Will Goku & Vegeta Ever Surpass Whis?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Will Goku & Vegeta Ever Surpass Whis?

Post by theherodjl » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:42 pm

Is it even possible? Whis is absurdly strong on top of having Ultra Instinct & reality-altering abilities. I think with that combination, Whis simply cannot be overtaken unless Goku finds an Infinity Gauntlet lying around somewhere.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Re: Will Goku & Vegeta Ever Surpass Whis?

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:51 pm

theherodjl wrote:Is it even possible? Whis is absurdly strong on top of having Ultra Instinct & reality-altering abilities. I think with that combination, Whis simply cannot be overtaken unless Goku finds an Infinity Gauntlet lying around somewhere.
Yes, everyone ahead of them eventually gets surpassed including deities. I can't image the power jump from Beerus to Whis is any more insurmountable than the gap from Buu to Beerus which Goku atleast temporarily closed completely

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:05 pm

The Infinity Gauntlet is explicitly powerless outside of the MU.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:22 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:Yes, everyone ahead of them eventually gets surpassed including deities. I can't image the power jump from Beerus to Whis is any more insurmountable than the gap from Buu to Beerus which Goku atleast temporarily closed completely
Well...how's he going to do it? Even mastering Ultra Instinct & marginally increasing his strength from there isn't going to let Goku beat Whis. The Angel tier is easily at minimum, a few fold the strength of the Hakaishin, and we don't even know if the Angels are really showing all that they're capable of. Its a little soon to say for sure, but I don't think Goku can surpass Whis as a mere mortal.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:24 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:The Infinity Gauntlet is explicitly powerless outside of the MU.
Well, of course, but I'm thinking more along the lines of just any old artifact/power-up that would allow Goku to overwhelm or negate the abilities of the Angels. I imagine that Goku would need something comparable to an individual universe's IG to trash Whis.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:43 pm

theherodjl wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:Yes, everyone ahead of them eventually gets surpassed including deities. I can't image the power jump from Beerus to Whis is any more insurmountable than the gap from Buu to Beerus which Goku atleast temporarily closed completely
Well...how's he going to do it? Even mastering Ultra Instinct & marginally increasing his strength from there isn't going to let Goku beat Whis. The Angel tier is easily at minimum, a few fold the strength of the Hakaishin, and we don't even know if the Angels are really showing all that they're capable of. Its a little soon to say for sure, but I don't think Goku can surpass Whis as a mere mortal.
New forms :lol:

I'm sure eventually we will get transformations that grant goku and vegeta reality warping/cancelling abilities

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:54 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:New forms :lol:

I'm sure eventually we will get transformations that grant goku and vegeta reality warping/cancelling abilities
What forms???
Vegeta has taken SSJ to a level far beyond the Godly SSJ form, and Goku has mastered a state that is the pinnacle of the body's ability to move. What new forms are they going to pull out of their tailless butts? SSJBEMUI? SSJ Infinity? Super-Duper Ultra Instinct?

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:00 pm

theherodjl wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:The Infinity Gauntlet is explicitly powerless outside of the MU.
Well, of course, but I'm thinking more along the lines of just any old artifact/power-up that would allow Goku to overwhelm or negate the abilities of the Angels. I imagine that Goku would need something comparable to an individual universe's IG to trash Whis.
Nah, he just needs his Goku Blanco form.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:14 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
theherodjl wrote:
Nah, he just needs his Goku Blanco form.
He needs to let Baby possess him?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Ssjcell
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ssjcell » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:18 pm

Maybe in the next 30 years he could if he can execute ultra instinct at well and multiply his strength...

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:16 am

Yes, they will. Eventually.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:51 am

Depending how long the series goes on for, someone like Whis could become fodder eventually.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:02 am

Bullza wrote:Depending how long the series goes on for, someone like Whis could become fodder eventually.
Yeah pretty much

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:58 am

I don't want them to, but if it's what Toriyama wants, it'll happen.

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:18 pm

Hopefully not. There are some individuals, such as Infinite Zamasu and Whis, that they should never be able to surpass. They are mortals, after all. Strong, ambitious, but ultimately, mortal. They have limits. They should not breach that treshold, It's bad for the narrative.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:37 am

If you ask me, transformations have been losing their lustre since the Cell arc. However they manage to surpass Whis I hope it doesn't have to do with yet another conceived transformation. Knowing how Dragon Ball operates, it'll probably happen anyway. Whis seems to be on another order of being not only in terms of power but also technical skill. I would be interested to see how they go about matching and surmounting Whis' dexterity and unique abilities moreso than his power level.

Waluigiman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Waluigiman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:06 pm

If they are never going to fight the Grand Priest or anyone near that level, I am fine with them being weaker than Whis. They are aleready too strong.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:39 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote:Hopefully not. There are some individuals, such as Infinite Zamasu and Whis, that they should never be able to surpass. They are mortals, after all. Strong, ambitious, but ultimately, mortal. They have limits. They should not breach that treshold, It's bad for the narrative.
Infinite Zamasu has already been surpassed by several people (1st UI Omen Goku and above, late ToP KKx20 Goku, SSBE Vegeta, GoD Toppo, SSJ2 Kefla, any Hakaishin, any Angel, any version of Jiren, any SSG or above Goku/Vegeta fusion since the ToP, DBS Broly and of course Zeno).

And you forgot that Saiyans have no limits :thumbup:
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:51 pm

Honestly, even making Beerus a benchmark was a mistake. The original series rubbed in that the gods had been surpassed a long time ago. Zamasu's arc is actually consistent with this theme: a powerful god is motivated by paranoia of mortals becoming stronger than the gods, but in the greatest irony, needs to harness the power of a mortal to actually accomplish his goal (without his body stealing trick, his arc would have ended with him getting beaten up by SS1 Goku). Ditto the Buu arc: Kaioshin is explicitly described as the highest god in the universe yet is gobsmacked by the power of the mortals. Vegeta himself spells it out when he says they've become far too strong to the point that Kaioshin, who should be amazing them, is the one in awe. They're not even the only ones to do this; Dabra is never described as a god, and Toriyama's recent comments all but confirms that he's not, yet he's explicitly the strongest in the Demon Realm and also stronger than Kaioshin. Then Buu, an ancient djinn who defeated all the top gods on his own (absorbing the two strongest to boost his own power and intelligence), comes out and knocks them all off their thrones.

Then suddenly, no, there's an even god-ier god who's stronger than what we already described as the absolute top god. It's lame and defies the previous escalation.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:41 pm

If the story calls for it then it happen. If not, then I don't see it happening at all.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.