Is King Cold stronger than Freeza?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Is King Cold stronger than Freeza?

Post by Cipher » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:46 am

I doubt if Toriyama even remembered that line.

Anyway, I don't think it's something that requires a lot of effort to bring together. The only normal, non-force-of-nature God-of-Destruction to ever rough Freeza up before that point was his father. No big.

But yeah, I've also always taken that line to refer to some kind of corporal punishment when he was young. Cold seeming to cede control over to Freeza doesn't make much sense to me if he's stronger when they're both adults, given how their hierarchy works. And most other references and lines back up Freeza being slightly stronger, so there you go.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:13 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Darkprince410 wrote:
Even Freeza is no match for the God of Destruction Beerus, no matter what he does! Since they both destroy stuff, they got along reasonably well, but one time Freeza had his clock cleaned when he got carried away and made Beerus angry.
If we really want to make the "first person to lay a hand on me" thing work, we could assume that Goku's use of a punch on Frieza means that Beerus probably cleaned Frieza's clock by using a ki attack rather than a melee one.
The thing is though is that Freeza doesn't say that his parent was the only other person to "lay a hand" on him or anything. He says that Goku is the only person apart from his parent to ever "get dust" on him, which doesn't specify or suggest it needing to be a physical blow.

Juub
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Juub » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:27 am

KBABZ wrote:
Juub wrote:
KBABZ wrote: If we really want to make the "first person to lay a hand on me" thing work, we could assume that Goku's use of a punch on Frieza means that Beerus probably cleaned Frieza's clock by using a ki attack rather than a melee one.
Or just assume it was a retcon which it was.
To me, backstory and retcon aren't the same thing. When the "Frieza got his clock cleaned by Beerus" thing was said, I don't think Toriyama had "Oh yeah I'm retconning that one line" in mind, he was fleshing out Beerus and showing his relationship with Frieza.
He probably didn't but it's extremely doubtful he even remembered he had ever written Frieza had only gotten dirtied once and it was by his parents. It was not intentional but it changed the established continuity which makes it a retcon.