Is anyone else mad Goku learned Mafuba for nothing?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

Is anyone else mad Goku learned Mafuba for nothing?

Post by mecha3000 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:50 am

Goku learned Mafuba in Super and I was hyped that he would at least get to use it against Zamasu. And he does in the manga, which is why I prefer it. Still, in the anime: He never uses it besides during his training so it's a complete waste of screentime. Instead, Trunks gets it from a pointless YouTube video of Piccolo performing it (which in and of itself is pointless because now we have two characters who are not of the Turtle School using it, which ruins the exclusive nature of the technique). And I know Tien ended up using it, but he learned it from Roshi - which made him a psuedo-Turtle student.

My point is: I hope Goku gets to use it in the anime during the Universal Survival Arc, but I feel like he won't and many fans wouldn't want this because they'd feel it'd be pointless. Besides, in the current Super ending - Roshi is shown performing it so it might be Roshi who uses it, not Goku. So yeah, at least the manga corrected this. Also, I hope to see Mafuba as a technique for Goku in future video games.

Gog
I Live Here

Re: Is anyone else mad Goku learned Mafuba for nothing?

Post by Gog » Fri May 05, 2017 3:29 am

I would rather Trunks using the Mafuba against Zamasu rather than Goku using it against Zamasu. Thematically Trunks using it is leaps and bounds better than Goku using it. But, I do believe that Trunks should have learned the Mafuba from Future Master Roshi, but what can you do when Toriyama's outlines have Goku learning the technique.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri May 05, 2017 4:19 am

Naah, he can always seal ChiChi for good now, which will inevitably happen once I make this meme famous!!!
MUHUHAHAHA
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Kassavo

Post by Kassavo » Fri May 05, 2017 9:30 am

No, and this mindset is a problem within this community. Why be mad that he learned a new technique? He can always use it later on; we have no idea what the writers have in mind.

Furthermore, I'm the opposite of mad that he went to Roshi to learn a technique that could take down a being 100X more powerful than the person teaching the technique (roshi). It was a moment that shows brute strength isn't all, because no matter how much stronger they were than Big Z, he was immortal at the end of the day.
Strive to be the best you possible. Work hard to surpass your limits and make improvements that will better your chances of success in life. Always seek new challenges no matter how tough of an opponent stands before you. This is the philosophy which all Gokuists live by. #Gokuism #Gokuist www.ayomrnelson.com

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri May 05, 2017 9:43 am

Kassavo wrote:No, and this mindset is a problem within this community. Why be mad that he learned a new technique? He can always use it later on; we have no idea what the writers have in mind.

Furthermore, I'm the opposite of mad that he went to Roshi to learn a technique that could take down a being 100X more powerful than the person teaching the technique (roshi). It was a moment that shows brute strength isn't all, because no matter how much stronger they were than Big Z, he was immortal at the end of the day.
This. I have no issue with somebody learning a move.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri May 05, 2017 9:51 am

Same. No issues with it. I think it's a great lesson to be learned: sometimes things don't work out.

Hell, even the Genki-Dama didn't actually "work" as intended until Attempt Numero Tres. The first time it almost sorta kinda worked out even though Goku got smacked and had to trade off the energy to Kuririn but still didn't really give them the perfect win; the second time it just flat-out didn't work well enough; and then it was only after getting restored to full power that he was able to push it back to defeat Boo.

Was it a waste to learn it in the first place? I'd say not! Each time it was a worthwhile attempt.

(Perhaps the few movie uses added up to it feeling overused, but that's not super fair in the analysis.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri May 05, 2017 10:21 am

I don't like that he even tried to learn it, to be honest. It just doesn't really mesh with his personality. At least have him complain about having to use it! I don't have a problem with it failing, either. In terms of the narrative, I think having Zamasu successfully sealed would have left too many doors open for a return and to have him return would just go nowhere. He and Black were best together and doing their thing and to try and keep that going would have just diminished them.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 05, 2017 4:47 pm

He can still use the technique later. So, no, I'm not mad that the Mafuba didn't get the instant pay-off that it did in the Future Trunks arc.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri May 05, 2017 7:35 pm

Considering its not a usable fighting technique, he can't do anything with it. Also with his personality, he wouldn't want to just seal away a villain if they were stronger than him, he would want to fight them because of it. Its absolutely useless to him.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat May 06, 2017 10:04 am

Lord Beerus wrote:He can still use the technique later. So, no, I'm not mad that the Mafuba didn't get the instant pay-off that it did in the Future Trunks arc.
Plot twist: He uses it on both Zenos and saves the multiverse
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat May 06, 2017 10:48 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:He can still use the technique later. So, no, I'm not mad that the Mafuba didn't get the instant pay-off that it did in the Future Trunks arc.
Plot twist: He uses it on both Zenos and saves the multiverse
Now that would be awesome.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun May 07, 2017 12:27 pm

Zenos are far too cute. I'm pretty sure good food and rollercoasters can persuade them to be nice :lol:

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Sun May 07, 2017 12:51 pm

Not mad but I do find it odd that they didn't just have trunks learn it if he was the one that was going to use it. Why have Goku learn it and then teach it to Trunks secondhand?

But at least he knows it. Now, should an enemy rise up that's more powerful than him, he at least has a trump card.

[][][][][][][][]

Is that evil guy too strong for you? Don't have the time to learn a new form or running too low on energy to pull off your latest hair color change?

We have a solution!

Head to your nearest Turtle Hermart and pick up a fresh pot of Ma Fu Ba!

Learning how to use it is a breeze, and there's almost no prep time!

Contain evil in a matter of minutes! It even works on demons and corrupt gods!

Ride the Evil Containment Wave! It's Ma Fu Banzairific!

Brought to you by Turtle Hermart, A Kame House company. Serving your Evil Containment needs for over 200 years!

MasakoX: MARKETING!

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sun May 07, 2017 5:32 pm

They should have had Trunks and Mai go back into the past instead of Goku and Vegeta. So then Trunks could go and learn it from Roshi.