The Size of Planet Earth

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

s-shield

The Size of Planet Earth

Post by s-shield » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:34 pm

Are there any official statements, maps, interviews, etc, confirming whether or not Dragon Ball's planet Earth is the same size as ours?

I was just thinking, given that DB's Earth only has one continent, which seems pretty easy and quick to get around on, maybe their Earth is smaller than ours, consequently making their moon smaller as well, which would help make moon/planet-busting easier, lol.

Anyone know of anything like that?

saunasolmu
Beyond Newbie

Re: The Size of Planet Earth

Post by saunasolmu » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:03 pm

Roshi's house was over 10,000km away.

s-shield

Post by s-shield » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:07 pm

saunasolmu wrote:Roshi's house was over 10,000km away.
from... lol

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:21 pm

s-shield wrote:
from... lol
I'm pretty sure the radius of our earth is only 6,000km.

Our earth was once a single continent too, y'know. Doesn't mean the size was any different. People need to stop trying to lowball Dragon Ball's power with these baseless headcanons that things are smaller.

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:32 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
s-shield wrote:
from... lol

Our earth was once a single continent too, y'know. Doesn't mean the size was any different. People need to stop trying to lowball Dragon Ball's power with these baseless headcanons that things are smaller.
Toriyama stated that the moon was 384,000 km away from Earth just like in real life, so all the other sizes are probably to scale as well.

s-shield

Post by s-shield » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:52 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:
s-shield wrote:
from... lol

Toriyama stated that the moon was 384,000 km away from Earth just like in real life, so all the other sizes are probably to scale as well.
An answer to my question AND no insults. A first for this forum. Thank you, lol.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:07 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
s-shield wrote:
from... lol

We can't go through the Earth, we can only travel on the surface, so the radius (which goes through the Earth) doesn't mean much in that scenario. What matters in terms of human travel is the circumference of the Earth, and the circumference of the Earth is 40.075 km, which means that one person to get to the exact same spot on the other side of the planet would have to travel a little over 20.000 kms.

As for Dragon Ball, nothing indicates that the planet is any different in terms of size. Although there is no definite confirmation, I think we should assume that it's the same size.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:30 am

nickzambuto wrote:People need to stop trying to lowball Dragon Ball's power with these baseless headcanons that things are smaller.
Who says that thinking DB's Earth being smaller is lowballing the series?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:51 pm

s-shield wrote:
An answer to my question AND no insults. A first for this forum. Thank you, lol.
Me too, though :lol:

I think Earth is the same size as it is in the real world, similar to what the Earth would have looked like with Pangaea.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:52 pm

I don't think there's anything official about Earth's size other than Toriyama's comment about its distance from the moon (previously answered but I'm providing the source).
I'm usually perplexed with the resistance towards Chun's deed. It's not as if it were easy for him. By comparison, Piccolo didn't exert himself as hard with the same task.
s-shield wrote:
from... lol
Using the map I provided for reference: It's from Area A-2: North Central to Area C-4: South East Islands.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:59 pm

Unless stated otherwise, we assume DB earth is same size as our earth.Plus there is that thing with kami's house being over 10 k KM from where Freeza landed.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:15 pm

Well there is the scene where Taopaipai rides a pillar 2000 km. I think someone scaled that on the map once and came up with a figure that was pretty much the same as the size of RL Earth.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

SkuLLR3D

Post by SkuLLR3D » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:44 pm

I skipped BoG and RoF arc in the manga and anime so I can't say if it's accurate for those versions, but in the RoF movie when Freeza's soldier pulled up earths map, it circled the while globe and I only saw Europe, Asia, and Africa

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:24 am

Who says that thinking DB's Earth being smaller is lowballing the series?
The entire purpose of the "Dragonball's Earth/moon is smaller" fan-theory is lowballing the series' characters.

Basically every time I see the idea brought up it's as a possible explanation for why it's "so easy" for this character or that character to blow up Earth or its moon, or how they can do it at all -- like they don't believe those characters should be able to blow up a moon/planet the size of our real-life ones, so the Dragonball version must be smaller. Heck, there's even a "that would help explain all the planet/moon busting" comment in the very first post of this very thread!

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:23 pm

Two points on Earth are farthest from one another when anti-diametrically opposite so the farthest points on Earth are apart from each other half the Earth’s circumference. In chapter 336 it is stated that the distance between the place Mecha Freeza arrived and Kame house is “over 10,000km”. This means that even if you say this distance is the distance between the two farthest points on DB's Earth, the DB’s Earth’s circumference would be over 20,000km i.e. half of what it is in the real life (40,075km).

Such a lowballing would make the DB characters at most 8x weaker from what they would have been have you just assumed the Earth in Dragonball is the same size as in the real universe. So instead of a power output of 2x10^32Joules to destroy the Earth they will need "only" 2.5x10^31Joules. That is still more than 100x the energy you to destroy the real moon. Frankly I see no reason to make such a lowballing assumption whatsoever as it won't make the characters any less absurdly powerful or destructive in the real universe.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:10 pm

nickzambuto wrote:
s-shield wrote:
from... lol

Half the circumference is little over 20000 km tho

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:43 am

GigaDrill wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:
s-shield wrote:
from... lol

Seems a science lesson is in order...

In a circle like object, say the Earth in this case, the Radius is the measurement from the circle's center to it's outermost ring.

Diameter, is the measurement from one side of the circle to the other, straight through.

Circumference, is the measurement of the outermost ring itself.

So if the Earth's Radius is 6,000 Km. then that means that if you went straight through the planet from one side to the other, you would have to dig 12,000 Km. straight through. I recommend taking more than a few ice packs with you though.

And about planetary size. According to Toriyama, Dragon Ball's moon is the same distance from it's Earth as the real one is. This means that Earth is also the same size. Why? Because the more mass something has, the greater it's gravitational pull. If the planet was smaller, the moon would float away. If it was larger, the moon would be pulled towards it and crash into it.

The moon's size wouldn't have as much to do with Earth's gravitational effect on it, as it's fairly small in comparison to the Earth. It would have SOME effect but not really enough to matter. It's more about distance from a gravitational source than it is size, which Toriyama himself said is the same. As such, unless gravity works differently in Dragon Ball, we can assume that both Earth and the Moon are the same size.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:02 am

cheddarsword wrote:
GigaDrill wrote:
nickzambuto wrote: I'm pretty sure the radius of our earth is only 6,000km.

In a circle like object, say the Earth in this case, the Radius is the measurement from the circle's center to it's outermost ring.

Diameter, is the measurement from one side of the circle to the other, straight through.

So if the Earth's Radius is 6,000 Km. then that means that if you went straight through the planet from one side to the other, you would have to dig 12,000 Km. straight through. I recommend taking more than a few ice packs with you though.

And about planetary size. According to Toriyama, Dragon Ball's moon is the same distance from it's Earth as the real one is. This means that Earth is also the same size. Why? Because the more mass something has, the greater it's gravitational pull. If the planet was smaller, the moon would float away. If it was larger, the moon would be pulled towards it and crash into it.

The moon's size wouldn't have as much to do with Earth's gravitational effect on it, as it's fairly small in comparison to the Earth. It would have SOME effect but not really enough to matter. It's more about distance from a gravitational source than it is size, which Toriyama himself said is the same. As such, unless gravity works differently in Dragon Ball, we can assume that both Earth and the Moon are the same size.
You tell me Cheesy.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:58 pm

cheddarsword wrote:
GigaDrill wrote:
nickzambuto wrote: I'm pretty sure the radius of our earth is only 6,000km.

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to say that DB earth is smaller or larger or whatever than real world Earth
To clarify:
- Roshi's island was 10k km away from their current location
- nickzambuto implied that it could mean that DB Earth was actually larger than our earth based on radius alone even though the distance from Roshi's island to Freeza's landing point was more likely than not based on arc length instead of chord length since the earth is still round, and people don't quite travel in through one side of the planet and out the other yet.
- I therefore challenged that thinking, saying that given the actual distance that it could take to travel from one spot on earth to another through, say, flying around over earth's surface meant that wasn't necessarily the case.
The bulk of the evidence supports the belief that the volume, mass, gravity, etc. is pretty much the same with our Earth and its Moon as Dragon Ball's Earth and Moon anyways.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:25 am

GigaDrill wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:
GigaDrill wrote: Half the circumference is little over 20000 km tho

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to say that DB earth is smaller or larger or whatever than real world Earth
To clarify:
- Roshi's island was 10k km away from their current location
- nickzambuto implied that it could mean that DB Earth was actually larger than our earth based on radius alone even though the distance from Roshi's island to Freeza's landing point was more likely than not based on arc length instead of chord length since the earth is still round, and people don't quite travel in through one side of the planet and out the other yet.
- I therefore challenged that thinking, saying that given the actual distance that it could take to travel from one spot on earth to another through, say, flying around over earth's surface meant that wasn't necessarily the case.
The bulk of the evidence supports the belief that the volume, mass, gravity, etc. is pretty much the same with our Earth and its Moon as Dragon Ball's Earth and Moon anyways.
Guess I wasn't specific. That post wasn't really aimed at you. I simply added your post into it because you actually knew what you were talking about, whereas nickzambuto, who the post IS aimed at, didn't seem to.