Goku's Ability to Read Minds

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Goku's Ability to Read Minds

Post by omaro34 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:10 pm

On Namek, when Goku first arrived in the battlefield against the Ginyu goons, Goku was able to read Krillin's mind. He grabbed Krillin's head, and after a moment knew everything that's transpired prior to his arrival.

It can be a handy technique. For example, he could have done it for Future Trunks when he first arrived to tell them about the upcoming Android threat. That could have avoided the awkward situation where he had to separate him and Trunks from the group making them suspicious about the young warrior. Would have been more efficient, and a great way to hide secrets.

Supreme Kai was able to do it when he read Vegeta's mind. Why didn't Goku use this technique again?
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Goku's Ability to Read Minds

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:10 pm

In universe = Goku just forgot he could read minds and never used the technique

Out of universe = Toriyama arbitrarily gave Goku the ability to read minds so he wouldn't have to waste time to retell the events of Namek up until the point Goku arrived on the battle scene. It was a technique that Goku was given for the sake of convince and not to used for any further reference.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:38 pm

Does Goku specifically need to make physical contact to read their minds?
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:15 pm

Goku is not the only one. Piccolo can also read minds. He did so in vol. 15 or 16 and then never did it again. Whenever I mention it someone tries to have an excuse that it was because of Kami but a) Piccolo had no idea it was Kami and b) Piccolo also was not surprised about the mind reading so it was a conscious decision of his to read the mind. And this mind reading given to Cell would have been as much of a problem as a Kaiouken Cell.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:20 pm

Muten Roshi too could read minds, as he did with Namu, and Korin too could as he read Goku's mind. It was said that every expert martial artist could read minds, though when Kaioshin did so in Buu arc Vegeta was really surprised (I don't remember about the others). Maybe Saiyans never showed such a thing, and like with ki manipulation it got Vegeta by surprise. Out of universe I'm sure it was just Toriyama forgetting about it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:52 pm

On Namek, I felt that it was also used to give Goku a sort of "ohmaikaio he's SO STRONG he's spiritually on another level!" sort of feel. And yeah, storytelling convenience.

On the Trunks moment, as a reader I vastly prefer hearing about Trunks' story and why he's there "manually" as it's more interesting to see Goku's reaction blow-by-blow.

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:30 pm

He's sparingly used it besides the time with Krillin when he arrived on Namek. He also intercepted the telepathic conversation between Kami (lightyears away) and King Kai (in another dimension entirely) while he was fighting Frieza. Arguably, he also used it when he was talking to Dende in the Buu Saga after Bulma had summoned Shenron to restore everyone killed after Majin Vegeta had attacked the tournament.

And it's not just him. Wouldn't the image training Gohan and Krillin did on the way to Namek count, too?
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:12 am

Ah, Namek.

Good times.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:00 am

A lot f techniques only made one showing and we never saw them again. The final flash for example is a classic yet we only got it once.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:16 am

sintzu wrote:A lot f techniques only made one showing and we never saw them again. The final flash for example is a classic yet we only got it once.
Technically, the Final Flash was used before then on Namek, but the attack wasn't given a name and in the anime it was blue.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:17 am

emperior wrote:Muten Roshi too could read minds, as he did with Namu
Everyone always seems to forget this. Goku reading minds is not anything significantly unusual or unprecedented. Roshi said anyone with good enough ki training could do it.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:11 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
emperior wrote:Muten Roshi too could read minds, as he did with Namu
Everyone always seems to forget this. Goku reading minds is not anything significantly unusual or unprecedented. Roshi said anyone with good enough ki training could do it.
Exactly, and neither Roshi nor Korin had to touch a person to read their mind. I think the reading mind thing had to be dropped as it could have been OP in battle, and it would have also been quite difficult to write some drama. For example, Future Trunks would have never been mysteryous if everyone could read his mind. Also, Goku wouldn't have been tricked by Raditz if he could read his mind. And it was always a plot-tool which never had any importance except for speeding things up.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical