Talking about: "Dragon Ball el manga legendario" ¿Could be considered an official source or not?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

München X Cisf

Talking about: "Dragon Ball el manga legendario" ¿Could be considered an official source or not?

Post by München X Cisf » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:15 pm

First, I apologize because my English is poor and is not my language, now, what I want to ask is; ¿Is this guide official?

Well, first, the fascicles are published by Shueisha agreeing with the cover, and they say the original language of the fascicles is japanese.

© 2007 by BIRD STUDIO/SHUEISHA Inc.
Original Text and Design was created in Japan in 2007 by SHUEISHA Inc., Tokyo.
Text by KISOUSHA Inc., Tokyo, Japan.
Designed by BANANA GLOBE STUDIO Co.Ltd., Tokyo, Japan.
Based of Akira Toriyama's <<DRAGON BALL>>.

© 1984 by BIRD STUDIO/SHUEISHA Inc. All rights reserved.
Translation rights in Spanish Language licensed by Shueisha Inc.
to Editorial Salvat, S.L. in Spain.

© 2008, Editorial Salvat, S.L. C/ Mallorca, 45, 08029 Barcelona/

Although they mention that the original text is in Japanese, only the versions in Spanish and in French in internet actually.

Spanish

French

In Hachette's website they mention worked closely with Shueisha for the elaboration of the fascicles.

Hachette travaille en étroite collaboration avec l'éditeur Japonais du manga Dragon Ball: Shueisha. C'est Shueisha qui crée le contenu des fascicules et développe les moules des figurines spécialement pour cette collection.

DRAGON BALL THE LEGEND OF MANGA @ 2007 by BIRD STUDIO/SHUEISHA Inc.

Hachette has working closely with the Japanese of the Dragon Ball manga publisher: Shueisha.
It's Shueisha which has creates the contents of the fascicles and develops the figurines specially for this collection.

DRAGON BALL THE LEGEND OF MANGA @ 2007 by BIRD STUDIO/SHUEISHA Inc."

Like for example Daizenshuu, they (Shueisha) create all the content in the fascicles.

Another interesting proof that Hachette's people actually worked "very closely" with Shueisha, is because of their close relationship with Akira Toriyama. I made a video with almost all the intrusions of Akira Toriyama in those fascicles, including images of his house, his drawings, his animals and vehicles. He also gives interesting information about the characters of Dragon Ball, Saiyans, humans, cyborgs etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26y0Fwm ... e=youtu.be

Hachette's website:

http://web.archive.org/web/200811200949 ... mero-1.htm

Hachette and Toei:

http://www.toei-animation.com/en/search/node/hachette

And in case that thing is not "official" I ask; ¿Why would not it be? if this "guide" is published by Shueisha as Daizenshuu, Super exciting guide and the others. Perhaps there is an official source that belies that. If that's the case could any of you give me proofs that is not official. Thanks.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Talking about: "Dragon Ball el manga legendario" ¿Could be considered an official source or not?

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:31 pm

I know English is not your primary language, so I apologize if this explanation is confusing (and I especially apologize if it comes off as patronizing to anyone!).

"Official" simply means that they have the legal rights to produce something. Everything that Shueisha and Toei approve and have their name on somewhere is "official". FUNimation's 1996 English dub? Official. Harmony Gold's original 1980s English dub attempt? Official. The character profiles in video games? Official. The Daizenshuu books? Official. Episode descriptions on the NickToons website? Official. The Big Green dub? Official. The Cantonese VCDs? Official. The action figure with Kuririn and a machine gun? Official.

All of these are "official". They were all produced by real companies that paid the appropriate licensing fees and have pre-existing arrangements with the rights-holders in Japan to produce these items.

That particular product you've shown here in photos appears to be official. I think a good comparison would be something like the Dragon Ball articles (and even interviews) in the American edition of Viz's Shonen Jump magazine. Those are all "official" but do not have any original Japanese sources; they are exclusive and original to the English-language product.

That is a completely separate question from "should I consider this information accurate and truthful?" (and especially "... from an in-universe perspective?").

And that's... often too big a discussion to have, because different fans are on different pages. Some don't want to hear anything at all if it wasn't printed in the pages of Weekly Shonen Jump between 1984 and 1995. Some only want to hear it if it came from a Japanese book. Some only want to hear it if they can independently confirm some type of direct involvement or sign-off from Akira Toriyama himself.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::