Why was the Genki Dama able to defeat Kid Buu?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Why was the Genki Dama able to defeat Kid Buu?

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: And yet when Goku destroyed the top half of his body, where is core is located (in his head), he still regenerated.
He changed the location, I dunno ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ a continuity error
More like a flat out plot hole.
It still isn't, destruction of head ≠ destruction of core.
Never has, never will.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:06 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
Never has, never will.
The core responsible for Cell regenerating is located in his head. Cell states this. His head, along with the top half of his body, was destroyed by Goku's Kamehameha at point blank range. And yet Cell regenerated. That shouldn't be possible.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: More like a flat out plot hole.
Never has, never will.
The core responsible for Cell regenerating is located in his head. Cell states this. His head, along with the top half of his body, was destroyed by Goku's Kamehameha at point blank range. And yet Cell regenerated. That shouldn't be possible.
It should, if his core wasn't destroyed, which is what it comes down to and what it needs to be proven to claim it was a plothole.
Saying that since the container of his core was destroyed, thus the core was also destroyed, is a fallacy of applying conditions of the whole to each individual part.
The only thing weird is the sequence of events as we are looking at the core having to move itself back to the remainder of Cell's body or other speculative stuff like that, but that is beside the point.
Main point is: you can destroy the head, but it still doesn't mean, that you've succeeded in destroying the core, as stated in my first post.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:26 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: It still isn't, destruction of head ≠ destruction of core.
Never has, never will.
It should, if his core wasn't destroyed, which is what it comes down to and what it needs to be proven to claim it was a plothole.
Saying that since the container of his core was destroyed, thus the core was also destroyed, is a fallacy of applying conditions of the whole to each individual part.
The only thing weird is the sequence of events as we are looking at the core having to move itself back to the remainder of Cell's body or other speculative stuff like that, but that is beside the point.
Main point is: you can destroy the head, but it still doesn't mean, that you've succeeded in destroying the core, as stated in my first post.
It seems as though you're insinuating that the core is somehow made of a substance that is more resistant not getting completely vaporised compared to where the core is located (his head). If Cell's head its completely vaporised, as what Goku did, and his core can still remain, then by all means, Cell should have regenerated from when he vaporised after by the Goku/Gohan Kamehameha.

I mean, even if Goku didn't completely destroy Cell's core after destroying his head from that point blank range Kamehameha, then where is? Did it change it's location? Was the core blown away? If the latter is the case, then Cell should regenerated into a completely new body, considering what we later found out his core looks like and how he regenerates from it when most of his body is gone.

At best, it's incredibly inconsistent how Cells regeneration works. And at worst, it's a plothole. The top half of his body is completely vaporised? He can still regenerate. He blows himself up? He can still regenerate. Disintegrated by a Kamehameha? Nope. Cell can't regenerate. How was the third scenario any different from the previous two?

And take this account: Cell initially had no idea he had the ability to regenerate until it was demonstrated to him by Piccolo regenerating his arm. So how the hell did Cell figure out that he needed the core in his head to remain intact to regenerate? And how did he know he had a core in his head that allowed him to regenerate to even begin with? I mean, Cell already knows that he has Piccolo's cells in him, so how does he not know he can regenerate and there is core in his head that enables him to regenerate? That may be another plothole when you think about it.

Sorry for going off on a tangent there but I hate the Cell arc. It does not abide by its own rules.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
At best, it's incredibly inconsistent how Cells regeneration works. And at worst, it's a plothole. The top half of his body is completely vaporised? He can still regenerate. He blows himself up? He can still regenerate. Disintegrated by a Kamehameha? Nope. Cell can't regenerate. How was the third scenario any different from the previous two?

And take this account: Cell initially had no idea he had the ability to regenerate until it was demonstrated to him by Piccolo regenerating his arm. So how the hell did Cell figure out that he needed the core in his head to remain intact to regenerate? And how did he know he had a core in his head that allowed him to regenerate to even begin with? I mean, Cell already knows that he has Piccolo's cells in him, so how does he not know he can regenerate and there is core in his head that enables him to regenerate? That may be another plothole when you think about it.

Sorry for going off on a tangent there but I hate the Cell arc. It does not abide by its own rules.
My personal head-canon for Cell's survival of the initial Kamehameha is that, because he's partially insect based, his nervous system is designed similar to that of an insect, with nerve bundles acting as lesser "brains" that are capable of controlling the more basic functions (how an insect is capable of still trying to sting or walk if its head is removed). These bundles, for Cell, are capable of acting in place of the primary brain if the primary brain is damaged or destroyed, allowing him to regenerate in the situation of his head being destroyed. This would also explain how his body was able to right itself before regenerating.

As for Cell's knowledge of regeneration, I never took Cell's surprise as being indicative of him not knowing about Piccolo's ability (or his) to regenerate, so much as he was just shocked that Piccolo was just leading him on for information. He believed Piccolo was actually weakened by how much power he had absorbed, and was fooled by Piccolo's feigning weakness. It was Piccolo who made the suggestion that Cell didn't know about his regenerative powers, not Cell himself.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:30 pm

When Cell regenerated with a Zenkai, there was no head to speak of, but a single organism from which to grow. He rebuilt himself as if there was another head inside, so take that as a clue of his core being moved in that moment, when it hadn't been like that before. It's only a justification... Cell spoke about his current state after all. He would have continued regenerating.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:41 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:

My personal head-canon for Cell's survival of the initial Kamehameha is that, because he's partially insect based, his nervous system is designed similar to that of an insect, with nerve bundles acting as lesser "brains" that are capable of controlling the more basic functions (how an insect is capable of still trying to sting or walk if its head is removed). These bundles, for Cell, are capable of acting in place of the primary brain if the primary brain is damaged or destroyed, allowing him to regenerate in the situation of his head being destroyed. This would also explain how his body was able to right itself before regenerating.

As for Cell's knowledge of regeneration, I never took Cell's surprise as being indicative of him not knowing about Piccolo's ability (or his) to regenerate, so much as he was just shocked that Piccolo was just leading him on for information. He believed Piccolo was actually weakened by how much power he had absorbed, and was fooled by Piccolo's feigning weakness. It was Piccolo who made the suggestion that Cell didn't know about his regenerative powers, not Cell himself.
Hmm. Nice theory. That could actually work if applied in the story well.

If Cell knew he could regenerate, then shouldn't he have told Piccolo a single damn word about his origin and what his plan was considering he should have known that Piccolo could regenerate as he already knew that Piccolo's cells were in his body. Either Cell suddenly forgot he and Piccolo could regenerate, or Cell was already aware of that, and he just went full retard and told Piccolo what he going to do for shits and giggles.

And Cell does imply he didn't know that Piccolo couldn't regenerate:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Cell seemed pretty certain that Piccolo had permanently lost an arm wouldn't be able to fight any longer because of it.

That scenario is nonsensical no matter what way you look at it.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:33 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Fat Buu survived against Vegeta because his pieces were just blown away, but not destroyed.
I agree if this. If Vegeta were right on top of Buu, like 16 was with Cell when he attempted to blow himself up, I think he may have been able to kill Buu. As it is, though, he just blew him to pieces rather than enveloping him in the blast.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:42 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: And Cell does imply he didn't know that Piccolo couldn't regenerate:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Cell seemed pretty certain that Piccolo had permanently lost an arm wouldn't be able to fight any longer because of it.

That scenario is nonsensical no matter what way you look at it.
Again, I don't take that as him actually forgetting or not knowing. I take it as Cell just thinking Piccolo is a lot worse off than he actually is (Piccolo definitely playing that up, what with the heavy breathing and feigning weakness) and Cell just arrogantly accepting it.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:42 am

Lord Beerus wrote: It seems as though you're insinuating that the core is somehow made of a substance that is more resistant not getting completely vaporised compared to where the core is located (his head). If Cell's head its completely vaporised, as what Goku did, and his core can still remain, then by all means, Cell should have regenerated from when he vaporised after by the Goku/Gohan Kamehameha.

I mean, even if Goku didn't completely destroy Cell's core after destroying his head from that point blank range Kamehameha, then where is? Did it change it's location? Was the core blown away? If the latter is the case, then Cell should regenerated into a completely new body, considering what we later found out his core looks like and how he regenerates from it when most of his body is gone.

At best, it's incredibly inconsistent how Cells regeneration works. And at worst, it's a plothole. The top half of his body is completely vaporised? He can still regenerate. He blows himself up? He can still regenerate. Disintegrated by a Kamehameha? Nope. Cell can't regenerate. How was the third scenario any different from the previous two? .
There is certainly a hole with the way it's supposed to work after Goku blows away his head, because then we have to rely on headcanon to explain how it got back to the lower body and started regenerating from there, as it isn't adressed later.
For everything else, like Buu, I believe that the blasts just didn't have enough power to do the job.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:01 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: It seems as though you're insinuating that the core is somehow made of a substance that is more resistant not getting completely vaporised compared to where the core is located (his head). If Cell's head its completely vaporised, as what Goku did, and his core can still remain, then by all means, Cell should have regenerated from when he vaporised after by the Goku/Gohan Kamehameha.

I mean, even if Goku didn't completely destroy Cell's core after destroying his head from that point blank range Kamehameha, then where is it? Did it change its location? Was the core blown away? If the latter is the case, then Cell should regenerated into a completely new body, considering what we later found out what his core looks like and how he regenerates from it when most of his body is gone.

At best, it's incredibly inconsistent how Cells regeneration works. And at worst, it's a plothole. The top half of his body is completely vaporised? He can still regenerate. He blows himself up? He can still regenerate. Disintegrated by a Kamehameha? Nope. Cell can't regenerate. How was the third scenario any different from the previous two? .
There is certainly a hole with the way it's supposed to work after Goku blows away his head, because then we have to rely on headcanon to explain how it got back to the lower body and started regenerating from there, as it isn't adressed later.
For everything else, like Buu, I believe that the blasts just didn't have enough power to do the job.
Eh. I don't care at all for the Cell arc, so I won't let it bother me that much. It's just one those narrative pitfalls that Toriyama is prone to given his improvisational writing style. So... whatever.

At least Perfect Cell's design is cool. :P

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: And yet when Goku destroyed the top half of his body, where is core is located (in his head), he still regenerated.
I'm pretty sure he only needed a single Cell from the core. I think the idea is that while Goku blasted his head off he didnt totally vaporize every cell. Like when Cell exploded....youd think that would vaporize the core too.

It could also be a plot hole though.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:46 pm

The way others have tried and failed to kill Majin Boo has always made sense to me. The trick is that you have to ensure that there is no matter left behind for him to regenerate from.

Vegeta failed because while his final explosion succeeded in blasting Boo apart, there were still plenty of pieces and chunks for Boo to come back from.

Piccolo and Gotenks failed because they just set Boo's remains on fire rather than vaporizing them.

Goku succeeded because the Genki Dama was powerful enough and thorough enough to obliterate Boo in his entirety. There were no small scraps of matter for him to come back from.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)