Can Frieza sense power levels now?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mallaard

Can Frieza sense power levels now?

Post by mallaard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:10 am

I'm just now catching up with the Ressurrection F episodes of Super on Cartoon Network, and from the way Frieza's been talking and acting, it seems to me like he can actually sense Goku's fighting power now. A major point of the original Frieza Saga was that he and his minions were incapable of sensing a warrior's fighting spirit, unlike the Earth-trained warriors. So does anyone else feel like he's somehow learned to do that, or am I getting the wrong impression? Just curious what you guys think.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Can Frieza sense power levels now?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:23 am

It wouldn't be the first time someone had learned that skill.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

mallaard

Post by mallaard » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:38 pm

I know Vegeta learned it after his fight with Goku, but they made a point of emphasizing the fact. I just thought it was a little odd that Frieza would learn it without some sort of mention, like "Now I can sense you without my scouter!" especially considering how dependent he and his army were on scouters in the past.

Okora

Post by Okora » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:34 am

Doubt it, also I remember him not being able to tell where goku was with the dust. He knew they were stronger because they seemed stronger not because he could sense energy

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:34 am

Okora wrote:Doubt it, also I remember him not being able to tell where goku was with the dust. He knew they were stronger because they seemed stronger not because he could sense energy
He said "judging from the energy I'm sensing". And when could he not find Goku in the dust?

Okora

Post by Okora » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:40 pm

dragon boss z wrote:
Okora wrote:Doubt it, also I remember him not being able to tell where goku was with the dust. He knew they were stronger because they seemed stronger not because he could sense energy
He said "judging from the energy I'm sensing". And when could he not find Goku in the dust?
I don't recall him ever saying that. Also It would be impossible for him to sense goku even if he could sense energy now because of god ki

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:16 am

Okora wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:
I don't recall him ever saying that. Also It would be impossible for him to sense goku even if he could sense energy now because of god ki
No, Freeza does say just that -- it's around the moment Golden Freeza and SSB Goku are face to face for the first time. And later in the series you also see Hit doing the same thing with SSB + KK Goku; sensing God ki looks to be more of a matter of sheer power than anything else.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:39 am

No, Freeza cannot sense ki yet.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:00 pm

I don't see why he can't. Pretty much every fighter, even Yamcha, can sense power levels. That was seemingly universally adopted by the Android attack. There's no reason why Freeza can't learn how to sense a power level.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:47 pm

It certainly seems that he can:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

It is possible to learn how to sense god ki. Goku, Vegeta, and Hit have all done it on various occasions and in Vegeta's case the Oracle Fish actually said he'd learned how.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Okora wrote: I don't recall him ever saying that. Also It would be impossible for him to sense goku even if he could sense energy now because of god ki
It's basically indicated that it doesn't just require you to be a deity in order to sense the ki of a god, but rather you can also do it if your battle power is high enough that you're in the ballpark of the gods. Hit, while himself not being a god, could clearly sense the godly ki of Ssj Blue, and Toppo, not a god yet, could also sense the ki of Ssj Blue. Freeza's dialogue is clear cut enough that there's no real way it could be construed as an error.

mallaard

Post by mallaard » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:12 am

Cool, I was wondering if there had been a line of dialog or something I might have missed and it seems like there was, so thanks guys for clarifying this for me. My follow up question would have been whether his sensing SSB Goku's ki was a contradiction of what Whis had said earlier about sensing godly ki, but that seems to have been addressed too, so thanks!

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:16 pm

the characters have said that although they cannot feel the godki if they feel a characteristic heat I am going to suppose that is that

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sun May 03, 2020 6:33 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:16 pm the characters have said that although they cannot feel the godki if they feel a characteristic heat I am going to suppose that is that
As mentioned above, it's readily indicated that if a character without godly ki is strong enough, they can still sense godly ki (and not just sense the heat or pressure related to it). Hit was able to sense the ki of Super Saiyan Blue Goku and Vegeta (even to the point of being able to sense Goku's ki multiplying when using the Kaiou-ken), and both Jiren and Toppo (when Toppo wasn't in his "Hakaishin form") could also sense the ki of Goku and Vegeta while they were in Blue.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon May 04, 2020 1:30 am

Freeza can indeed sense power levels now. That’s why he doesn’t use a scouter anymore, and that’s how he was able to sense that Broly had immense latent power.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical