What is the general fan consensus on Broly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: What is the general fan consensus on Broly?

Post by TheMikado » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:42 am

RehBeh wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
TheMikado wrote: There was already a thread about how his motivations have been incorrectly assessed by the fandom, and seems to have flown over the heads of them at 30,000 ft. Again it may be a case of people just parroting what they read off the internet.
What exactly are his oh so complex motivations then?
Bwaa! Kill! More! Kakarotto! Die!
That sums it up pretty much.
And this is why we can't have nice things...

Anyway the thread was here:
viewtopic.php?p=1236120#p1236120

I do not entirely buy it, but it does seem that the funimation Dub implies that Broly remembers Goku as an infant moreso than the original did.
If taken in context with this other theory of mine, we both come to the same conclusions through careful analysis. Broly's instincts from his LSSJ focus in on Goku, rather than Broly himself remembering Goku.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37299

Kishido
Banned

Post by Kishido » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:01 pm

Awesome design and villain but shit character... if you can call it character.

RehBeh
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by RehBeh » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:09 pm

TheMikado wrote:
RehBeh wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote: What exactly are his oh so complex motivations then?
Bwaa! Kill! More! Kakarotto! Die!
That sums it up pretty much.
And this is why we can't have nice things...

But that IS Broly's character :lol:
It wasn't a serious response.
GT wasn't that bad
DBZ Macky wrote:
RehBeh wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: He is, its just that no one holds him in high esteem, even in-universe.
He must feel awful. Being a God and no one respects him. Just sad.
And Zamasu thought he had it bad. Fuckin' edgy Kaios thinking about "Justice" and shit just because they got strong by chance.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:48 pm

I like Broly, his motivation isn't all that great but hes also a movie character, none of them really have much going for them. Also for movie 8 we had Paragus doing the more typical bad guy stuff so I give Broly a pass on that. Its kind of like how Hirudegarn is literally a monster, but we had Hoi and his evil plans for a bit more story.
Now if Broly had been a main bad guy with a arc like Freeza, Cell, or Buu then I would have a problem with it. Though if he had that and a personality I think he would have worked good for a main villain.

Hit-Man

Post by Hit-Man » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Meh, he's ok. He's very flat in my opinion. Not much else going upstairs besides yelling KAKAROT and wrecking the Z fighters. His wrestling fighting style is very different. Brutal, powerful, I like it.
I don't joke. I'm not here to make friends. And I don't care if you like me or not. It's my opinion and only my opinion matters. Not yours.

-Love,
Hit-Man

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:48 am

I wonder how legit his galaxy busting feat is, even Super Perfect Cell only had enough power to destroy the Solar System.

Saturnine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Saturnine » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:12 am

Good thing about Broly is that he has literally no characterization, which made this female homage character possible.

It obviously wouldn't fly if Broly had anything more to him than his big muscles and high powerlevel, but these two things are literally the only things his fanboys care about. That's why they should eat up the new girl character with no downing :D

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:22 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
TheMikado wrote: There was already a thread about how his motivations have been incorrectly assessed by the fandom, and seems to have flown over the heads of them at 30,000 ft. Again it may be a case of people just parroting what they read off the internet.
What exactly are his oh so complex motivations then?
His motivations aren't complex, but I don't think they are what most of the fan base seems to think. Here's a topic of mine where I talk about movie 8 and movie 10, about Broly remembering Goku or not and his motivations: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37309

To quote myself, in that topic:
rereboy wrote:
Nowhere in the entire movie is it stated or implied that Broly "hates" anyone. His reaction to Goku is explained by Paragus when he says: ""Could it be Kakarot? Does this mean that Broly's instints as a Saiyan have been awakened by Kakarot's power and he is starting to overcome the limits of my control?". That's the explanation. Goku's power is stimulating Broly's saiyan instincts. That's it.

As for why Broly is so keen to destroy, kill and be evil in general, that is also answered in the movie 23 minutes and 32 seconds in, with Paragus saying: "Broly was the very model of a saiyan. As he began to develop, the extraordinary battle power he was born with increased and turned savage as I, his father, felt terror towards him". In other words, his overwhelming power is what is makes him act savagely.
rereboy wrote:
I think the issue with movie 10 is divided in two:

1- From the creator's perspective:

The guys that made movie 8 are the ones that made movie 10, so it can't really be argued that they didn't know movie 8. However, I think that the direction that went with Broly is focused on a severely traumatized Broly due to the final events of movie 8.

Even in movie 8, even though in the entirety of that movie Broly remains fully logical and speaks normally, without any signs of a cognitive deficiency, it's clear that Broly's mind is not exactly normal, due to the fact that his power had taken on basically a persona by itself and consumed whatever other persona Broly had or was besides it as time went by. But, with the final events of movie 8, his mind becomes even more abnormal. Now, his mind that has been consumed by the persona brought forth by his power has to deal with the concept of severe defeat and pain, which is something that his persona is simply not equipped to deal with.

Because of this, Broly is basically in crysis with the events and with himself, which makes him very unstable and way more focused than he ever was on what caused all this: Goku.

This is why there is such a stark difference in his demeanor compared to movie 8. Unlike what many fans incorrectly remember, in movie 8, Broly remained fully logical and kept speaking normally until the end of the movie. But on movie 10, with all this going on with him, his mind isn't functioning more than on basic level of understanding and is being driven by pain and hate towards Goku for having defeated him. That causes him to just utter Goku's name, misunderstand things and perhaps even have his mind play tricks on him.

So, in short, unlike movie 8, movie 10 is a revenge movie in which a more unstable Broly who is not equipped to deal with the pain and the defeat he has suffered, tries to achieve his revenge by lashing out at what reminds him of Goku.

None of this contradicts movie 8. In fact, the events of movie 8 are what justify and create this change in Broly.

2- From the fanbase perspective:

The problem is that the fanbase tend to confuse the elements of both movies. Many tend to think that damaged, in crisis Broly, that could only say "Kakarotto" from movie 10, exists in movie 8, with many even thinking that Broly acted that way in movie 8. But that's simply not true. Broly is very different in movie 8 compared to movie 10 and it's the events and damage taken by Broly in movie 8 that cause Broly to change for movie 10. This notion has eluded much of the fanbase and confusion about the different elements and how Broly is before and after his defeat at the hands of Goku ensues.