant the attacks along with their favorite character.

mcdjbeatz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdjbeatz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:57 pm

My hypothesis is that saying attack names aloud helps concentration, for example with the kamehameha saying it aloud might help gather ki for the attack

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:41 pm

I'm starting to feel Kunzait's pain. :(

Can we please, please, please read some of the responses before contributing? Some of the things folks are tossing out as a hypothesis or random (baseless?) speculation is already covered in excruciating detail above with the sources to back it up.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:12 pm

I think it might be related to martial arts where the user screams or yells. Kiai
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Captain Strawberry wrote:I think it might be related to martial arts where the user screams or yells. Kiai
Yeah, and I bet it's some wuxia thing too. :lolno:

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:24 pm

Holy crap I totally forgot I started this... :lol: Some pretty interesting reads!