Saiyan hair color theory.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cheddarsword
Regular

Saiyan hair color theory.

Post by cheddarsword » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:14 am

I have a theory about saiyan hair color. For this theory, please assume that all combatants are of equal power levels when in base form unless otherwise stated.

It may in fact not be "black".

If you think about it, there's several "colors" that the human eye can't see. Infra-Red and Ultra Violet being the main two as they lie just outside of the "visible" spectrum.

NOTE: The visible spectrum is Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. Or ROYGBIV for short. Also, the order of the colors actually matters in reality.

Now, the colors we can't see appear as black to us. And as we all know, saiyan hair can be used as a form guide.

Red: Super Saiyan God/Super Saiyan Rose/Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta
Yellow: Super Saiyan and it's extensions.
Green: Legendary Super Saiyan (exclusive to said saiyan)
Blue: Super Saiyan Blue/Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan

At first, I attempted to place the forms' power levels based on the "Roy G Biv" chart. That didn't work out so well, as Super Saiyan Rose is supposedly a step above super saiyan blue, provided the contenders are at equal power in base form, and Super Saiyan is in fact the weakest of the powered up forms, setting base kaioken aside.

And then a thought popped into my head. What if the "Roy G Biv" chart DOES apply, but is REVERSED when using godly ki?

Think about it. Super Saiyan is weaker than Legendary Super Saiyan, (Yellow Vs. Green) and SSB is weaker than SSRose (Blue Vs. Red/Pink)

The only problem I can think of with this theory is that Super Saiyan God is left unaccounted for.

But it's just a theory. A SAIYAN theory. (I immediately apologize to Matpat for that)

There's actually a lot more to colors than what I've described here. Such as the proven fact that colors do not exist as we think they do. Also, as the wavelength for colors decrease, their radio frequency increases and vice versa. Interesting stuff really.

So... thoughts?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Saiyan hair color theory.

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:31 am

Umm... neat theory? Yeah, I think you're putting way too much thought in, but I guess that's what the fun hypotheses are about. Keep it up, I guess.
Retired.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:43 am

If your theory is put to work, it fails right as your assumption of switch comes into play..

Think about it, godly ki follows the vibgyor, won't SSG be stronger than SSB?

Your hypothesis places the Red and pink in the same realm of existence, that is completely false,
Pink dosen't exist! Pink is not a colour, it's the result of the primary color receptors in your eyes firing together, almost going towards white but not there yet..

Think about it like this, your eyes can only see three colours
Red
Blue
Green

Our brain gives us the illusion of other colors because of a addition or subtraction of these alone, it's really good at sorting out such mess..

Pink illusion is created when red is fully being detected by your cones, think of it as 100℅ red, but the green and blue are also being detected simultaneously, not at a 100℅ but 80-85℅ , this almost goes towards pure white but as it's not there..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:31 am

Ki Breaker wrote:If your theory is put to work, it fails right as your assumption of switch comes into play..

Your hypothesis places the Red and pink in the same realm of existence, that is completely false,
Pink dosen't exist! Pink is not a colour, it's the result of the primary color receptors in your eyes firing together, almost going towards white but not there yet..

Red
Blue
Green

Our brain gives us the illusion of other colors because of a addition or subtraction of these alone, it's really good at sorting out such mess..

Pink illusion is created when red is fully being detected by your cones, think of it as 100℅ red, but the green and blue are also being detected simultaneously, not at a 100℅ but 80-85℅ , this almost goes towards pure white but as it's not there..
You seem to have the gist of the theory then. Basically, pink would contain the blue and green frequencies with red being the primary color. As such, that would indicate that more power is flowing through the body than simply red or blue alone.

But you are correct, as reversing the spectrum for godly Ki makes it fall apart when including Super Saiyan God itself.

Wait, are we sure that Super Saiyan Rose even has godly Ki? I mean, look at 17. He matches Super Saiyan Blue's power and he's a cyborg. So... is it possible that Rose is just an alternate form of super saiyan and indeed does not use godly Ki?

if that's the case then it throws the theory into a bit of a limbo. But at the very least, it seems that god Ki saiyan forms appear to work like a mood ring, as opposed to the monotony of super saiyan's yellow... with hair extensions/retractions for SS3... Also, LSS is a canonical thing now, so there's green to account for.

however, my statement about saiyan hair not necessarily being "black" is quite a bit harder to prove (no facts to support) or disprove (no facts to deny).

Basically, think of Saiyan hair and eyes as a focusing crystal that can channel various colors. This isn't too far fetched when you consider that color doesn't actually exist, but is instead our eyes' perception of frequencies.

Therefore, channeling the color "black" could indeed be considered "null" mode.

Thinking about it like this could also explain why Trunks' hair stayed yellow when in his Blue Rage form. As a mixed Saiyan, his hair is also partly human. He could only be capable of channeling yellow at most.

I do wonder if Gohan would be a bit different in that regard then, since we know for sure that he was born with a tail. Perhaps he's closer to saiyan than he is human?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:06 am

cheddarsword wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:If your theory is put to work, it fails right as your assumption of switch comes into play..

Red
Blue
Green

You seem to have the gist of the theory then. Basically, pink would contain the blue and green frequencies with red being the primary color. As such, that would indicate that more power is flowing through the body than simply red or blue alone.

But you are correct, as reversing the spectrum for godly Ki makes it fall apart when including Super Saiyan God itself.

Wait, are we sure that Super Saiyan Rose even has godly Ki? I mean, look at 17. He matches Super Saiyan Blue's power and he's a cyborg. So... is it possible that Rose is just an alternate form of super saiyan and indeed does not use godly Ki?

if that's the case then it throws the theory into a bit of a limbo. But at the very least, it seems that god Ki saiyan forms appear to work like a mood ring, as opposed to the monotony of super saiyan's yellow... with hair extensions/retractions for SS3... Also, LSS is a canonical thing now, so there's green to account for.

however, my statement about saiyan hair not necessarily being "black" is quite a bit harder to prove (no facts to support) or disprove (no facts to deny).

Basically, think of Saiyan hair and eyes as a focusing crystal that can channel various colors. This isn't too far fetched when you consider that color doesn't actually exist, but is instead our eyes' perception of frequencies.

Thinking about it like this could also explain why Trunks' hair stayed yellow when in his Blue Rage form. As a mixed Saiyan, his hair is also partly human. He could only be capable of channeling yellow at most.

I do wonder if Gohan would be a bit different in that regard then, since we know for sure that he was born with a tail. Perhaps he's closer to saiyan than he is human?
The thing is, back cannot be channeled, black isn't a colour, it's the absence of it..
Anything and everything is absorbed by the surface causing nothing to escape, giving the surface a black look,

As of yet, there hasn't been made any distinction in achievable forms in half human hybrids, only that they can get it even faster than regular Saiyans..

The hair isn't turning yellow actually when super Saiyan is achieved, the aura gives it the feel of yellow, there hair is still black..
It only stands up.. this particular fact had been discussed before and is mostly accepted as the fact, there are many proofs of it but that for another discussion..

By perfecting it, they managed to make the aura completely stick to their body, notice how the clothes how yellowish as well? That's the aura giving it the colour..

Think of it as wrapping a yellow gift wrap around a black object..

Take trunks's case now, he had a blue aura around him as well, so he is capable of given giving out blue aura, considering aura is responsible for color change, your theory here is out as well..

Trunks from shouldn't be bothered being explained, till it's in the manga as well it's not an official from in my book, just an aesthetic choice..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:18 am

[spoiler]
Ki Breaker wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:

Red
Blue
Green

The thing is, back cannot be channeled, black isn't a colour, it's the absence of it..
Anything and everything is absorbed by the surface causing nothing to escape, giving the surface a black look,

As of yet, there hasn't been made any distinction in achievable forms in half human hybrids, only that they can get it even faster than regular Saiyans..

The hair isn't turning yellow actually when super Saiyan is achieved, the aura gives it the feel of yellow, there hair is still black..
It only stands up.. this particular fact had been discussed before and is mostly accepted as the fact, there are many proofs of it but that for another discussion..

By perfecting it, they managed to make the aura completely stick to their body, notice how the clothes how yellowish as well? That's the aura giving it the colour..

Take trunks's case now, he had a blue aura around him as well, so he is capable of given giving out blue aura, considering aura is responsible for color change, your theory here is out as well..

Trunks from shouldn't be bothered being explained, till it's in the manga as well it's not an official from in my book, just an aesthetic choice..
[/spoiler]

I spoiler tagged the quote since it's getting rather lengthy.

I had forgotten about true black not being able to be channeled. But black isn't always "black". Like I said in my first post, colors outside of the roygbiv range are perceived as black by human eyes due to them not being recognized.

Probably the biggest instance of this taking place in the series would be Mystic Gohan. His hair looked black but in fact it could have been a color that humans just can't see. I know it's conjecture but it is indeed based in scientific fact.

And about the color change being brought on by the aura. The aura isn't always visible, so this threw me for a loop at first. Then I just assumed that, visible or not, the aura was indeed always there. At least, enough to cause the change in color.

Well, I guess that about kills the theory then. I was going to say that various colors of light projected onto a black surface don't work the same as if projected onto a "null color" surface but after looking at some images, that would be wrong.

Hmm... So then... if this is the case, why does Trunks' super saiyan form have yellow hair? Yellow projected onto purple should appear brown. Projected onto blue, it should appear green.

Also, why then do the eyes turn green? Not sure if it's shown in the manga, but in the anime, the eyes turn green before the hair turns yellow. Goku's eyes also change color before becoming an Oozaru (that's in the manga. I recently read through that section). Super Saiyan God's eyes are DRASTICALLY different even setting color aside, with SSB's eyes matching the proper color just like SSG. Not to mention Rage transformations (LSS form, Blue Rage Trunks and Grade 3 Trunks immediately after being achieved) don't have an iris at all.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:28 am

cheddarsword wrote:[spoiler]
Ki Breaker wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:

[/spoiler]

I had forgotten about true black not being able to be channeled. But black isn't always "black". Like I said in my first post, colors outside of the roygbiv range are perceived as black by human eyes due to them not being recognized.

Probably the biggest instance of this taking place in the series would be Mystic Gohan. His hair looked black but in fact it could have been a color that humans just can't see. I know it's conjecture but it is indeed based in scientific fact.

And about the color change being brought on by the aura. The aura isn't always visible, so this threw me for a loop at first. Then I just assumed that, visible or not, the aura was indeed always there. At least, enough to cause the change in color.

Well, I guess that about kills the theory then. I was going to say that various colors of light projected onto a black surface don't work the same as if projected onto a "null color" surface but after looking at some images, that would be wrong.

Hmm... So then... if this is the case, why does Trunks' super saiyan form have yellow hair? Yellow projected onto purple should appear brown. Projected onto blue, it should appear green.

Also, why then do the eyes turn green? Not sure if it's shown in the manga, but in the anime, the eyes turn green before the hair turns yellow. Goku's eyes also change color before becoming an Oozaru (that's in the manga. I recently read through that section). Super Saiyan God's eyes are DRASTICALLY different even setting color aside, with SSB's eyes matching the proper color just like SSG. Not to mention Rage transformations (LSS form, Blue Rage Trunks and Grade 3 Trunks immediately after being achieved) don't have an iris at all.
This is the reason why going so deep produces no results, it's a moot point to being with..

Thinking if it as a universe with similar rules but not same will be the best bet,
Dragonball world simply dosen't have such rules..

For why the eyes tune green..
Dark blue and yellow make green, I guess you can try to extend it to black as well, not the best thing to do but it will help you sleep at night..

We can also say eyes undergo a physical change when a Saiyan transforms..

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:56 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
cheddarsword wrote:[spoiler]
Ki Breaker wrote:

[/spoiler]

This is the reason why going so deep produces no results, it's a moot point to being with..

Thinking if it as a universe with similar rules but not same will be the best bet,
Dragonball world simply dosen't have such rules..

For why the eyes tune green..
Dark blue and yellow make green, I guess you can try to extend it to black as well, not the best thing to do but it will help you sleep at night..

We can also say eyes undergo a physical change when a Saiyan transforms..
That last line about the eyes seems to works best, as seems to align well with the Super Saiyan God form's changes.

I still think there's something to be explored with this however, as Trunks appears to be an anomaly. Bulla too if she goes super saiyan at some point. Who knows? Later down the line we may end up with a Boruto type extension of the Dragon Ball series.

Also, the Videl factor is something to look at. Y'know... during the SSG ritual? And I'm gonna leave it at that. For now.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:50 pm

I think they are simply colors and by that virtue theories concerning color can be constructed around then that while realistic were never intended.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"