Why is Fusion so inconsistent with voices?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Logania
Regular

Why is Fusion so inconsistent with voices?

Post by Logania » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:10 pm

By that, I mean how fusion characters voices are handled is so different to each other.

Vegito/Kefla/Gotenks - Both characters of the fusion speak in unison with an echo voice effect, having this dual voice for the character.

Fused Zamasu - Has only one voice, Zamasu, yet with a similar echo voice effect of the other fusions above.

Kibito Kai/Elder Kai - Has only one voice, no echo voice effect, basically just the same character.

Surprised there isn't just a concrete fusion voice type for all characters, instead they just kinda do what they want with each fusion.

Zamasu having his voice being the only voice makes sense since it's both of his souls, but it's still half mortal with Goku and his voice.

You could say 2 Kais fused together grant a pure fusion so that it makes no weird voice effect or voice unison, but Elder Kai fused with a witch yet he has a relatively unaltered voice (forgot if the witch is in the manga, but that doesn't matter either way as the voice situation is anime only)

Anyone else find the inconsistent choice they use fusion voices rather odd?
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Banana
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Why is Fusion so inconsistent with voices?

Post by Banana » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:47 pm

I found it quite odd and noticed too, glad I'm not the only one. Maybe the production team had no regard for consistency here, or there could have been a staffing issue? I can only think of real world examples being the reasoning behind this.

I wonder if someone else can confirm?

Also I'm curious. Is it like this in English too? I've only watched all the way through in Japanese
Goku: Are you a Yoshi?
Piccolo: Yes, Goku, I'm a green ****ing dinosaur.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:26 pm

Always made perfect sense to me, as I figured the Kaioshin part is the dominant part, so it's their voice and no one elses, whereas it's more equal between the mortal mergers. Also since they are permanent, while mortal merging isn't, this is another way to express, that it isn't a perfect merger.
Finally the witch was also in the manga.

Analytic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytic » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:48 pm

I agree with the above. It seems with Old Kaioshin and Kibito-Kaioshin that Kaioshin was more dominant than the witch and Kibito. Vegetto and Gotenks seemed to be more 50% Goku and 50% Vegeta / 50% Goten and 50% Trunks.

Fusion Zamasu messes that up, but meh.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue May 01, 2018 4:33 am

Fused Zamasu has an echo effect added to his voice because it's two Zamases' voices overlapping. Fused Zamasu is the fusion between two Zamases, it doesn't matter if one of them has Goku's body, his soul is still Zamasu's.There was no dominant personality like in Kibito Kai, because they were both Zamasu. In addition, Fused Zamasu lost his echo effect once the mortal half of his body was damaged by Goku and by the Light of Justice, probably because the Black's half of the Fusion had died from Goku's Kamehameha and so only Future Zamasu was left (hence why Fused Zamasu no longer had an echoed voice).

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Tue May 01, 2018 4:53 am

Seems pretty consistent to me...

Two people of the same status (mortal, Kaioshin, etc.) = two voices overlaid on top of each other. As seen in every single one of the mortal+mortal fusions, plus Zamasu+Zamasu coming across as the same voice echoed (the one odd bit is that it's a double Zamasu voice rather than Black's voice mixed in, but I guess Potara fusion just goes by the soul and not the body. So Black contributes a Zamasu voice to the fusion since his soul is a Zamasu soul, not Goku's original... or for another example, a Ginyu fusion could potentially have a different voice than the Ginyu we know, since that purple horned guy isn't his original body.)

Two people of vastly differing status (Kaioshin + mortal witch, Kaioshin + attendant) = only the higher-ranked person's voice.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun May 06, 2018 2:24 pm

It depends really. Potara Zamasu’s voice is due to Gokou-Black (being Zamasu) and Zamasu merged together. I get what they were going for. The reason for the others is that both of their personalities are joining into one. However with Potara Zamasu, they both were Zamasu. Not really an inconsistency. With Roh-Kaiohshin and Kibito-Shin, you can’t really make a case for them.