Majin Boo Never Attacked Android 17, So 17 Decided Not To Attack Majin Boo?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Majin Boo Never Attacked Android 17, So 17 Decided Not To Attack Majin Boo?

Post by theherodjl » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:57 am

I really do wonder why Android 17 never joined the fight against Majin Boo, especially since DB Super has established that 17 had been training during the nearly 8 years prior to the Tournament of Power and is a beast. Not long after the Majin Boo arc, 17 demonstrated the results of his power in a spar and has the strength to contend with a post-god SSJ Goku, putting 17 well above Ultimate Gohan from the Boo arc.
So just where was he during the Boo debacle? Did the fate of humanity just not mean much to him on his secluded island with his family safe? Or did he just not feel obligated to attack unless he was attacked? Is that why he gave Genki energy to Goku as retribution for Boo destroying the Earth?
Thoughts?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Re: Majin Boo Never Attacked Android 17, So 17 Decided Not To Attack Majin Boo?

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:57 am

#17 didn't really seem to care that the universe might be getting erased, so he probably felt the same when Majin Boo was on his destructive spree. He would've heard everything Bobbidi said, since he allowed the world to see what he was doing. As long as the danger didn't affect him personally, it's possible that he just ignored it.

What makes me think is #17's fate after Super Boo did Genocide.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:22 am

I think he might've just gotten killed when Super Buu did that massive attack against everyone. Or Toriyama just didn't know what to do with him so he left him out.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:38 am

He probably left it to Goku (if he knew he was alive by sensing his ki) and the others.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:59 am

sintzu wrote:I think he might've just gotten killed when Super Buu did that massive attack against everyone. Or Toriyama just didn't know what to do with him so he left him out.
He couldn't have died though for many reasons.
1. Boo wouldn't be able to sense him.
2. Android 17 can surely dodge any of those beams if Tenshinhan & Chaotzu could.
3. 17 also was beyond Ultimate Gohan at this point so its doubtful a beam from Super Boo could harm him.
4. 17 has one of the strongest force field techniques of the Z Senshi, enough to tank a post-god SSJ Goku's kamehameha.

17 surely died when Pure Boo destroyed the earth but its very doubtful he was dead beforehand.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:04 am

theherodjl wrote: 1. Boo wouldn't be able to sense him.
2. Android 17 can surely dodge any of those beams if Tenshinhan & Chaotzu could.
3. 17 also was beyond Ultimate Gohan at this point so its doubtful a beam from Super Boo could harm him.
4. 17 has one of the strongest force field techniques of the Z Senshi, enough to tank a post-god SSJ Goku's kamehameha.
He's half human so maybe he could ?

This is true but if he wasn't expecting it for whatever reaosn then he could've gotten hit. He could've died protecting someone else.

That's within Super's context, not the manga's. If we go by Super's logic then so was Krillin. :lol:

Again, this isn't within the context of the manga. Last we saw him he was Piccolo's level and nothing afterwards suggests otherwise as he wasn't brought up again.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:22 am

sintzu wrote:
theherodjl wrote: 1. Boo wouldn't be able to sense him.
He's half human so maybe he could ?

This is true but if he wasn't expecting it for whatever reaosn then he could've gotten hit. He could've died protecting someone else.

That's within Super's context, not the manga's. If we go by Super's logic then so was Krillin. :lol:

Again, this isn't within the context of the manga. Last we saw him he was Piccolo's level and nothing afterwards suggests otherwise as he wasn't brought up again.
Androids cannot be sensed, 17 & 18 were not sensed by the Z Senshi even on their own doorstep.
17 would have to be very suppressed for that to occur, at best it would be an unpleasant surprise.
Super has effectively over written the past tense of the manga, it does create plot holes sure...but it does count.
Toriyama has never been great at being consistent but Super is his own & Toei's continuation of Z's events, they can't just be thrown out for the sake of the consistency of older material.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:36 am

theherodjl wrote:Toriyama has never been great at being consistent but Super is his own & Toei's continuation of Z's events.

They can't just be thrown out for the sake of the consistency of older material.
Super isn't just their thing, you've got them, Toyotarou, the DB room, Bandai and probably more involved so that's 5+ parties involved with it compared to the manga which was just Toriyama. There's also a nearly 20 year gap between the 2 so that needs to be taken into account. A recent interview pointed out just how little Toriyama is involved with things now which also makes time context more important.

When talking about an arc in Super it's easy to bring old material into account because the new material (kind of) takes it into account. When talking about old stories however, it doesn't make sense to count material that wasn't a thing until 20 years later cause within the context of the Buu arc, there was no Blue Goku or any of the new things we have now. If anything it makes thing harder to discuss cause of how little since they try to make, it seems like they just do whatever seems "cool" even though it goes against everything previously established.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:16 am

sintzu wrote:
theherodjl wrote:Toriyama has never been great at being consistent but Super is his own & Toei's continuation of Z's events.

They can't just be thrown out for the sake of the consistency of older material.
Super isn't just their thing, you've got them, Toyotarou, the DB room, Bandai and probably more involved so that's 5+ parties involved with it compared to the manga which was just Toriyama. There's also a nearly 20 year gap between the 2 so that needs to be taken into account. A recent interview pointed out just how little Toriyama is involved with things now which also makes time context more important.

When talking about an arc in Super it's easy to bring old material into account because the new material (kind of) takes it into account. When talking about old stories however, it doesn't make sense to count material that wasn't a thing until 20 years later cause within the context of the Buu arc, there was no Blue Goku or any of the new things we have now. If anything it makes thing harder to discuss cause of how little since they try to make, it seems like they just do whatever seems "cool" even though it goes against everything previously established.
That's merely an out of universe preference and doesn't actually prevent the current story from trying to bridge to the older story.
We cannot simply rely on a past tense context to fit a head canon of older concepts & plot elements being intact just to justify the invalidation of the new material simply for prior consistency, a story has to evolve and be a new product.
It is what it is.
The older material wasn't immune from multiple mediums as well, there was the manga canon, anime canon, movie canon, GT canon, as well as the Japanese video games released during the series' initial run and cameos and appearances of DB characters in non-DB material.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:45 am

Super Buu circled the palace ascertaining who was still alive on the planet. It seems like the palace affords a special observational perspective of everything that occurs on Earth. Remember how Kami was able to monitor Cell's emergence as a larvae before anyone knew who he was? I suspect #17 would have been caught in Buu's line of sight as he was looking downward. No one seems to question #8 and Tao being killed by Buu's technique despite being cyborgs as well. #17 shouldn't be any different. Plus, the daizenshuu suggests that he was killed during the blast.

Humanity Extermination Attack
First Appearance: Chapter 487
Category: ki manipulation
People: Majin Buu (evil)
Special Characteristics: A technique brought out by Majin Buu after he came to Kami’s temple following Piccolo and the others’ ki. He fires countless bending ki blasts from one hand, which wipe out the humans at the Earth’s surface. The only ones to evade this attack are Tenshinhan, Chaozu, as well as Mister Satan and Bee. Not understanding what he is seeing, Mister Satan says “Fireworks?...”. The currents of light that rained down upon the Earth are that intense. (Daizenshuu 2, p.216/Daizenshuu 4, p.112)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:00 am

theherodjl wrote:We cannot simply rely on a past tense context to fit a head canon of older concepts...

The older material wasn't immune from multiple mediums as well...
The question you're asking takes into account information that was established 20+ years later, When Toriyama wrote the Buu arc he wasn't taking what you know now into account. That's a simple fact and has nothing to do with what is or isn't canon. It's like asking where was Beerus when Omega Shenron was getting ready to kill everyone in GT, it's hard to make sense of it without pointing out that Beerus' concept didn't exist then. Another example is Videl's design and personality, you can't make sense of it without taking into account that Toriyama's been away from the franchise for the past 20 years and his views on women must've changed for him to change her that much.

The difference is that the manga was the main source for DB while everything else revolved around it. now however, Toriyama writes an outline based on what's requested from him from multiple parties then they take it and cgange it around to perfectly fit their vision. The way DB is now and before couldn't be more different.
Last edited by sintzu on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:02 am

17 was not the strongest person on Earth, Buu would fodderize him. Even now we really don't know how strong he is.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:08 am

dragon boss z wrote:17 was not the strongest person on Earth, Buu would fodderize him. Even now we really don't know how strong he is.
Super now has him on Blue Goku's level due to the "training" he did during the 7 years before Buu. That's why I'm saying to forget about Super when asking a question like this cause not only did it not exist, the writers had a completely different way of writing back then.

Both Super and GT are made to sell merchandise yet GT had nowhere near the same push and emphasis on it which shows just how much things have changed since then. They're so obsessed with selling merchandise now that not only have they gone against the original manga but also logic and plot points THEY themselves set up MONTHS later.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:35 am

#17 may have only got stronger than Buu after Buu was already defeated. Afterall he's had 7 years before Buu and 6 years after to get to Blue level.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:59 am

sintzu wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:17 was not the strongest person on Earth, Buu would fodderize him. Even now we really don't know how strong he is.
Super now has him on Blue Goku's level due to the "training" he did during the 7 years before Buu. That's why I'm saying to forget about Super when asking a question like this cause not only did it not exist, the writers had a completely different way of writing back then.

Both Super and GT are made to sell merchandise yet GT had nowhere near the same push and emphasis on it which shows just how much things have changed since then. They're so obsessed with selling merchandise now that not only have they gone against the original manga but also logic and plot points THEY themselves set up MONTHS later.
He isn't even blue level now. He was having trouble with Ribrianne who was losing to base Vegeta and even as Super Ribrianne couldn't beat base Goku.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:17 am

dragon boss z wrote:
sintzu wrote:

He isn't even blue level now. He was having trouble with Ribrianne who was losing to base Vegeta and even as Super Ribrianne couldn't beat base Goku.
Yet he somehow put up a fight against blue goku during the recruitment episodes. It shows how little logic goes into their writing.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:18 am

sintzu wrote: Yet he somehow put up a fight against blue goku during the recruitment episodes. It shows how little logic goes into their writing.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:54 pm

No. 17 didn’t even care about entering the Tournament of Power even though the universe had a possibility of getting erased. He wanted to protect his island of animals. What makes you think he would have done anything differently when Boo appeared?

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Most likely. This or Boo somehow caught him off guard while killing the earthlings and killed him.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:58 pm

dbgtFO wrote:#17 may have only got stronger than Buu after Buu was already defeated. Afterall he's had 7 years before Buu and 6 years after to get to Blue level.
The Tournament of Power arc happens like one year after Majin Boo's defeat, the DBS anime retconned the whole "many years after Majin Boo" setting that the BOG & ROF films portrayed into being set not long after the Boo arc.
I would agree that 17 could be a lot weaker a year prior, however he would still be stronger than Super Boo if he was even as strong as current Base Goku at the point of Boo's attack.
GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:Most likely. This or Boo somehow caught him off guard while killing the earthlings and killed him.
It has to be either I suppose, I imagine 17 was taking a nap and got struck. Really, why not? Ultimate Gohan was killed by Earth's destruction being unconscious so I guess 17 can die by too much R&R.